Anyone towing with VW Atlas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: Consuelo
Trailer: Researching
Tennessee
Anyone towing with VW Atlas?

Is anyone towing with a recent model VW Atlas? If so, which trim and does it have 4Motion or just regular FWD? What are you pulling with it and how does it perform?

TIA!
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
Is anyone towing with a recent model VW Atlas? If so, which trim and does it have 4Motion or just regular FWD? What are you pulling with it and how does it perform?

TIA!
I would only use a FWD bassed crossover like that for towing the lightest of trailers.... they claim 5000 lb tow capability, but with a 1200 lb payload, the 700 lb typical hitch weight of a 5000 lb trailer would only leave you 500 lb for people and gear in the truck.

and a VW 8-speed automatic doesn't instill me with much confidence in its durability when used as a tug.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks John... I stumbled across some info about the Atlas today and was surprised VW offers what they promote as a decent tow-vehicle. They have "4Motion" AWD Atlas trim levels but they are out of my price range. If I was willing to spend $44K or more on a tug, I would get something other than a VW.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Its specs are pretty much standard for the crowded 3-row crossover class: naturally aspirated 3.5-3.6L V6 putting out around 275-300hp, 6-8 speed conventional automatic. Pretty much every manufacturer makes one. VW has now joined the party* and Subaru's Ascent is coming next. The performance standout in the class is arguably the Ford Explorer Sport with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine (unless you count the Durango R/T V8).
*They've had the Touareg, of course, but it's more of an entry-premium SUV with a different market. The Atlas is their first attempt to go head-to-head with Explorer, Highlander, Pilot, Traverse, and the like.

I expect the Atlas to tow about as well as most of the others. I'm not quite as pessimistic as John- I believe they make suitable tow vehicles for mid-sized as well as small molded trailers, up to around 4000 pounds or so. But he's right- you have to consider payload. You can't expect to pack their roomy interiors full of people and cargo and still tow a 5000 pound trailer.

VW's in general have their strengths and weakness. Last one I owned was a 1966 Beetle, so I have nothing to say about this one. I haven't read any towing reports on FGRV yet, but there may be an early adopter lurking out there somewhere. If you're serious, you might also see if there is an owner's group, which likely has a section for towing.

Who wants to be first on FGRV?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I was a big VW fan in the 70s, 80s, most of my cars were VWAG, the last one being a 1989 Jetta GLi, which I put a quarter million miles on in 8 years. Came time to look for a new car in the late 90s, and I didn't like the direction they were going at all, I think they've totally lost their way. Awesome styling, I thought the Golf and Jetta III and IV's were great looking, but they lost the light inexpensive sportiness of their older cars. my 89 jetta had hand crank windows and sunroof, short ratio 5-speed stick that you could shift faster than you could blink, strong simple durable efficient motor, great use of compact space, really comfortable (for the skinny person I was back then) real Recaro seats. newer models got saddled with dodgy electronics, too many gadgetty features, they got softened and padded and weighed down.

after VW, I ended up owning several Volvos, and more recently a couple early 90s Mercedes E class. and my Tacoma 4x4 tug and astrohauler (which replaced my 1992 Volvo 740 wagon).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #6

Tennessee
I've been building a spreadsheet, comparing various 2018 models *under $40K MSRP* that are AWD and have a TWR of at least 5000 lbs. So far, the Nissan Pathfinder S 4x4 (6000 lbs) and the Toyota Highlander LE 3.5L (5000 lbs) are the standouts based on TWR, payload, etc. I haven't test driven any of them yet - it will be interesting to see if there are any I really like or really dislike.

Others are the Honda Pilot (LX), Kia Sorento (LX V6 and EX V6), and Hyundai Santa Fe (SE 3.3L) - all of these have a TWR of 5000 lbs.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Of course the Atlas would pull any reasonable sized fiberglass RV in safety and in comfort.
My concerns are VW's history of obstinate service departments and the high price of parts compared to its competition.
You should at least drive the Explorer, (not on your spreadsheet) just so you'll know what you missed.

One point...
When you are shopping around TN take note as to how many dealers for your prospective make are within a reasonable distance of your house. Check incentives and compare prices on the final negotiated price... not the list price. Also consider how long you typically keep a new car.

