Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Ok so I guess by all the comments, I will be the only on towing this summer with a 2013 Ford Escape on this website. First time I have been first in a long time.
Wear it like a badge of honor, you are now THE expert.

And thanks for making my pension check cash.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is always a first time!!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tom,

Do use your Escape Hybrid to tow? If so what kind of performance do you get?

Thank you Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #18

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Tom,

Do use your Escape Hybrid to tow? If so what kind of performance do you get?

Thank you Norm
Norm, I'm a flatlander, so I can't speak to mountain towing. Driving at 55 - 60mph, I was getting 22 - 25 MPG towing (with canoe). Acceleration is about the same as the V6. Of course that wouldn't hold true up a long mountain grade, but for passing , merging, etc it is reasonably peppy.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #19

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
This is interesting; I'm enjoying reading the discussion. Gotta say I love my Mazda Tribute (Escape's cousin). I'm not up on the latest models but I can speak for the durability of mine. 2001, v6 (based on the Taurus v6), w/Class IV hitch. I've hauled the kids and pulled various trailers over the years. Used both as a commuter and on long road trips. I just got back from a long trip last week with it and our camper. It's got over 200k miles on it and still going strong.

Gotta say I'm impressed by the durability of it. It's done everything I've asked it to do over the years. I plan to keep riding it till it drops. If the wife gets her way, we'll be hitching up the camper and driving from Ga to Mount Rushmore sometime this year.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #20

Florida
Sean,

We're forever asked our favorite place and Ginny consistantly responds Mount Rushmore. i recall the evening program was very good.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #21

Florida
Tom,

Generally the mountains are not a problem for our Honda. What ever the fuel cost of going up hill you get some of it back coming down. Coming back from Crater Lake we got over 30 mpg, too bad it's not all down hill. I imagine a hybrid would do even better.

I suspect the C-Max may be more able due to the better low end torque characteristics.

I read about the eCVT transmission and it is interesting but how does the control compare to that available in a manual transmission?

By the way what does your trailer weigh? ....tongue weight?

I found the address of the engineering head of the C-Max project and am going to send him a letter about towing with the C-Max. I'm want to know about the possible frame differences between the NA and European versions.

Thanks for the information.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Coming back from Crater Lake we got over 30 mpg

I call that flat miraculous if you were towing that Scamp 16...
What was the distance covered while achieving that mileage?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #23

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Tom,

Generally the mountains are not a problem for our Honda. What ever the fuel cost of going up hill you get some of it back coming down. Coming back from Crater Lake we got over 30 mpg, too bad it's not all down hill. I imagine a hybrid would do even better.
Maybe. A hybrid really shines in city traffic because some of the energy normally wasted in braking is recaptured.

Quote:
I suspect the C-Max may be more able due to the better low end torque characteristics.
I don't know much about the C-Max, as that all happened after I retired 6 years ago. The eCVT really gives you the ultimate capability of allowing the engine to run where it needs to be. Rumors are that the Escape hybrid will return.

Quote:
I read about the eCVT transmission and it is interesting but how does the control compare to that available in a manual transmission?
It has a "low range" on the gear shift, but it actually just changes to a different computer strategy with more aggressive regenerative braking, even when you roll off the throttle. To me, it feels more like an ordinary automatic transmission with lots of gears as opposed to a manual.

Quote:
By the way what does your trailer weigh? ....tongue weight?
It is about 1600 total with 150 on the tongue. I added 10" brakes so it is easy to control.

Quote:
I found the address of the engineering head of the C-Max project and am going to send him a letter about towing with the C-Max. I'm want to know about the possible frame differences between the NA and European versions.

Thanks for the information.
I hope that you get the answers you need. Much is filtered through lawyers and in my experience, towing with this class of vehicle is an afterthought.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #24

Florida
Francesca,

It was towing our Scamp 16 with our Honda CRV, please note it was mostly a downhill run from Crater Lake with very little traffic. The total mileage was about 200 miles. The mpgs were dramatically better than we normally get.

It was quite clear that as we headed down the mountain high mpgs would happen, since we were often getting instanatenous mpgs well over 100 mpg.

When I look over our mpg history its clear when we were driving into a head wind. The downhill run was a hoot, imagining that kind of mileage all the time if I had a little diesel ot the equivalent.

With the coming new mpg regulations we may get those small diesels after all.

Safe travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
It was quite clear that as we headed down the mountain high mpgs would happen, since we were often getting instanatenous mpgs well over 100 mpg.

I don't understand this "instantaneous mpgs" part, but assume that you're talking about some sort of instrument that has nothing to do with the fuel in the tank/miles traveled.

I do better with "I bought this many gallons of fuel at (x) miles on the trip meter and bought this many gallons of fuel at (x) miles, thus getting (y) miles per gallon".

Got anything like that?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

I don't understand this "instantaneous mpgs" part, but assume that you're talking about some sort of instrument that has nothing to do with the fuel in the tank/miles traveled.

I do better with "I bought this many gallons of fuel at (x) miles on the trip meter and bought this many gallons of fuel at (x) miles, thus getting (y) miles per gallon".
  • Average MPG: miles travelled per gallon burned over some period of time, such as a whole tank of gas - calculated by dividing miles by gallons taken from the tank
  • Instantaneous MPG: miles travelled per gallon burned over a very short period of time, typically a second or so in a typical vehicle display - calculated the same way... miles (or miles per hour speed) divided by gallons taken from the tank in that time (or gallons per hour of flow rate from the tank)
It is the change in gas in the tank and distance travelled, but the tank level gauge is not nearly accurate to do this, so the fuel flow rate is measured, or calculated from the rate and size of pulses of fuel injected. If you watch the instantaneous number and average the values you see every 100 feet you get the result as the average MPG.

If Norm was coasting downhill at 50 miles/hour and his Honda's engine was burning 1/2 gallon per hour to idle, that would be 50/0.5=100 MPG. If he drove downhill for 30 miles and burned 1 gallon doing it, that might be an average of 20 miles with the instantaneous reading showing 22 MPG (0.9 gal) and 10 miles with it showing 100 MPG (0.1 gal), or 30 MPG average. To bad you can't get very far just coasting...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #27

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Wow lots of interesting info posted but still don't have the answer I was looking for and that would be who else is towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? Am I going to be the only one this summer once the factory builds it for me?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #28

Florida
Rick,
Floyd is a regular poster on the site, met him for the first time at the FL Scamp camp. I believe he tows with an Escape and is very satisfied. I don't believe he has a 2013, rather new, but certainly his is of the same pedigree.

We looked at a 2013 this week and it's certainly a good looking vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
escape