Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Rick,
Just went back to your first post and can't tell what size Boler you have but if it's a 13 just about any thing can tow a 13. Certainly your tow rating seems adequate for a Boler 17.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #30

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
My Boler is a 13', but what people don't realize is that sure anything can pull the Boler but you have to consider total weight of the trailer as well as everything in it and how much stuff you have in the tug and I would bet that most people are over 1500# which is the tow limit of most TUGS.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #31

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Tom,

Do use your Escape Hybrid to tow? If so what kind of performance do you get?

Thank you Norm
Just remember that hybrid vehicles are only efficient with the engine "off" and any load variations on the drivetrain will cause it to turn on.

Most towing is done cruising 55+ down the road. The gas engine would always be on for that. I'm willing to bet that your CRV gets better fuel economy than any Hybrid SUV while towing. Hybrid fuel economy on the highway is lower than that of the same gas engine vehicle. (Tons of battery weight in the back+ the additional drag of the hybrid drive components)

Just my opinion. I haven't worked on hybrid "cars" for a few years. The only ones I've had lately are from a DPW fleet of bucket trucks- a truly stupid idea.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #32

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
... I would bet that most people are over 1500# which is the tow limit of most TUGS.
While it may be true that 1500 pounds is the tow limit of most cars, very few vehicles which are used as tugs have a limit which is that low. I agree that most of our trailers are over 1500 pounds gross operating weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #33

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
Just remember that hybrid vehicles are only efficient with the engine "off" and any load variations on the drivetrain will cause it to turn on.

Most towing is done cruising 55+ down the road. The gas engine would always be on for that. I'm willing to bet that your CRV gets better fuel economy than any Hybrid SUV while towing. Hybrid fuel economy on the highway is lower than that of the same gas engine vehicle. (Tons of battery weight in the back+ the additional drag of the hybrid drive components)

Just my opinion. I haven't worked on hybrid "cars" for a few years. The only ones I've had lately are from a DPW fleet of bucket trucks- a truly stupid idea.
A hybrid is more efficient because it recaptures some of the energy normally wasted in braking. For continuous operation with little braking, a hybrid doesn't make much sense. In applications with a lot of braking like a garbage truck or UPS truck, a hybrid can make a lot of sense. I've seen some simple hydraulic systems that merely capture the braking energy as hydraulic pressure, then release it to launch the vehicle. These systems can be a lot less expensive than an electrical hybrid with batteries and motor generators.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #34

Florida
Hybrid,
If one were to purchase a CMax Energi every day 20 of our max daily max of 150 miles would be virtually free miles. Last year we drove 23,000 miles in 315 days. If we drove 20 'free' electric miles each day that would amount to 6,300 electric miles on our trip or about 1/4 of our miles.

This totally discounts any thing recaptured.

Back with more later....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Where does the free electricity come from, Norm?

I wanna get me some of that!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #36

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Since I daily drive less then 20 miles, a free 20 miles a day would rock! They probably want more then the $400 I spent on the poop fly though.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #37

Florida
Francesca
Even if you had to pay for it is inexpensive. When we're in an electric site the camping charges are the same as for a 45' motorhome; I would not feel guilty plugging in at night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #38

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Francesca
Even if you had to pay for it is inexpensive. When we're in an electric site the camping charges are the same as for a 45' motorhome; I would not feel guilty plugging in at night.
The point is that someone does have to pay for electricity, one way or another.

This is a pet peeve of mine. This kind of discussion usually centers on gas mileage/cost as if electricity is simply free.

It's not. Anywhere.

And in the case of electric vehicles, if the true cost ever becomes part of the discussion I think many will be surprised to find that it's likely more expensive than any other form of transport.

And by "true cost", that must include that borne by taxpayers who subsidize that industry and in some cases are now being asked to build "fueling stations" and other supportive infrastructure for it.

"Free/low cost to the beneficiary" is not the same thing as "free/low cost".

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #39

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Francesca
Good point. This would be a unique opportunity to max out the "free" electricity aspect of camping.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Francesca,

It was towing our Scamp 16 with our Honda CRV, please note it was mostly a downhill run from Crater Lake with very little traffic. The total mileage was about 200 miles. The mpgs were dramatically better than we normally get.

It was quite clear that as we headed down the mountain high mpgs would happen, since we were often getting instanatenous mpgs well over 100 mpg.

When I look over our mpg history its clear when we were driving into a head wind. The downhill run was a hoot, imagining that kind of mileage all the time if I had a little diesel ot the equivalent.

With the coming new mpg regulations we may get those small diesels after all.

Safe travels.
My favorite example of a MPG indicator lying to you is when I filled up the tank at Cloudcraft, NM, which is at the top of a long downgrade. I have a ScanGuage that gets reset at each tank filling. After resetting it & starting down a 16 mile downgrade it told me near the bottom that I could expect to get 4582 miles out of that 15 gallon tank of gas! Boy would that be nice. Unfortunately, by the time I reached Las Cruces it was back to normal readings.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #41

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I agree that as a broad societal proposition electric plug-in vehicles are not currently as green or as economical a solution as many claim. Yet on an individual case-by-case basis they might make sense for some, and I will not criticize anyone who finds them personally advantageous.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #42

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
A hybrid is more efficient because it recaptures some of the energy normally wasted in braking. For continuous operation with little braking, a hybrid doesn't make much sense. In applications with a lot of braking like a garbage truck or UPS truck, a hybrid can make a lot of sense. I've seen some simple hydraulic systems that merely capture the braking energy as hydraulic pressure, then release it to launch the vehicle. These systems can be a lot less expensive than an electrical hybrid with batteries and motor generators.
The problem with using a hybrid on a heavy duty truck is that much of the wasted fuel is from idling with accessories such as hydraulic pumps running.

I've dealt with the hydraulic systems. Interesting, but not really worth the extra maintenance/weight for the small fuel savings.

The biggest waste of fuel is the driver keeping the pedal on the floorboard. A hybrid saves NO fuel when running foot to the floor.

Tags
escape