auto vs manual transmission - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #71

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Manual vs Auto

Our current 2014 Outback is our third automatic and we only got an auto because the ol' knees stopped liking clutching.
My first car was a 1959 Triumph Estate Wagon. I loved that car and even got over 40mpg once. Once when the rear end started slipping out, just taking the foot off the gas straightened it right out.
Then I accidently got a 1957 Dodge Coronet with a Red Ram V8 and a two speed pushbutton transmission. Got all of 6mpg. That car would spin the tires at a stop light just idling on a slippery road.
Bought all sticks since then except for an inherited 1985 Mercury Marquis.
Our 2000 Outback with 4 speed towed Homelet just fine. In fact we bought Homelet to match the tow abilities of the Suby. Also had a 2001 VW Golf, 4spd. Sold them both and bought the '14 Outback.
Once with the 2000 Subaru I was towing Homelet west on 167th (ish) in Shoreline, and up a relatively steep hill. Wouldn't you know there was a stop sign at the top at Ashworth. Why do cities always do that?
Anyway, I was wishing I had my old '77 Jeep Cherokee with the low low range. I thought I was going to burn that clutch up before I finally got started. Didn't detect any problems with the clutch after that, though.
Speaking of the Jeep. Once going to work, going down a long hill on 140th to Hwy 169 while 140th was still a two lane and it was a sheet of ice. I crept down that hill in low/low. Was so happy for the ability to do that.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #72

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
My mother had a Datsun Fairlady 1600 Roadster when I was in my early teens. I wanted to be as cool as her so I saved up so I could purchased a brand new Triumph when I got my licence. The transmission went on it while driving it home from the dealer.... didnt get to drive my new car for another 2 months as British Leyland was on strike and no parts available to fix it .... a year later and off warranty the car had a lot of wiring issues - make a right turn and the horn would honk. Turn on the turn signal and smoke would come out of the dash LOL it went on and on - every month something new. Only one guy in town that had a clue as to how to fix the Lucas wiring and he fixed it up many times over the 4 years I had the car .... a number of years later the same guy was convicted for having built the bomb that took down the Air India flight

Since that car I had always driven manual transmissions up until six years ago .... now I have gone to automatic don't think I will go back. Have had no issues towing with an automatic.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #73

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
My mother had a Datsun Fairlady 1600 Roadster when I was in my early teens. I wanted to be as cool as her so I saved up so I could purchased a brand new Triumph when I got my licence. The transmission went on it while driving it home from the dealer.... didnt get to drive my new car for another 2 months as British Leyland was on strike and no parts available to fix it .... a year later and off warranty the car had a lot of wiring issues - make a right turn and the horn would honk. Turn on the turn signal and smoke would come out of the dash LOL it went on and on - every month something new. Only one guy in town that had a clue as to how to fix the Lacus wiring and he fixed it up many times over the 4 years I had the car .... a number of years later the same guy was convicted for having built the bomb that took down the Air India flight

Since that car I had always driven manual transmissions up until six years ago .... now I have gone to automatic don't think I will go back. Have had no issues towing with an automatic.
Carol, I made a mistake in my earlier post. I bought a new Triumph GT6, not a TR6. The GT6 was a fastback version of the Spitfire with a 6 cylinder motor. The year was 1971. Like your experience I had nothing but electrical problems. I dumped it before it went out of warranty. I think it was in the shop more than it was out for the 10 months I owned it. It had Lucas ignition, and just about everything else electrical. I also had a Triumph Bonneville (motor cycle) with Lucas problems. In England Lucas was known as the 'Prince of Darkness" due to the light failures no doubt. All the Leyland products used Lucas, not sure if they still do. The 4 speed trans. and engine were strong when they ran. I raced and beat a couple Datsun 240Z's in the Allegheny Mountains.

Tom
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #74

Washington
Registry
Talking Owner's manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I liked the manual because I can throw it into neutral and roll to stop signs and down hills.
I have read in one of my owner's manuals not to do that.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #75

Washington
Registry
Smile English cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Carol, I made a mistake in my earlier post. I bought a new Triumph GT6, not a TR6. The GT6 was a fastback version of the Spitfire with a 6 cylinder motor. The year was 1971. Like your experience I had nothing but electrical problems. I dumped it before it went out of warranty. I think it was in the shop more than it was out for the 10 months I owned it. It had Lucas ignition, and just about everything else electrical. I also had a Triumph Bonneville (motor cycle) with Lucas problems. In England Lucas was known as the 'Prince of Darkness" due to the light failures no doubt. All the Leyland products used Lucas, not sure if they still do. The 4 speed trans. and engine were strong when they ran. I raced and beat a couple Datsun 240Z's in the Allegheny Mountains.

