Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #211

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
And the other question is: why does Ford bury the couple hundred $ of equipment necessary to tow at a higher rating under the weight of a bloated $$$$ package? Part of the reason I went with a Nissan pickup was I could get just the towing package without springing for a bunch of stuff that I didn't need.
Odd, it would have cost me $4400 to get the tow package in the titan.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #212

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
The tow package on our Escape was maybe $400, but it did require the 2 liter ecoboost motor, which I know adds cost. That added cost for the motor also gives you around 240 hp, and that is the primary tow "stuff." And when you're not towing, the Escape will get close to 30 mpg. We've only had ours a few days, and sure do like it!

Frank

Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #213
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Odd, it would have cost me $4400 to get the tow package in the titan.
Wow, that is a pile of money Jared. Do you know what the tow pkg consisted of?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #214

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post

And the other question is: why does Ford bury the couple hundred $ of equipment necessary to tow at a higher rating under the weight of a bloated $$$$ package? Part of the reason I went with a Nissan pickup was I could get just the towing package without springing for a bunch of stuff that I didn't need. I was looking at the Ford Escape, but calculated that the 10,000 that I saved would buy a lot of gas.

I'm sure Ford will survive quite nicely without my purchase of their product.
I agree, getting the tow package shouldn't break the bank and additional options actually reduces the maximum towing potential.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #215

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

Wow, that is a pile of money Jared. Do you know what the tow pkg consisted of?
$600 tow package, but it only came with electric mirrors, requiring he power seat/mirror/window/lock package, but that doesn't come in the base model, requiring upgrading from the xe to the se. Just another way to screw you.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #216

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I am curious. Would you new Escape owners mind looking in your owner's manual and seeing if they state any maximum trailer frontal area? I think my old Mountaineer manual specifies something like a 50 square foot limit, if memory serves. So I was wondering if they're saying anything about the Escapes in the manual.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #217

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
30 square feet for ours. Easy to find, just "googled" it.

Go here: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...scape_oct1.pdf
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #218

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I am curious. Would you new Escape owners mind looking in your owner's manual...
You can also look for yourself - Ford publishes their owners manuals online, at Personalized Vehicle Owner Information. You don't need to own any Ford to use this site.

In the 2013 manual the towing section starts on page 190, and on the next page a table of weight limits are shown, plus a note in the text saying not to exceed 20 sq ft (1.86 m2) without the towing package, or 30 sq ft (2.79 m2) with the towing package.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #219

Oklahoma
Thanks. Hmm, good online resource from Ford, I never knew about the manuals there. 30 square feet.... let's see, for a 6.5' wide trailer, that gives a max height according to their ratings of about 4.6'. Shoot, they must not be putting much of a tranny in there or something. The engine sure has plenty of gumption.

I like the Escape, and it's way way less $$ than an Explorer with 3.5L Eco, but that frontal area rating discourages me. (I tow about 25,000 miles per year.)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #220

Kansas
If you were worried about it, I would contact ford directly. There's a big difference between a flat 30' square piece, and a pretty curved 50' square piece.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #221

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
If you were worried about it, I would contact ford directly. There's a big difference between a flat 30' square piece, and a pretty curved 50' square piece.
What makes you think that anyone at Ford would contradict their official, approved-by-lawyers manual?

I agree, there's a big difference. 50 square feet with a curve will resist wind far more than 30 square feet of flat. Curves do help, but not that much... not enough to offset a 67% increase in frontal area.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #222

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
All I can say about Ford is that I will never buy another one since they keep inflicting audio on me with the video ads I get on this forum. I have the audio on my computer turned up and perhaps the cursor travels across the ad and suddenly I'm hearing a chain saw at full volume ( and everybody near me also hears it ).
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #223

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ford Frontal Area Limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can also look for yourself - Ford publishes their owners manuals online, at Personalized Vehicle Owner Information. You don't need to own any Ford to use this site.

In the 2013 manual the towing section starts on page 190, and on the next page a table of weight limits are shown, plus a note in the text saying not to exceed 20 sq ft (1.86 m2) without the towing package, or 30 sq ft (2.79 m2) with the towing package.
It's hard to believe that Ford has this limitation. In the simplest sense it means that no trailer that one can stand up in can be towed by a Ford Escape. Basically all our trailers have a flat front with rounded corners.

When I compare towing our flat faced stick built trailer and our rounded corners Scamp the difference in MPG is about 2 miles per gallon indicating to me that there isn't much difference in their coefficients of drag (effective frontal area).

I wonder id there is a miles per hour factor attached to the frontal area.

Has anyone seen frontal area as a criteria for towing with any other vehicle?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #224
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
It's hard to believe that Ford has this limitation. In the simplest sense it means that no trailer that one can stand up in can be towed by a Ford Escape.

I have to wonder if travel trailers are what any of the small SUV manufacturers have in mind. With many at a 1500 lb limit, I suspect the folks with the utility trailer for dump runs or a boat/snowmobile trailer is who they want to satisfy. The square foot ratings seems to confirm that. Raz

Tags
escape