anyone using a Reese 66069 on their scamp - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #57
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Sounds good Tom. How do you find the Sienna as a TV for your BF?

Also, how much are the 66069's going for down in Texas?

Thnxs.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #58

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Sienna has performed all that I expected it to do. We've towed from Texas to all the neighboring states plus western Colorado, Ohio, and Florida. Mileage drops to 11-12 mpg at 60 mph. Usually get 19-20 mpg in the city and 24-25 mpg at 70 mph when not towing. Our Bigfoot is much lighter than later models. Empty of all gear it weighs 2290 lbs. and loaded to camp has a tongue weight of 340 lbs. Of course, it's still an eight foot by eight foot box shaped trailer. I bought the Reese WDH 4 years ago from etrailer.com and do not remember the cost.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/tom...tml?sort=3&o=0

Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #59

Name: Blaine
Trailer: 16ft scamp camper
Mississippi
Registry
Great , glad that I am not the only one here that has that hitch, just got it in this weekend , looks good but I do have to move the propane Bottles around , thanks carol for the weight of your 16ft , yep I am really interested in seeing what mine weighs , its a side dinnet with the front shower , but does have a/c and awning , in the pas I have tried the public scales but some are off a few hundred lbs, none around here except the scrap yard , been there and you have a chance of cutting up your tires at this one, not going anywhere for a few months so will move it to airport and wait for the aircraft scales to show up and take my time , can level it and weigh all at one time ,starting empty and work my way up, empty propane bottles then full , empty water tank then full , then the stuff I often take with me, and then if this thing does weigh to much might swap it for a 13ft scamp, still been lugging it around for the last 7 years thinking it is less than 2000 lbs, I think when they make a camper each one should be weighed and stamped when finished , not a guesstament , thanks tom , last thing I like to ask does it make a night and day difference , have you towed it with out the hitch or always had it, thanks again everyone,
Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #60
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Sienna has performed all that I expected it to do.
Lake Bardwell, TX Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Thnxs for the update Tom. You have it set up really nice. There are many over at the Airstream forum using Sienna's and they get good reviews. All of them are using the 2 bar WDH's but their hitch weights would be a bit more than yours.
Thinking that if we ever get back into towing with a mini van the Sienna would be our 1st choice. They are one of the few companies that actually test their vehicles towing trailers in colder climates. Nice!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #61

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I've not towed without WDH. The owners manual for the Toyota says maximum tongue without WDH is 350 lbs. If I had a larger tow vehicle, I might try.

Tags
scamp