Anyone towing with a Subaru Forester competitor? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Anyone towing with a Subaru Forester competitor?

Like Rav-4, other types in the same class? I just want to see what else is out there that can still tow.

I'm also interested in knowing if anyone is using a Forester near its 2500 lb max?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I hesitate to respond because we tow with our Honda CRV, 4 cylinder, manual transmission for four years. Many think the Honda is too small. We base our use on European standards for the same car. In Europe large trucks and other vehicles are simply not available in the same way as the USA. People just tow with lighter vehicles. In Europe the CRV is rated for 1500 pounds if your trailler doesn't have electric brakes and 3000 pounds with electric brakes.

This year we towed a Casita 16 and have just purchased a Scamp 16 (because it's taller inside than a Casita by 5 inches). This winter we resisted purchasing a Casita 17 though marginally longer than a Casita 16 and taller inside. The Caista 17 is significantly nose heavier; it was too nose heavy for our Honda.

We have made a loop of the USA and a cross Labrador trip towing our trailers. We have never had a towing issue. We do not use a Weight Distribution hitch but have used a anti-sway bar, mostly for emergency situations, not for sway while towing.

Most of our traveling is in fifth gear, occasionally we have to down shift for hills, particularly long hills.

We do like the Honda's intelligent 4 wheel drive, on a few dirt roads and in a couple of streams it's kicked in and pulled us thru

We do get some of the highest mileage numbers towing this class of trailer, 23 mpg. I should also say we never drive over 60 mph, believing the ratings on trailer tires of 65 mph max.

We travel 7 months of the year and do a lot of sight seeing after parking here and there. One nice part to the CRV is we get 30mpg on highways and 28 just scotting around. Though not a true off roader, it's fine on dirt roads; we've driven the 1000 mile dirt Labrador highway and 100's of miles of dirt in AZ and NM. It has plenty of clearance and has been extremely reliable in 140,000 miles.

We have never driven a Rav 4 but I believe they are very similar to a Honda CRV.

One thing I've learned about the CRV is that with no load 57% of the CRV's weight is on the front wheels, even more so with two front passengers. The addition of the Scamp 16 and Casita 16 do not seem to affect the level travel of the CRV when towing.

Our CRV is a 2004.

Hope this helps,

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Name: soulman
Trailer: 1972 trillium 1300
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Like Rav-4, other types in the same class? I just want to see what else is out there that can still tow.

I'm also interested in knowing if anyone is using a Forester near its 2500 lb max?
hi bobbie my wife and i just got from towing a 1972 trillium 1300.we towed it with our 2001 suburu outback,4cyl.we were gitting 21 mpg.we went 700 miles.it towed very well no electric brake,we drove at 55mph.on cruise .we love the outback.happy hunting.bob and nancy.
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

Registry
I'm pretty sure I will get a Forester, but want to look at the other options anyway as I'm not thrilled with the looks of the new Forester model. And it added quite a bit of height so I need to make sure I can still take my Thule box on the ferry if I get one. (Without the overheight surcharge.) And check length, too, I guess!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I will get a Forester, but want to look at the other options anyway as I'm not thrilled with the looks of the new Forester model. And it added quite a bit of height so I need to make sure I can still take my Thule box on the ferry if I get one. (Without the overheight surcharge.) And check length, too, I guess!
I have an 03 Forester, though because my Burro is still getting a bunch of refurbishing work done I have yet to actually tow with it.

But, I have the same reaction to the new Foresters. They're ridiculously tall, and I've noticed the Outbacks are now inflated to the old Forester height. Puzzling.

I still fantasize about Subaru bringing their diesel Forester to north america. A girl can dream, right?
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I was looking hard 6 months ago and sought input on this forum. I replaced our 1997 Subaru Legacy wagon with a gently used 2008 Volvo V50 wagon. It had been the dealers courtesy car. It has a towing capacity of 2000 lbs. I have yet to tow with it as I have restoration work to complete on my compact junior. I will be intrigued to see how the front wheel drive tows compared to all wheel drive. I wanted to keep to a car rather than an SUV type vheicle. I am happy with the V50 as a daily driver.V50 is available in AWD
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post

I still fantasize about Subaru bringing their diesel Forester to north america. A girl can dream, right?
Yeah, me, too, but I don't think it will happen.

I checked the measurements and I think the Thule box/Forester combo will just about be 7 feet high; okay for Washington State Ferries, on the cusp for BC Ferries, but I don't need the box for trips up there. Length is okay with a 13 foot trailer, too (still under 30 total.)

I think I'll like it when I get used to it but I love the old design so I don't know why they had to change. Maybe I should look at the outback. I picked Forester initially for the headroom and legroom.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I've read comments here and there from Rav-4 owners who tow trailers in the 2500 lb. range and are happy. It has the same engine as my Highlander, and I've towed more than 70,000 miles with it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think to tow with a Rav4 you need the second generation Rav4, It looks bigger and more capable.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Registry
Rav4 has a V6 (available) which has the higher tow rating. But Rav4 has a side-opening rear door, which I think would get in the way, and I believe it no longer has a manual transmission option. It's rated 2000 without the towing package and 3500 with. Gas mileage drops from 28 to 26 highway (not towing). So I don't think I'm considering that one, though I would if I wanted to tow something quite a bit bigger (though really I think I'd go to a pickup in that case.)
Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #11

Florida
Side Opening Door.

