Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #281

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Thanks for the link, Steve. The bit I read does sound more authoritative.

I liked the title of the "U" graph: "All the charts and slides here are from FHWA studies or Speed Limit Workshops, and ALL dramatically illustrate the disparity between public policy and widely held myths about the safety effects of speed and the actual research findings on best practice for setting speed limits and relative risk."

Disparity between policy, myths and actual research.... Gee, they could be talking about the safe towing threads here!

BTW, a fact I did pick out was the notion that freeway accidents of any type are extremely rare (regardless of speed) outside of interchange and other transition areas.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #282

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
As long as Ford's intention in posting frontal area numbers is merely cautionary about expected driving performance (it'll slow ya down) and not a red flag warning about ruining some part of the vehicle (or worse), I guess the Escape 2.0L Ecoboost could prove to be an excellent egg tug. Certainly better performance in tough headwinds and on hills than our stalwart old friends the Subarus, which have done admirably for many folks over the years. I think the challenge with the Egoboost (I couldn't resist throwing in a pun, no offense) might be in trying to keep the foot somewhat out of the accelerator... with all that HP and torque, it will be so very tempting to push it harder than usual and perhaps cause an eventual increase in drive train maintenance. I mean, the fact that they put 30 sq feet on the Escape vs 60 on the F250 could be seen as an indicator of what Ford expects our ultimate personal experiences to reflect, down the road a piece.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #283
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
I have researched the heck out of the 3.5L Ecoboosts and they seem to working well even when pushed. If the 2.0 is as hearty then there is not much to be concerned about. Guess time will tell but it sure looks promising.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #284

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I had/have the 3.5L Ecoboost in my last two Flexes and I can attest that it's mighty hard to keep my foot out of the boost juice. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. Tows the Casita just great too.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #285

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Rick, did you need to upgrade to a 7 pin RV plug? If so, where did you route the wires?

I'm still trying to find out how to remove interior panels to run wire from the back to the front, but about all I can find on the web is how to remove door panels, which is of no use to me!

When do you start towing? Or have you already?

Frank
Pull the rubber weather strip up partialy along the bottom of the body side door openings (used to call these rocker panels),Then the interior plastic trim panels all snap in and out.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #286

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Okay Daniel, thanks man! I just went down and looked and at least I can see how to get the rubber weatherstrip up, and it looks like those panels do just snap out.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Ford to install a 7 pin connector out back, and tuck 4 wres up under the dash for a brake controller when they sell one of the vehicles with a tow package? Sheesh!

Frank
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #287

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
Quote:
Okay Daniel, thanks man! I just went down and looked and at least I can see how to get the rubber weatherstrip up, and it looks like those panels do just snap out.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Ford to install a 7 pin connector out back, and tuck 4 wres up under the dash for a brake controller when they sell one of the vehicles with a tow package? Sheesh!

Frank
Most people just run the wire under the body and zip strip in on. add a hours time for running inside. Some one probobly did a case study for 7-pin conector...I like how the f-150 is all intagrated and comes with built in controll now.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #288

New York
I'm probably gonna take it up to my buddy's garage, put it on one of his 4 lifts and see how I might run wires underneath. I still think I want to run them inside. I need to get under the driver's side dash and find this violet wire with the brown stripe too!

Frank
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #289

Name: Bert
Trailer: Oliver
Minnesota
We have been towing a 17' Casita with a 2013 Ford Escape. Tows great with the Reese ED hitch (4000 lbs capacity) and electric brake controlling the Casita's electric brake. Recommend strongly that towing over 1500 pounds without brakes is courting disaster, especially downhill!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #290

New York
Hitch capacity and vehicle tow capacity are two different things. If you have the 2 liter ecoboost you have a tow capacity of 3500#s. I think that would be a perfect vehicle for a 17' Casita!

Did you install your 7 pin connector, or have someone else do it?

Good luck!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmarken View Post
We have been towing a 17' Casita with a 2013 Ford Escape. Tows great with the Reese ED hitch (4000 lbs capacity) and electric brake controlling the Casita's electric brake. Recommend strongly that towing over 1500 pounds without brakes is courting disaster, especially downhill!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #291

Oklahoma
Quote:

Frank
Yeah, but you know, it might cost them $1.68 to do all that....
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #292

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmarken View Post
Most Casita 17s have a pretty high tongue weight. Does yours have no front bath?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #293

New York
I see Chevy advertises that their new Equinox with a V6 and tow package will do 3500#s. Guess what kind of plug comes with it? Yup, flat 4!

When I bought my 4 cylinder Canyon, the idiot salesman was trying to tel me it would tow 6000#s, it was right there in a label on the hitch! Nothing like new car salesman when you need a tow package and correct answers!

Frank
Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #294

Name: Bert
Trailer: Oliver
Minnesota
2013 Ford Escape

Had a knowledgeable RV repair shop install the brake controller.

Tags
escape