Tom
Ah, the wonderful world of Smith electrics.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #76

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Ah, the wonderful world of Smith electrics.
I had to laugh as a few years after I got rid of the car I got a recall letter saying that I needed to take it in to the dealer as there was a potential for an engine fire just a little late....

I actually went through 3 transmissions on it - 2 under warranty in year one. When the 3rd one went the car was about 3 years old and a former driver for British Layland had opened a repair shop up in town. He asked me to go for a drive with him down one of the windy roads in the area using one of his cars. We did that and afterwards he laughed and asked me who had taught me to drive - another former race car driver that he know he said that although I probable drive faster than I should he was pretty sure my driving wasn't the issue. Took the transmission apart and then wrote a letter to British Layland telling them that one of the mounting holes was slightly off and in his opinion it was why the car was blowing transmissions... British Layland paid for the install of yet another transmission. I was a very grateful person as I didnt have a lot of money for repairs as I was still a student & still paying for the silly car. I sold the car right after.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #77

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
My mother had a Datsun Fairlady 1600 Roadster when I was in my early teens. I wanted to be as cool as her so I saved up so I could purchased a brand new Triumph when I got my licence. The transmission went on it while driving it home from the dealer.... didnt get to drive my new car for another 2 months as British Leyland was on strike and no parts available to fix it .... a year later and off warranty the car had a lot of wiring issues - make a right turn and the horn would honk. Turn on the turn signal and smoke would come out of the dash LOL it went on and on - every month something new. Only one guy in town that had a clue as to how to fix the Lucas wiring and he fixed it up many times over the 4 years I had the car .... a number of years later the same guy was convicted for having built the bomb that took down the Air India flight

I had a 1968 Triumph TR250. This was the transition year between the TR4 and the TR6. It had the TR6 engine and running gear, but was styled similar to the TR4. Interestingly it had an electronic overdrive which worked on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Never had an issue with the tranny. I also had a Datsun 1600 and reverse gear went out twice.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #78

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
My first car was a Rover TC2000. Not only wiring issues with that one but tranny as well. Just started going out with my now wife and imagine look on her Dad's face as we backed down the road home about one km because reverse was the only gear working! Another time it stuck in second which wasn't as bad.

Have owned many manual transmissions since then, and now back to automatic for towing and love the tow/haul mode on the F150.

Adrian

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #79
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I had a 1968 Triumph TR250. This was the transition year between the TR4 and the TR6. It had the TR6 engine and running gear, but was styled similar to the TR4. Interestingly it had an electronic overdrive which worked on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Never had an issue with the tranny. I also had a Datsun 1600 and reverse gear went out twice.
I had '65 Spitfire. Fun to drive when it ran. There was an import junk yard on Staten Island. I was on a first name basis with the owner. I traded it for an AMC Gremlin. I would love to have had a TR250. A friend had a TR6. Nice cars but scary fast. Later I lusted after a Porche 911. Swore I'd buy one after graduation. I settled for a pickup truck. Raz
Old 12-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #80

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Well, as long as we are now talking sports cars, my first was a MG Midget. Definitely a standard transmission, and lots of fun to drive, although my current RAV4 Sport is a far better vehicle and just as much fun...
(Excuse the photo quality - I didn't take it!)
Attached Thumbnails
fam075.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #81
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Well, as long as we are now talking sports cars, my first was a MG Midget. Definitely a standard transmission, and lots of fun to drive, although my current RAV4 Sport is a far better vehicle and just as much fun...
(Excuse the photo quality - I didn't take it!)
Didn't the MG's have 3 windshield wipers at some point?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #82

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Maybe the full sized; the midget only had 2. Vacuum operated, so you could stop them by stepping on the gas.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #83

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Didn't the MG's have 3 windshield wipers at some point?
Jaguar E-types and some Morgans had three wipers to meet the US wiped area rules at one point - but never MGs, I think.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #84
Raz

Vermont
I vaguely remembered a sales brochure showing an MG with three wipers. According to Wikipedia a third wiper was added in 1968 to Midgets sold in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Midget
Attached Thumbnails
image-3664576614.jpg