Are Electric Brakes Needed for Scamp 13? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 5.0
Maryland
Registry
I towed a Scamp 13 with a RAV4, with gear stowed in the tug. I never felt unsafe and never had a problem stopping or swaying, even when my navigator screeched at me about something. Plenty of hills and wet pavement. No snow. Can't speak to brake wear as the tug was a 2009 and trailer 2014. Brakes changed in 2016. Full disclosure: I don't tailgate and I don't drive fast.

Of course the size of the tow vehicle is key and I will say that any bigger trailer or smaller tug and I would have brakes.

Love our present combination of built-in brake controller on the Canyon and Escape 5.0 brakes.

John
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There are always those who will tell you that brakes are not needed and they are correct except for that ONE time you need them.

Be SAFE not SORRY.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #23

Name: Cathi
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Nova Scotia
brakes are great to have

i would say, just get them. i tow a 13' Scamp and love the brakes...they give you great control and the whole situation feels safer and more stable, no matter what the weather. happy travels!
Tillie and Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #24

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
brakes for scamp 13

hi,
i pulled our scamp 13 for 2 years without brakes. it was ok, but i discovered things were a little dicey on frosty roads and quick stops. so i put them on and find it much better. it is not like night vs. day but definitely a more comfortable feeling.
i'd say it's worth it.
jon of sequim
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #25

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Get the brakes!

The electric brakes, in my opinion, are a must have. You never know when they are really, really helpful....like finding yourself on a narrow, very steep, windy, long downhill where gearing down isn't enough, then adding a wet pavement...you get the picture. If you're ordering a Scamp, have them installed...not worth being cheap with a DYI. You have an investment in your safety AND your trailer. Get the brakes.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #26

Name: Oski
Trailer: In the market
California
Hi Scampers and Others,
I really appreciate people taking the time to chime in on this. After reading all the opinions, I think we'll err on the side of caution and get the brakes. I am impressed how much thought people put into their responses and am grateful to all who gave advice. Thanks again and see you on the road!
Oski
Oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #27

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblacksmoker View Post
It's better than being the first kid who ends up under the pile. Just say it! A thirteen footer doesn't need brakes! Then get ready to be sued. My uhaul CT stops on a dime with my jetta. I was going to do brakes, but there's absolutely no need.

Beyond the safety issue, there is an economic one as well. Compare the price of a Jetta brake job and a 13 foot Scamp brake job. No brakes; that Jetta is going to be in the shop a lot sooner.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #28

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Brakes are not required on a Scamp13 except in +- 4 or 5 states.

That being said, get them, you'll like them...
If for no other reason than for resale or for the possibility that you will use a different TV at some point. You'll have a better experience towing with trailer brakes with your Tacoma as well.
When I tow with my Ranger 4.0L,(bigger brakes) the trailer brakes are hardly needed, but I like them. In fact, I plan to increase from 7" brakes to 10" brakes on my 13 should I ever decide to change the axle.

Like good tires, or a friction sway device, or LED taillights, trailer brakes are an improvement whether required or not.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...l648/dl648pt12
: anything weighing over 1600#'s requires brakes.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: anything weighing over 1600#'s requires brakes.
Stude
My Grampaw once had a bull which weighed over 2000#... no brakes... but I assume you meant travel trailers in California?

Now its 1000# in New York, 3000# in IllAnnoy, 1500# in some other states. With a range from "stopping distance to 6000#, which one is right?

Notice I recommended brakes for this application,"required or not".
BTW plenty of Scamp13s are under 1500#.

Surely your not saying that I should not have ordered brakes for my Scamp13 because they are not required?
Installing them because of good judgement kinda obviates any requirement it exceeds... now don't it?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I left out your quote re recommending buying the brakes for improved performance, as you had already said it and as you can see in my first post I agreed with you ;-)

I simple added the legal requirement for brakes re weight of trailer being 50% of the vehicle, due to the fact that the OP may not be aware of the actual laws in regards to brakes. Would be a shame if they were to find out about it after the fact should they have an accident and the lack of brakes on the trailer is found to have been a contributing factor.
Where in the world did you find that number. I've looked a lot of towing laws and the 50% thing didn't show up. Now I haven't looked all laws but that sounds bogus to me.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #31

