Anyone towing with a Subaru Forester competitor? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #43

Trailer: Boler
Yukon
It replaced my 2001 Forester (which I loved). The 2010 definately has more head room, and feels more spacious. Maybe it's just an elaborate illusion!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #44

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Hi eveybody.

I am trying to figure out why I get so much grief about towing with my VW Golf when I read post after post about people towing with a Subaru.

My car is rated to tow 1321 lbs (600kg) unbraked and 3086 lbs (1400kg) braked.

When folks talk about towing with Subaru - are you assuming a trailer WITH brakes. From what I can see from Subaru's website, the rating is only 1000 lbs without brakes and increases when the trailer has brakes. Subaru (like VW) does not recommend towing with these cars and do not install hitches.

Usually when I mention the VW Golf, I'm accused of wanting to tow over weight or pushing the limits. I want to tow a 13' 1977 Trillium - WITH BRAKES...with a class I hitch (max 2000 lbs anyway) - it seems I'm well below the 3086 lb limit.

Any support out there from Subaru owners????

Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Ah, yes…the perennial dog-and-pony show…

Personally, I always wonder why anybody would ask the recommendation of strangers on such a fundamentally critical topic.

What do you (and that would be the global you, not anyone specifically) know about the history of the person(s) making the recommendation? Maybe a professional tractor trailer driver has a completely different tolerance level for towing than a novice. Maybe the advice giver is a parent and are driving with children and when they have others in the car the tolerance for personal risk is lower. Maybe the advice giver is by nature a Timid Timmy or Tilly. Maybe they're Evel Kneivel-like. Maybe Darwinism works and the so-called experts who've had a problem aren't here to report. Maybe they survived but it scared the heck out them and they're done with it. I know some who are living in an alternate universe where the laws of physics apparently don't apply.

Perhaps all the risks people recommend don't cause problems in "normal" driving. Here's a Flash: Most accidents don't happen in "normal" driving, they happen in the extremes. Bad weather, late at night, when tired, on poorly maintained equipment, hilly terrain or curvy roads. The closest call I've had while towing was when a deer materialized at the side of the road and it started to cross over. This was a full-on panic stop. That's not a typical situation while at the same time not that unusual. Perhaps the reason I had very little damage to the vehicle was because I was operating with a safety margin. Not right at the edges of all the different envelopes.

I know a guy who used to tow his trailer with a lawn tractor. Okay, so it wasn't on the road, it was to move it around the yard. Still, some people will tow with anything. However, lack of an accident so far is not the same as being safe. As they say, Past performance is not a guarantee of future success. Surviving the first round of Russian Roulette doesn't mean it's an acceptable pastime.

What works for me is to carry a cushion. In speed, in towing capacity, in air pressure, in following distance. But heck, I hardly ever listen even to myself.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #46

Nova Scotia
Registry
This is precisely the response I am baffled by.

I am new to towing RVs so I automatically go to my vehicles manual to get information about towing with this specific car. The max capacity looks great to me...3086 lbs and I want to tow about 1500 lbs. Less than half.

So again...why do I get such a response (see last post)???

If I can't go by my vehicles manual, where do I get such information? Instinct? Forums? I just don't understand the reaction to such a practical question...

What kind of 'cushion' is the previous poster referring to? Is their an organization to call, a website I can look up? Again, where do I go for such info?

If I'm not supposed to trust my manual - because everyone seems to ignore that that my car is rated to tow DOUBLE what I intend to - then how do I know what is safe?

I'm not asking for approval from this forum - instead I would like to know - how do I know what is safe to tow with my vehicle.

I would have thought my manual...

...still confused. Melanie
Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #47

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I'm all in favor of following your manual. I work for an auto company. I know what we do to arrive at our tow ratings. Nothing I said was intended to suggest you ignore the manual.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #48

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Hi eveybody.

When folks talk about towing with Subaru - are you assuming a trailer WITH brakes. From what I can see from Subaru's website, the rating is only 1000 lbs without brakes and increases when the trailer has brakes. Subaru (like VW) does not recommend towing with these cars and do not install hitches.

Usually when I mention the VW Golf, I'm accused of wanting to tow over weight or pushing the limits. I want to tow a 13' 1977 Trillium - WITH BRAKES...with a class I hitch (max 2000 lbs anyway) - it seems I'm well below the 3086 lb limit.

Any support out there from Subaru owners????

Subaru DOES install hitches on Outbacks and
Foresters which are what most of us tow with. And the cushion is built in by
US regulations. A Subaru rated to tow 1000 pounds of a brakeless trailer here is rated for double that elsewhere. So I don't worry about any more cushion. I personally do not want to tow 2400 brakeless or not with a Subaru, I would not make it over the hills at a decent speed. Maybe if I lived in Kansas. But I would probably go to 1500 with a newer Subaru and with trailer brakes. The
Forester is rated for 5000 lbs in Australia, I believe. I'd have to check as I looked several years ago.

Bobbie
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #49

Trailer: Boler
Yukon
I tow with a Subaru Forester and followed my user manual's description. The capacity with brakes on a normal engine (non turbo) is 2,400 lbs and increases to 2,700 with a turbo model.

I may be wrong here, but I believe that many of the AWD competitors like Rav and CRV only allow for 1,000 lbs no increase based on trailer brakes.

I would agree that you should follow what your user manual says. If VW allows you to tow more than 1,000 lbs that's awesome... we've found another great tow vehicle for small fiberglass trailers!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #50

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Melanie,
You should only tow your Trillium with a Mack truck with a huge diesel engine to ensure you have a safety buffer.
Just kidding! I have towed my Scamp 16 with my Outback, but only because I equipped my Outback with a brake controller and I do not exceed the limits set by Subaru for my particular vehicle in my owners manual. I do keep my speed at 60 MPH or less but that's mainly to reduce any propensity for sway and because my trailer tires are only rated to 65MPH. As long as you comply with your manual and drive cautiously you should be fine.

John
Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #51

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thank you John!