On the basis of using a spreadsheet alone, I have a prediction, let us know what you buy!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I drove a 2008 Highlander 4WD (AWD, really, but they called it 4WD) for 185K miles, and 140K of those were put on while towing trailers. It was very reliable, and very capable with 16'-17' trailers in the 2500-3500 lb range.

They bumped the Pathfinder up to 6000 lbs tow rating? When I looked at them about 4 years ago, it was 5000. I wonder what (if anything) they have changed.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
The Pathfinder, alone in this class of vehicles, uses a CVT transmission. Nissan was an early adopter of the technology and has lots of experience (not all good, by some accounts). A 6000 pound tow rating with a CVT shows a lot of confidence they've now mastered it. Time will tell.

This has already been mentioned in another thread, but it's worth repeating here. One consideration to include in your spreadsheet is ease/cost of towing set-up. When I bought my last tow vehicle, the Highlander and Pilot were on my short list. The Pilot came ready to tow with a transmission cooler, integrated 7-pin trailer wiring, and receiver hitch- every model, every trim. The Highlander, zip. You first had to locate a unit with a V6 and the tow prep package (often a premium trim level), then the hitch and all the wiring had to be added aftermarket. That's a hidden extra cost for some models.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Someone here may tow with an Audi Q7.

The Audi Q7 is built on the same platform as the VW Atlas. When researching, there was mention that the Q7 might be priced less, but that is not usually the case. They did note that VW just increased the price of the 2018 Atlas. The Atlas is made in Chattanooga, near you. A search will uncover many comparisons.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I would only use a FWD bassed crossover like that for towing the lightest of trailers.... they claim 5000 lb tow capability, but with a 1200 lb payload, the 700 lb typical hitch weight of a 5000 lb trailer would only leave you 500 lb for people and gear in the truck.

and a VW 8-speed automatic doesn't instill me with much confidence in its durability when used as a tug.
People have been towing trailers much heavier than light weight fiberglass models with Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, and VW Touareg vehicles since they were introduced a decade ago. My Touareg TDI has a maximum tow capacity of 7700 lb with a maximum of 616 lb tongue loading. BMW X5, MB ML350 are similar capacities. Touareg is "4 motion" full time AWD and only distributes the % of torque front to back via a central torque sensing differential but all 4 wheels are always driven.
David and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #12

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New Hampshire
VW Atlas TV

Just a few comments about VW products. I tow a 2017 Escape 19 with an Audi Q5 TDI with 4400 lb capacity and the 8 speed. It tows great but is pretty much maxed out chassis wise, GVWR, tongue weight, etc. I get 35 mpg without a trailer and 22 mpg with the Escape in tow. It has the same 8 speed trans as the 7700 lb tow triplets - Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 - and is now in the Atlas. This transmission is smooth and capable and is a sealed and service free unit up to some significant mileage, I think 100k or maybe higher. I also had a 2007 Passat with the 3.6 liter 280hp V6 offered in most of the above models including the Atlas. This is probably the best performing and efficient V6 (or 4 cyl) engine i’ve had among Infinity, Nissan, Ford and others. Not a bulletproof small block Chevy V8 like the one in my old 68 Camaro, but still pretty torquey and very smooth. I’ve also had good and reasonably affordable service from my local VW dealer. Audi dealer service is fantastic with “free Audi loaner” car wash, etc. but comes at a hefty price. Now that the warranty has expired I have a local mechanic who charges $80/hr instead of $100 at VW or $130 at Audi dealers. Also note that 2018 VW’s come with a 6 year 72k mile warranty as they try to woo back customers lost to the “diesel-gate” scandal. I’m not saying the Atlas is the best TV choice out there, but if you try it and like it as a daily driver for whatever reasons, I wouldn’t discount it as a tow vehicle.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Just a few comments about VW products. I tow a 2017 Escape 19 with an Audi Q5 TDI with 4400 lb capacity and the 8 speed. It tows great but is pretty much maxed out chassis wise, GVWR, tongue weight, etc. I get 35 mpg without a trailer and 22 mpg with the Escape in tow. It has the same 8 speed trans as the 7700 lb tow triplets - Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 - and is now in the Atlas. This transmission is smooth and capable and is a sealed and service free unit up to some significant mileage, I think 100k or maybe higher. I also had a 2007 Passat with the 3.6 liter 280hp V6 offered in most of the above models including the Atlas. This is probably the best performing and efficient V6 (or 4 cyl) engine i’ve had among Infinity, Nissan, Ford and others. Not a bulletproof small block Chevy V8 like the one in my old 68 Camaro, but still pretty torquey and very smooth. I’ve also had good and reasonably affordable service from my local VW dealer. Audi dealer service is fantastic with “free Audi loaner” car wash, etc. but comes at a hefty price. Now that the warranty has expired I have a local mechanic who charges $80/hr instead of $100 at VW or $130 at Audi dealers. Also note that 2018 VW’s come with a 6 year 72k mile warranty as they try to woo back customers lost to the “diesel-gate” scandal. I’m not saying the Atlas is the best TV choice out there, but if you try it and like it as a daily driver for whatever reasons, I wouldn’t discount it as a tow vehicle.
I've had a bunch of SBCs and I thought about finding out if they were bulletproof on many occasions... Thanks for the info!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Methinks he didn't try the armor piercing rounds....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #15