Name: Ryan
Trailer: shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Beyond the safety issue, there is an economic one as well. Compare the price of a Jetta brake job and a 13 foot Scamp brake job. No brakes; that Jetta is going to be in the shop a lot sooner.
Not really a legitimate factor. I don't pull more than ten thousand miles a year. I do my own brakes. Jetta is much cheaper than trailer. I'm not against trailer brakes, but having them is more cost and maintenance than not. My reaction control on my car is amazing. In the slick conditions described, the trailer would lose control from not having the intelligent system my car has. It would certainly be more likely to pass me in slick conditions because a controller could in no way compensate. Fact is, I like trailer brakes. They're an upgrade just like all the other options Scamp offers. That's business. The business is to make money. IF IT CAME TO A MATTER OF SAFETY AND RESPONSIBILITY, A COMPANY LIKE SCAMP WOULD NEVER CONSIDER NOT INCLUDING $100 WORTH OF PARTS, rather than making it an upgrade. Anyone who believes otherwise certainly would not purchase a trailer from such a disreputable operation. When you order the brakes, do yourself the favor of educating yourself on the operation, or they can be very dangerous. You must know the ideal settings for warm and dry conditions, as well as cool, damp, or slick conditions. For example, a couple weeks back I drove beartooth highway. When I left Yellowstone, the temperature was 65 Fahrenheit. Add I drove the pass, the temperature degraded to thirty-three degrees with ice. That simple drive would have necessitated several different controller settings. My warm-weather setting could have killed me if not changed during the drive. The canned answers here concern me. We certainly need to express that having brakes means an aspect of education and complication the driver must be educated on. Those brakes could kill you, they could cause tire blowouts, and they certainly will be more expensive to maintain. (A service on trailer brakes is replacing the entire plate assembly). Again, my conclusion, if the price is the same, (of if I'm bored though to install a kit and have a factory controller so I don't hack my TV interior), I choose brakes. Are they safer? No, they're different. Just like other differences Scamp offers. If they were a safety concern, Scamp couldn't afford to make them optional. Just as a dealer would suggest a bathroom, a/c, nice cabinets, etc., there's a reason for the recommendation, and it isn't safety.
oldblacksmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Funny is it not that we have no Scamp 13's that appear on either the original list in Trailer Weights in the Real world or the updated current spread sheet that weigh under 1500lbs.

Original Trailer Weights in the Real World list - weights Listed are Axle, Tongue & total:
15___13_____Scamp___________________1420_____200__ __1620
18___13_____Scamp______Standard_____1480_____240__ __1720
23___13_____Scamp______Standard_____1720_____230__ __1950

From current updated spread sheet:

13' Scamp Delux Oak 1460 230 1690
13' Scamp Deluxe Oak 1460 230 1690
13' Scamp Standard 1480 240 1720
13' Scamp Standard 1720 230 1950
13' Scamp With Bathroom 1740 220 1960
13' Scamp 1420 200 1620
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #33

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I think we've beaten this thread to death.

Walt
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #34

Name: Ryan
Trailer: shopping
Florida
It's good to have all the information. I've seen lots of wrecks because of not understanding the the mechanical systems and behaviors of a trailer. Everyone has to have a learning curve, but I'm afraid of the person who has confidence that they're safer because the trailer has brakes.
oldblacksmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Where in the world did you find that number. I've looked a lot of towing laws and the 50% thing didn't show up. Now I haven't looked all laws but that sounds bogus to me.
LOL nothing bogus about it Byron.

Sometimes you just have to read the fine print

Take a look at the RVDA of Canada site. It lists a number of examples of the law in Canada - BC, Alberta, Saskatoon, North West Territories.

The AAA Digest of Motor Laws gives a few examples of the law in the US (where many are actually only 40%) - Alabama , Florida , Maryland , Montana , New Jersey, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington,
Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #36

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oski View Post
Hi Scampers and Others,
I really appreciate people taking the time to chime in on this. After reading all the opinions, I think we'll err on the side of caution and get the brakes. I am impressed how much thought people put into their responses and am grateful to all who gave advice. Thanks again and see you on the road!
Oski
Thank you......from the rest of us on the road
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL nothing bogus about it Byron.

Sometimes you just have to read the fine print

Take a look at the RVDA of Canada site. It lists a number of examples of the law in Canada - BC, Alberta, Saskatoon, North West Territories.

The AAA Digest of Motor Laws gives a few examples of the law in the US (where many are actually only 40%) - Alabama , Florida , Maryland , Montana , New Jersey, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington,
That's it. But it's 40% not 50%. I just read the same web site for the second time today. Only 7 states and the District of Columbia make that statement. That a pretty small percentage of the states.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #38

Registry
In the case of trailer brakes I don't care if the law requires or not, I don't want to do without them. At least twice my trailer brakes saved my trailer.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #39

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
We tow a Toad behind our MH and the law states in almost

Quote:
My Grampaw once had a bull which weighed over 2000#... no brakes... but I assume you meant travel trailers in California?

Now its 1000# in New York, 3000# in IllAnnoy, 1500# in some other states. With a range from "stopping distance to 6000#, which one is right?

Notice I recommended brakes for this application,"required or not".

Surely your not saying that I should not have ordered brakes for my Scamp13 because they are not required?
Installing them because of good judgement kinda obviates any requirement it exceeds... now don't it?
: all of the US states that if over 1600#'s then you have to have brakes our unit weighs 2400#'s so we have brakes in the Tow'd. I really do not need a ticket as we have been pulled over and lucky for us we had a brake set up for the Toad, there is a site on line saying which states in the USA you need to have brakes in and also for Canada to which Provinces you need to have brakes.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That's it. But it's 40% not 50%. I just read the same web site for the second time today. Only 7 states and the District of Columbia make that statement. That a pretty small percentage of the states.
Yes in the US states it 40% of the GVW but were I live its 50%.

Yes its a small percentage of States that have the law but its clearly not a bogus law as you suggested

Tags
brakes, scamp