The CRV has a side opening rear door as well and we have never considered it an issue. The only reason for us to open the door is to grab the chocks, easy to do connected.

Norm
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our new Corolla is larger than the original Corolla and came from dealer with brake modual for electric brakes, 7 pin harness has custom class 3 hitch tansaxle cooler and more but it is a 4 cyl engine. Love the mileage will not win any races. Do not pull at speeds over 55 mph and usually 80 kmh / 50 mph. We have not made long trips yet with this TV but hope to in July.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Electric bakes make a big difference as does the Load Equalizing Hitch. Even though 8% tongue works well with a car the boler requires WD to meet and exceed our needs. (Subaru is like a car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I hesitate to respond because we tow with our Honda CRV, 4 cylinder, manual transmission for four years. Many think the Honda is too small. We base our use on European standards for the same car. In Europe large trucks and other vehicles are simply not available in the same way as the USA. People just tow with lighter vehicles. In Europe the CRV is rated for 1500 pounds if your trailer doesn't have electric brakes and 3000 pounds with electric brakes. or

This year we towed a Casita 16 and have just purchased a Scamp 16 (because it's taller inside than a Casita by 5 inches). This winter we resisted purchasing a Casita 17 though marginally longer than a Casita 16 and taller inside. The Casita 17 is significantly nose heavier; it was too nose heavy for our Honda.

We have made a loop of the USA and a cross Labrador trip towing our trailers. We have never had a towing issue. We do not use a Weight Distribution hitch but have used a anti-sway bar, mostly for emergency situations, not for sway while towing.

Most of our traveling is in fifth gear, occasionally we have to down shift for hills, particularly long hills.

We do like the Honda's intelligent 4 wheel drive, on a few dirt roads and in a couple of streams it's kicked in and pulled us thru

We do get some of the highest mileage numbers towing this class of trailer, 23 mpg. I should also say we never drive over 60 mph, believing the ratings on trailer tires of 65 mph max.

We travel 7 months of the year and do a lot of sight seeing after parking here and there. One nice part to the CRV is we get 30 mpg on highways and 28 just scotting around. Though not a true off roader, it's fine on dirt roads; we've driven the 1000 mile dirt Labrador highway and 100's of miles of dirt in AZ and NM. It has plenty of clearance and has been extremely reliable in 140,000 miles.

We have never driven a Rav 4 but I believe they are very similar to a Honda CRV.

One thing I've learned about the CRV is that with no load 57% of the CRV's weight is on the front wheels, even more so with two front passengers. The addition of the Scamp 16 and Casita 16 do not seem to affect the level travel of the CRV when towing.

Our CRV is a 2004.

Hope this helps,

Norm
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #14

Ontario
Registry
'Without the overheight surcharge' what is the limit?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Side Opening Door.

The CRV has a side opening rear door as well and we have never considered it an issue. The only reason for us to open the door is to grab the chocks, easy to do connected.

Norm
It's an issue for me because I have dogs in crates in the rear and need to be able to take them out without unhooking the trailer. Otherwise I wouldn't care.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
'Without the overheight surcharge' what is the limit?
On Washington State Ferries it is 7 1/2 feet tall, 30 feet combined length. On BC ferries I think it is only 7 feet tall, although I think that might have changed to no overheight charge? (Probably means cost for my trailer went up.) Bikes standing on the roof go over it and I've seen people pull out of line and tie their bikes down flat to avoid the charges.

I think even with the taller Subaru and the Thule box I'm good in Washington. And the last few years they waived the charges on a few routes (like San Juan Islands and Keystone) but I don't see how they can afford to do that anymore.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:
It's an issue for me because I have dogs in crates in the rear and need to be able to take them out without unhooking the trailer. Otherwise I wouldn't care.
When we retired we instituted one rule: "No pets and more petting."

Love to all,

Norm
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #18

Ontario
Registry
They must get a lot of hight over charges. The 17' boler is 8'1" tall with out adding the max air vents.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
When we retired we instituted one rule: "No pets and more petting."
Not an option here, the main reason I camp is to go to Corgi Campouts and Agility trials!

Bobbie
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
They must get a lot of hight over charges. The 17' boler is 8'1" tall with out adding the max air vents.
Yup. One reason you see lowered Boler's in Canada is the 7 foot charge.
That has apparently been dropped on some routes.

Quote:
Effective April 1, 2010, the passenger overheight vehicle fares (over 7 feet high) will be eliminated and all passenger vehicles up to 20 feet in length will pay the same fare. All passenger vehicles over 20 feet in length will pay the same extra per foot charge. Please note, this fare change does not apply to the Northern Routes.