Tennessee
I appreciate everyone's input! Good points made and noted.

Yes, the Nissan has gone up to 6000 lbs, which is more than I will need but gives a nice margin. Regardless of TWR, I want at least 20% buffer between rating and actual weight of loaded camper.

With some of these vehicles, the factory-installed tow package includes the wiring harness... yes, it is certainly a factor to consider.

I prefer to buy used and save some $$$, but it may be difficult to find a gently-used vehicle with the factory tow package as opposed to an after-market set-up that doesn't include extra cooling, etc.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
...I prefer to buy used and save some $$$, but it may be difficult to find a gently-used vehicle with the factory tow package as opposed to an after-market set-up that doesn't include extra cooling, etc.
That's exactly how I ended up with a Pilot. Because every unit was equipped to tow the full rating from the factory, it was easy to find a gently used unit that was equipped for towing but had never been used to tow.

Current (2016+) Pilot AWD's only require the addition of a hitch and transmission cooler (dealer-installed accessories, not factory) to reach the full 5000# rating. All you need to find is a used Pilot AWD without the cooler or hitch and add them. Wiring, including a brake controller port, is plug-and-play.

There may be others like that; I just happen to know about Pilots.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bruce I had a 2009 vw jetta tdi like the car but that sealed transmission I just didn't like so I got bought out and bought a 2013 ford edge and it has the sealed transmission. since it was used I had the transmission fluid changed by my mechanic we got most of it out and it passed the smell test but since the car was used I like to have a baseline on fluid changes.

our edge has the 2.0eco deal it has lots of power I am constantly worried towing our 13f it has a 1500lb limit I am sure it could handle 2k easily. I am careful watching for hills and paddle shifting out of o/d to keep the transmission running cool. so far so good but I don't like sealed transmissison I know ford swears by them I just don't like them.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I am told that the Touareg, Q7, & Cayenne all share a platform, but not with the Atlas. I know VW likes to build many models on the same platform (5 on the Beetle platform) but it appears I was mistaken when I saw the Atlas-Q7 comparisons.

I think I'll share a message from Brian B-P, who appears knowledgeable:
"The Touareg is built on the same platform as the Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne, and the current versions of the Q7 and Cayenne are now built on the VW Group's current longitudinal-engine platform (MLB, shared with most Audi models including the Q5 and the Porsche Macan). The Touareg is no longer sold in North America, as VW has decided that the Atlas better suits the market and brand; if you want a new Touareg, you buy it with an Audi or Porsche badge... and price tag.

The Atlas is the largest vehicle built on the VW Group's current transverse-engine platform MQB, which is shared with most new VW models (including the Tiguan) and the smaller Audis (including the Q3). The Touareg, Q7, and Cayenne have never been transverse-engined."

Thank you, Brian

If you bought the wrong vehicle based on my statement, I will consider refunds. Not really.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote