Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #301

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I test drove a 2013 (red 4wd 2L turbo) Escape on Saturday, and an Explorer 3.5L turbo, back to back. The Explorer felt like a truck, the Escape like a sporty car. The Escape cockpit felt like a good fit, was comfortable, and I didn't feel like getting out when the drive was over. However, I was underwhelmed by the 2L turbo's acceleration in comparison to my old Highlander (let alone the Explorer, which blows the doors off my HL).

In other words, I want an Escape... with a 3.5L turbo! If I only towed a Snoozy or a Scamp on occasion, rather than towing as part of making a living, I think I would get an Escape. It felt right.

From the Ford dealer I went to test drive a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It felt less trucklike than the Explorer...the ride was significantly more refined. I was especially drawn to the digital transmission temp readout. When the diesel comes out, I'll have to drive it again.

I'm just thinking ahead. If the old Mountaineer (2000) dies I want to have some idea what to get. But barring ill circumstances I'd rather hold off a year or two on another monthly payment.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #302

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I test drove a 2013 (red 4wd 2L turbo) Escape on Saturday, and an Explorer 3.5L turbo, back to back. The Explorer felt like a truck, the Escape like a sporty car. The Escape cockpit felt like a good fit, was comfortable, and I didn't feel like getting out when the drive was over. However, I was underwhelmed by the 2L turbo's acceleration in comparison to my old Highlander (let alone the Explorer, which blows the doors off my HL).

In other words, I want an Escape... with a 3.5L turbo! If I only towed a Snoozy or a Scamp on occasion, rather than towing as part of making a living, I think I would get an Escape. It felt right.

From the Ford dealer I went to test drive a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It felt less trucklike than the Explorer...the ride was significantly more refined. I was especially drawn to the digital transmission temp readout. When the diesel comes out, I'll have to drive it again.

I'm just thinking ahead. If the old Mountaineer (2000) dies I want to have some idea what to get. But barring ill circumstances I'd rather hold off a year or two on another monthly payment.
The fastest test of a fully loaded 2013 2.0 4x4 Escape was done by Truth about cars .com, 0-60=6.4sec and 1/4=14.95@91.2. I cant find a quicker Highlander time?
ONEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #303

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Daniel
That's good to know about the flat rear cargo deck on the 2013. I'll have to tell the salesman because he did not know that it was adjustable.
Looks like Ford is playing games with the roof rack. In the 13 it was in a cargo package for about $400. In the 2014 you have to get a 201A package that includes everything but the kitchen sink and roof rack cross bars. Then the roof rack cross bars have to be ordered separately.
The bad thing about shopping on line for an Escape is they usually don't list the tow package. You have to look for the 2.0 eng. and then look at the rear pictures of the cars for the hitch.
I'm like Mike, just shopping for now. But for towing a MFGRV It really looks like a great multi-purpose light tow vehicle.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #304

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We love our new 2.0 liter ecoboost Escape. We have not really put petal to the metal yet, no need. Car is very peppy as it is with a light foot! With luck, next year it will be hauling an egg of some kind. Still trying to figure that one out...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #305

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I dunno, that one I drove certainly didn't push me back into the seat one bit when I hit the gas. 6.4 seconds should have felt like a '73 Corvette. I wonder... maybe something was set up wrong at the factory on that one I tried. Maybe I'll go to another dealer sometime and try a different one. I have seen a 0-60 time listed for the Explorer Sport Ecoboost at 5.9 seconds, and it felt that way to me, but the Escape was way off from that feeling. (Yes, I made sure it was the 2L turbo and not the 1.6L.)

P.S.: '08 HL = 7.2 seconds
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #306

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Towed my 13' Boler for the first time last week with my 2013 Ford Escape SE 2.0L Turbo with tow package. Barely felt the trailer behind and WOW what power. Even in the rain on the way back on Sunday the 4WD sure feels nice towing the trailer. No wheel spin or turbo lag at all. Glad I decided on the Escape. As for pulling you into the seat when you punch it. Mine does and I have driven some powerful cars in my day. My Escape goes like hell but then I did break it in right.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #307

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I dunno, that one I drove certainly didn't push me back into the seat one bit when I hit the gas. 6.4 seconds should have felt like a '73 Corvette. I wonder... maybe something was set up wrong at the factory on that one I tried. Maybe I'll go to another dealer sometime and try a different one. I have seen a 0-60 time listed for the Explorer Sport Ecoboost at 5.9 seconds, and it felt that way to me, but the Escape was way off from that feeling. (Yes, I made sure it was the 2L turbo and not the 1.6L.)

