anyone using a Reese 66069 on their scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #29

Name: Blaine
Trailer: 16ft scamp camper
Mississippi
Registry
One more old thing I pull behind my pinto to car meets , 1979 commutacar how many of you remember this
Attached Thumbnails
Image022.jpg  

Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
So, does the hitch receiver protect the Pinto gas tank?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #31
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto-One View Post
thanks MC1 on the photos hitch set up, I hope I do not have to do that much over kill, have a set but the bars are too big, had them on a older larger camper I pulled with my truck,
For sure your 16' Scamp is a lightweight by comparison. We have the right size/rating bars for our 23'TT.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #32

Mississippi
Registry
pinto hitch

yes it does, its a class two but look like a class 3, as for the gas tank was not the problem , it was the filler tube that went into the tank, when you smashed into the back of the car the fenders would flare out pulling the tube out, if you had more than a 1/4 tank of gas you had fuel on the ground, fix was a longer tube in the recall , I know because back in the 70s I worked at a ford dealer putting these on, if it had the small rear end it also got sheld in the front of the tank because of sharp edges of the rear end cover , if you had the v-6 8" rear it did not, here are a few photos of the hitch, its held on by 3 on each side 3/8 bolts, tied in to the rear spring brackets and bumper shock brackets , not going anywhere , the bumper is a double wall design and weighs about 75 lbs,
Old 03-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #33

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I'm sure that there is a truck-stop, recycling center, gravel seller or a scrap yard nearby that you can weigh in at. Better to know now than later.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #34

Mississippi
Registry
kind of none around near here, there is a scrap yard here and been to it but do not want to take a chance of cutting up the tires , but will wait until the guys show up with the aircraft scales at my hanger , a case of beer should cover it, besides I have been pulling the scamp around over 7 years, but would like to now anyway if it does need a diet , along with me, can not be too much , will post when I find out , later Blaine
Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
When they say it is for an A-frame trailer, I take it that this can be used for any trailer with an A-frame (like our FGRV's), and not a single pole trailer (like a boat trailer). To me, it doesn't matter what is on the frame, just the shape of the frame itself.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #36

California
Ya But... I have never seen a pop-up tent trailer (a mentioned use) heavy enough to need a wd hitch that didn't have that style frame, and the example shown is either a Chalet or an A-liner. That would make the term "tent and A frame trailers" redundant.

But it's a moot point because they discontinued the item anyway.

But that begs the question of putting a wd hitch on a unibody Pinto anyway.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #37

Mississippi
Registry
guess that would be the same as putting a WD hitch on a unibody Subaru , unibody Honda eliment , a unibody ford Escape , a unibody Volvo, unbody Toyota , VW , etc , and I do have a rare class two hitch (looks like a class three) but in the interest of more safety I am installing the hitch just wanted to know if anyone have used one, so what if it has been Discontinued , should be ok , my car has been Discontinued over 34 years , end of thread , new info how it works , new 16 food scamper weight using certified scales and getting the reese 66069 hitch to work, every one have a great week,
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #38

California
Without even wanting to compare the engineering quality in the vehicles listed to that of a 35+ y.o Pinto, I will comment that a number of those mentioned do state in the owners manuals: "Do Not use weight distributing hitches on this vehicle" And hitch mfgs. such as Reese, also include the same warnings with many Class-III hitches for uni-body vehicles (Such as the Honda CRV)

And in searching the available hitch information, I can't find a single mention of using a WD hitch with a Class-II hitch, even if it has a 2" receiver.

In Europe you can't just put any hitch you want on a vehicle and start towing anything you want. Maybe it's time that the NHTSA starts thinking in the same direction. Sorta like on airplanes, where you generally can't change as much as a rivet without FAA permission.

I'm Out.....
Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #39

Mississippi
Registry
Last one, it has a 2" receiver and I too looked for info on this old hitch, made by valley stamped on it , found it in a auto junk yard on a pinto station wagon in the early 80s, and well used it over the years , now even starting to find less listed in the parts book as cars get older, only info on the new cars so I am on my own on this one, thanks everyone for there 2 cents and more on info, now back to work on airplanes , no I do not need permission to change a rivet , but I do have to send tham a form saying how many I did and make three copys and mail them one , and when the paper work weighs as much as the aircraft it is then airworthy , im done ,
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #40
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto-One View Post
Last one, it has a 2" receiver and I too looked for info on this old hitch, made by valley stamped on it
What the pro's typically do is reinforce the factory receivers so they are stronger and do not flex when the WDH is installed.

This link shows a custom made, pro set up. They spread the receiver platform across a large area. Works great on full frame or uni-bodies.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1389441162

I made similar mods on our Mini Van as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
quest 24-2484_IMG.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #41

Mississippi
Registry
hitch

middle of hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Ph.jpg   P1.jpg  

Ph4.jpg   Pinto hitch.jpg  

Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #42

Mississippi
Registry
MC1 I do remember installing some like these back in the 70s but most were on the hitch end were attached at the very end and a smaller square tube went forward two or more feet to a cross bar that hook to the front of the chases , mine hooks to just on each side with three 3/8 bolts each side, that side part is almost 12" long , has a extra hole there on both sides, planning on drilling out them out in put in the bolts because it will be pulling down the front of it with the WD hitch , not pushing it up like before , pictures are good , over kill is better

Tags
scamp