Anyone towing with a Tiguan? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
And seven inches of clearance is plenty for me, probably as much as my Scamp has.
LOL sounds like your trailer needs a new axle as my 21 year old Scamp has more than double that clearance at its lowest point.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #16

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Yeah, second page shows the three parts kits and their part numbers. There is a control module and a CAN Bus jumper plug for the wiring. And as the last page notes, you'll have to stop by the dealer to program it for North America. Otherwise the control module will give you separate left and right tail lamps and keep setting a fault for lights not working. The wiring should be in the bumper when you put the hitch piece on.

The ESP will try to correct for a skid and not take into account the trailer pushing the vehicle. But with the trailer control module the car knows the trailer is there and makes adjustments.

Jason

Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16, 2013 VW Tiguan SEL
Colorado
The hitch receiver was factory-installed, and I saw the plug tucked up behind the bumper cover. The dealer's tech told me that was NOT part of the trailer wiring! Looks like the hitch shop performed Steps 2-5 on your instructions. That leaves me to dig around to confirm presence of the control module. I don't know if many owners would go to that trouble, though. If a car bought with a hitch actually needs the control module, VW should say so, clearly, in the manual and at the service desk.

I appreciate these fast and informative responses-- that's far more satisfying than what I got when I asked a question of VW Vortex!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
VW isnt the only company to not address the need for the control module in their manuals ..... dont ask how I know that
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #19

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
The hitch receiver was factory-installed, and I saw the plug tucked up behind the bumper cover. The dealer's tech told me that was NOT part of the trailer wiring! Looks like the hitch shop performed Steps 2-5 on your instructions. That leaves me to dig around to confirm presence of the control module. I don't know if many owners would go to that trouble, though. If a car bought with a hitch actually needs the control module, VW should say so, clearly, in the manual and at the service desk.

I appreciate these fast and informative responses-- that's far more satisfying than what I got when I asked a question of VW Vortex!
Oh boy, try another dealer.

I haven't seen a factory installed hitch, only port installed. And that is basically the same as dealer installed. I doubt there is a control module in there, but can't hurt to look.

VW puts out the info, but a lot of dealers (especially the bad ones I was talking about) can't be bothered to look for it. I have no idea why they would say a 7 way plug, right at the hitch location, would not be for the trailer wiring. Oh and BTW the instructions I posted come from the VW web site for dealers.

I looked on the accessory catalog web site - the suggested installed price for the wiring kit is $558, the installed price for the receiver $185, the 7 way plug alone is $92.50. VW is a bit proud of their parts and accessories.

Jason
Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #20

Colorado
None of those numbers match what the dealer tried to sell me. So I suppose tomorrow I'll break out the Torx drivers for some auto-archaeology. But once again, in your learned opinion, how vital is the control module for safe (and occasional) tow duty?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
John looking at the VW Parts that were posted it sure looks like a control module in the wiring kit they sell.... without a module its a good bet not much in the way of trailer lights will work well if at all........
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #22

Colorado
The hitch shop reported that they didn't have to do as much work as anticipated "because it's already there." I made it clear that I wanted all the normal seven-pin functions.

I'll hook things up tomorrow, when it's warmer, and check the electrical functions first.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Well having a modular unit hidden in the back with the wiring harness is pretty standard so one would think that the hitch shop would have said something if there wasnt one there and be able to confirm it. If there wasnt one it a good bet your bill from the hitch shop would show you where charged for one.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
I've never been satisfied doing things the usual, proven way, so once again I've chosen an atypical tow car.
You and me both...lol

Have seen a few Tig's around here. They look good. Test drove a Jetta Carrat years ago. Very solid German built feel. Also drove an 89 Mercedes 190 E 2.3-16 (Cosworth) and owned a 75 450SEL. All great road manners with vg TV potential.

It is similar to the BMW X1 and X3. The X3 on other forums is a highly rated as a TV. Some towing substantial full height trailers.

Good luck with the Tig. Keep us posted.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #25

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Love the Tiguan and was going to buy one, but they discontinued the color I wanted and would have to wait till anywhere from June to August to have one Factory build. Ended up ordering a 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD 2.0L turbo in Ingot Silver yesterday which should be built and in my hands in 6 weeks. With the tow package will tow 3500#. Which is a lot more then my 1971 Boler 13' needs but it opens the possibilities.

Good luck with your Tiguan, hope to see you on the road one day in our travels.

Rick
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
MC1

Ontario
I am amazed at the fuel economy of the BMW X1 SAV. It is about the same size as a VW Tiguan, which also has a turbo 4, but the Tiguan only gets 26 highway while the X1 gets 34. Possibly the direct injection, aerodynamics and the 8 speed tranny.

A 6 speed Jetta Turbo 4 turns 2,400 rpm @60
while a Tundra 5.7L 6 speed loafs along at only 1,500 rpm.
The X1, turned 1,400 rpm @ 60 mph. I have never heard of such low rpm cruising from a 4 cylinder motor. I suppose it is possible because of the 258 lb-ft or torque at only 1,250 rpm. Anyhow this is probably the biggest reason for the dramatic increase in fuel economy.

Guessing the X1 Bimmer is more money than the Tig??
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Guessing the X1 Bimmer is more money than the Tig??
Yup looked at it as a possibility as well and it most definitely is.

Rick I have not owned an American made vehicle in years but the Ford Escape has made my possibly list - due to its tow cap and affordability, still need to test drive one though. Hope you come back and give us some feed back on your towing experience with it.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
MC1

Ontario
You are right Carol. I just checked price difference in Canada.

Tig's start at 25K

X1's aound 40K