P.S.: '08 HL = 7.2 seconds
Their is a feature on most Ford car's now called "my key", a parent can set some perameters like top speed and max sound levels and other things. Maybe that was activated on the one you drove. The Explorer Sport with tow package and 3.5 Ecoboost is $41,000. Yes, Car and Driver 0-60 =5.9 1/4 mile=14.5 sec @97mph. They also observed only 18mpg...
ONEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #308

Name: Tex
Trailer: shopping
Texas
2013 Escape SE Turbo with Tow Pkg

I have the tow package for the purpose of both cargo trailer (for moving, etc., etc.) and for towing a boat (hopefully).

I have not yet towed with the Escape, but have been mostly pleased with the vehicle, although the AC can be wacky and seems to "freeze up" during use in the 110F temps for some reason.

Love to hear feedback on those who have towed with the SE Turbo as I am now trying to figure what exactly I can purchase, in terms of trailer. This will be my first vehicle for towing and that means understanding GVWR and GAWR, etc. and how that might tie together with the 3500 pound towing capacity.

Anyone with experience towing is welcome to explain/advise. :-) In the mean time, I'm trying to read through Ford information and website definitions etc. so I don't torch the 2.0 EcoBoost and make it an EcoBust. LOL
Tex_Army_FISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #309

Name: Stephane
Trailer: U-Haul
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Army_FISTER View Post
Anyone with experience towing is welcome to explain/advise. :-) In the mean time, I'm trying to read through Ford information and website definitions etc. so I don't torch the 2.0 EcoBoost and make it an EcoBust. LOL

read your owners manual, all the truth is in there.
rouxstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #310

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
OK, I am not the only odd person in my family. My brother is putting an Ecoboost from an F150 into a Ford LCF. This stands for Low Cab Forward. It is basically a small cab over design that they only made a few years. He is having a difficult time of it. He originally got the engine, instrument cluster, and harness, but it turns out that is not enough. There are quite a few electronic modules that he needs as well. One is the body control module. I had a difficult time trying to figure out what that would do. I was quite surprised to hear that this is basically the network switch, and power supply for the high, and medium speed networks. It is actually the steering column that he needs. Specifically the key. Wont run without it.

He is struggling to get through the 7000+ pages of the manual. Two Fridays ago, around the camp fire, he read me the part that describes the optional trailer brake controller. It uses the yawl sensor, and the steering wheel sensor to determine if the trailer is swaying, then it automatically applies just the trailer brakes. Wow. I think that in a few years, (maybe 5) I will have to get an Escape with the Ecoboost and the towing package, and optional trailer brake control.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #311
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

He is struggling to get through the 7000+ pages of the manual.
Unfortunately there have been 526 design changes since the manual was printed

Only one guy knows them all.

He now works for GM.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #312

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
He was on about page 5500 when he found the trailer brake control details.
He wont be using this, because there is a different configuration that has to be uploaded for each vehicle, (different physics) and they don't have a LCF configuration.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #313

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I couldn't begin to imagine swapping a modern engine into anything else. Heck, BMW has a hard time swapping a new engine into a new BMW!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #314

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think the point of this engine-swapping discussion is important: the systems of a modern vehicle are complex and highly integrated, so it pays to buy it correctly configured rather than expecting to upgrade it later.

David, I admire your brother's efforts, but if he wants a commercial truck with the 3.5 L EcoBoost maybe he should just wait for the Transit. The LCF truck normally known as the Ford Cargo (cleverly branded "LCF" here) was originally a Ford UK design (as is the Transit); I'm not surprised that compatibility with the EcoBoost is poor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape