auto vs manual transmission - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #57

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Sad fact is many auto/truck manufacturers continue to make and sell poor designs for years after problems surface. If research shows many failures logic indicates you should avoid the product(s). That is when historic records like those published by Consumer Reports are a great help prior to spending your hard earned money. Why buy a known problem.

Fact is many manufacturers figure that if the problem happens after the warranty period has passed it will cost them nothing...you get to pay.
If the problem failures occur in warranty they factor the replacement cost into the original cost price of the vehicle. All auto/truck makers have formulas for this "cost of warranty service" included in the selling price....bet you didn't know that! This is often much cheaper than re-engineering the parts or a re-design which is followed by changes in the assembly line and often recertification if the assembly is part of the drive train. In the end the consumer pays for the so called warranty repair in the original cost of the product. General Motors and Chrysler are very good at this "cost-pass-through" system....both makers are famous for transmissions that continued in production long after defects were known...many for 10 years or longer. This transmission failure problem got so bad years ago that they had to send most of the repair work out to transmission shops with national franchises because they were over loaded with warranty service.

One more point on automatic transmissions....the current design of automatics have better gas mileage than standards....they have become that good!
I see no benefit in a standard transmission in today's production vehicles as long as the maker is committed to quality.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #58

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
You would hope that moving forward that the problem is solved by what sounds like a simple solution.
SOLVED.... ownership went from Mercedes to Fiat!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #59

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
CVT convert

With almost 5,000 miles of towing our '78 1300 Trillium with a 2013 Subaru Outback with continuously variable transmission-CVT- (4 cyl), I am slowly becoming a convert. I consider it to be superior for towing compared to the 2006 Subaru we first towed with (4 cyl, automatic). This transmission finds the right "rpm's" all the time. Hard to do with a standard or regular automatic - regardless of number of "speeds". Stay posted for updates as we continue to put this Outback CVT to the test towing our Trillium.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #60

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Our TV is automatic with a trans-axle cooler works well; then our trailer is an original super ultra lite boler.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #61

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
auto vs manual transmission

We had very few automatics in the farm, and we've had six automatics fry. Out of probably fifteen manual transmission vehicles, only one needed a clutch before the engine.

That was an '88 ranger that had two clutches, a slave cylinder, 3 engines, 3 axle beams, a manual tranny, and 2 sets of springs before 180k miles, all while taking less abuse than my '89 nissan which had 200k flawless miles on it.

I'll take a manual over an automatic any day of the week. I prefer the control, instead of having a transmission shifting up or down whenever it wants on ice or slick surfaces.

My pickup is an auto because I didn't have a choice. I'm already on tranny #2. I picked the subaru solely because it had a manual. I absolutely hated the cvt tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #62

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
After many manual transmissions, I gotta say I love the 8 speed auto on my 2014 Ram Hemi. It has the paddle shifters and having eight forward speeds to choose from is really sweet!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #63

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
We had very few automatics in the farm, and we've had six automatics fry. Out of probably fifteen manual transmission vehicles, only one needed a clutch before the engine.

That was an '88 ranger that had two clutches, a slave cylinder, 3 engines, 3 axle beams, a manual tranny, and 2 sets of springs before 180k miles, all while taking less abuse than my '89 nissan which had 200k flawless miles on it.

I'll take a manual over an automatic any day of the week. I prefer the control, instead of having a transmission shifting up or down whenever it wants on ice or slick surfaces.

My pickup is an auto because I didn't have a choice. I'm already on tranny #2. I picked the subaru solely because it had a manual. I absolutely hated the cvt tranny.

Remember when Nissan was Datsun? I bought mine new and it literally broke more in six months than all the cars I have owned since! They were so ashamed they changed their name!
I have had a dozen Rangers in fleet, four of my own, and four in the family. I would gladly compare the worst of the lot with the best of the rest.
My present Ranger is only 14 years old and in excellent shape. Its predecessor left the state in good shape with more than two hundred thousand miles and no oil consumption.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #64

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I had a Datsun pickup. No problems. Two of them actually.
Got a ride in a buddy's brand new Ranger and the fake leather, plastic coating on the 1/8" thick cardboard door panels was already peeling.
But, that was many years ago. All manufacturers are making better products.
You don't want to go back to "the good old days".
Old 12-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #65

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I had a Datsun pickup. No problems. Two of them actually.
Got a ride in a buddy's brand new Ranger and the fake leather, plastic coating on the 1/8" thick cardboard door panels was already peeling.
But, that was many years ago. All manufacturers are making better products.
You don't want to go back to "the good old days".
If anybody made something which would match my 14 year old Ranger, even as it is today I might be in the market... until then I'll stay in "the good old days" or even regress further.
Even my 92 had articulated bucket seats with adjustable lumbar and thigh support, sun roof, console etc. It was practically a sports car with a big trunk!
WATCH THIS!!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #66

IllAnnoy
Registry
Of course the new ones ain't bad neither!

Old 12-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #67

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My wife still longs for the seats in the 1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer that I owned before the RAV4.
Gave it to my daughter and two weeks later it blew a head gasket ( notorious for that ), which is why they are called Exploders.
I used to think it was a big deal what brand car I owned, but I got older and wiser. Kinda wish I still cared, like when I was fourteen and really wanted a Fiat Spyder.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #68

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Interesting discussion here folks. I learned to drive a stick shift in a 2.5 ton truck (aka Deuce and a Half) as a teen ager in Vietnam. I loved it! In fact upon my return to the States, I bought manual transmission vehicles for the next 30+ years. I like the control they offer the driver. My wife and I had everything from VW beetles, Jeep Wrangler, Triumph TR6, Hondas, Toyotas, Chevy's, GMC pick-ups, SUVs,etc.,all stick shift. The only xmsn problem in all those years was in a Toyota SR5 (5 speed) truck. The transmission died with less than 50K miles.

We moved to the Chicago area and after dealing with the huge traffic jams, switched to automatics. Manual transmissions lose their appeal when a 10 mile trip can take 2 hours.

Our current tow vehicle is a Subaru Forester with an auto trans. It is limited to 2,400 lbs and 200 lbs tongue weight. More than adequate for our needs. We bought our little Scamp 13 late last summer and only a few trips, but so far it has been stellar. Our Subie is a 2011 model. When we looked at the Subaru line, the dealer told us to steer away from the CVT transmissions for towing. Hopefully the problem, real or imagined, was fixed in later models.

BTW, my all-time favorite vehicle was my much beloved red, extended cab 2001 Ford Ranger Edge with a 4.0 six and a 6 speed auto transmission. I LOVED that little truck. It was a perfect size for us. Talk about versatile? I could haul a deer out of the woods one day, landscape materials the next, and bring the groceries home from the market as well as
being very comfortable for long trips. Unfortunately, it met it's demise on I-94 in downtown Chicago. I almost cried. Did I mention I loved that truck? Why Ford dropped the Ford Ranger in the US, is beyond me. It would have made a good tow vehicle IMO.

Oh yeah, I liked the snapped down version of the Extang tonneau cover. Mine was 7 years old when the truck went to the big junkyard in the sky, but still looked like new.

Tom
Old 12-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #69

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
My first vehicle was an 82 Honda MB5. 50cc of pure power. A whole 7 hp. But what it had over all mopeds was 5 gears. That, and front disk brakes. I have preferred a standard ever since. My first Pontiac Firefly was a 1000cc 3 cylinder 65 hp, with a 5 speed manual. Same as my Yamaha RZ350 two stroke. A little less mass on the RZ though. Oh, I loved that bike.

Now though, as others have noticed, standard transmissions are hard to find. The last two Fireflys have been 4 cylinder autos. I guess that is what the people want.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #70

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
auto vs manual transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Remember when Nissan was Datsun? I bought mine new and it literally broke more in six months than all the cars I have owned since! They were so ashamed they changed their name!
I have had a dozen Rangers in fleet, four of my own, and four in the family. I would gladly compare the worst of the lot with the best of the rest.
My present Ranger is only 14 years old and in excellent shape. Its predecessor left the state in good shape with more than two hundred thousand miles and no oil consumption.

Yep, we had 4 mid 70's Datsun pickups, from 240k-480k miles on them before burning oil. IIRC, we racked up an alternator, water pump, and one set of u-joints between the four of them. Several of them got a used engine and kept going at that point.

Never touched a clutch on any of them until engine change.

As for the subaru cvt, I was warned about them by a mechanic when I bought my '11, also. I hated the cvt, so I had ordered a 6 speed manual, anyway.