Automatic vs Manual trans?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Automatic vs Manual trans??

If you were to buy a new Nissan Frontier, which would you choose, the Automatic 5spd, or the Manual 6 spd? I have preferred manuals all my life, but nowadays the automatics are really slick, and sometimes give better mpg because they match load with gearing so quickly. I am looking at a Frontier V6 King Cab 4WD.

I am doing research in preparation for getting an Escape 5.0. It looks like the Nissan Frontier V6 has the most HP and towing capability, although I think the Tacoma is a very close second.

Somebody with experience please chime in. Manual or Automatic?

Thanks, Walter of Nevada City, CA
Walter Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I towed with a 6 speed frontier and the only issue I had was backing uphill into a camping spot, smelled the clutch. I think auto's with the trans cooler are just as efficient.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I like the Manual for when not towing but would prefer the Auto for Towing.

No easy answer unless you get 2?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

California
I have smelt the nasty burnt rubbery fumes of a roasting clutch! This is the main reason, besides snow and ice on the road, why 4WD is my choice for towing. Put it in 4LowRange and you can just crawl up that hill with no revving, feathering and burning. You might not use it very often, but it's a lifesaver when you need it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I towed with a 6 speed frontier and the only issue I had was backing uphill into a camping spot, smelled the clutch. I think auto's with the trans cooler are just as efficient.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
Does that work in reverse and on dry pavement? I'm not talking about 4 wheel vs 2 wheel but auto vs stick
Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think in most cases the modern automatics will out perform manual transmissions. I believe the great improvement happened with the converter lock mode. I watch the tachometer and try to keep the converter in lock as much as possible. When needed to slip, like backing into a spot, the torque converter makes it much easier.

Even when not towing it's much easier to ease over those speed bumps with an automatic.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Does that work in reverse and on dry pavement? I'm not talking about 4 wheel vs 2 wheel but auto vs stick
I have 4wd so I think I can answer this simply yes for the reverse. Dry pavement NO. But you get enough traction on dry pavement that you don't need to use 4 wheel drive, in fact unless you have AWD your wheels need to be able to slip. On gravel backing up into a spot, yes to both 4 wheel drive and automatic. On pavement no to 4 wheel drive, yes to automatic.

The transfer case is behind the transmission so the torque converter is still in play no matter 4 wheel drive high, 4 wheel drive low, or 2 wheel drive. Forward, gear, reverse are controlled by the transmission.

Both of my vehicles are 4 wheel drive automatic transmission.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #8

California
Just a clarification: It's the Low Range that will save you! 4WD is not to be driven on dry pavement, yes, but it does no harm to go a short distance on pavement, like up some steep hill leading up to a campsite. It doesn't get jammed, and will pop back out without wearing down any components. Driving down the road in 4WD will kill it, alright. Low Range gives awesome torque, so much torque at such a slow engine rpm that it doesn't matter whether you have a manual or automatic. No burning clutch in Low Range! The biggest clutch-killer I know of, is starting from a standstill at the bottom of a hill, fully loaded, and doing front and backup maneuvers under that stress.

I am thinking the Automatic, with 4WD would be an awesome combination that could face any challenge out there, plus enough off-roading capability to get you way off the beaten path safely.

Thanks for all the intelligent comments!

Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I have 4wd so I think I can answer this simply yes for the reverse. Dry pavement NO. But you get enough traction on dry pavement that you don't need to use 4 wheel drive, in fact unless you have AWD your wheels need to be able to slip. On gravel backing up into a spot, yes to both 4 wheel drive and automatic. On pavement no to 4 wheel drive, yes to automatic.

The transfer case is behind the transmission so the torque converter is still in play no matter 4 wheel drive high, 4 wheel drive low, or 2 wheel drive. Forward, gear, reverse are controlled by the transmission.

Both of my vehicles are 4 wheel drive automatic transmission.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I prefer a manual transmission. Inquire as to the clutch size before purchase. If you don't have a real need for 4WD... then 2WD is actually better for towing especially with a limited slip differential. The only drawback really is backing up... that's when most drivers tend to stress the clutch by slipping it, seeking more control.
I'm assuming you have an aversion (like mine) to owning a fullsized truck, besides they are all automatics now.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Depending on the spacing of the gears and final drive ratios and whether you plan to drive in mountains much, having one extra gear may (or may not) be of occasional use and advantage. Going from a 4 speed auto to a 5 speed auto made a huge towing difference for me. But from a 5 to a 6... not sure if it's going to come into play that much for towing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The automatics have a heaver tow (Load) rating than the manual and I think it is due to the torque converter vers the clutch. Very smooth take off.

With the Automatic you should not have the transmission getting stuck in neutral during a downshift on a very steep hill. The manuals should not do that however they have in the past.

Read the signs on the steepest hills B 4 going down and they state that all big trucks shall stop, check brakes and place their transmissions in 2nd. Then when U go down the hill you will C escape ramps for the trucks that get away from their drivers. (Going 2 fast) West Virginia Interstate 64 is a great example of Long Steep Grades.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #12

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra with 6 speed manual. Got it off a frind of mine after he replaced the clutch (36k miles). He burned out the clutch trying to back a 17" Casita up the slight incline in his driveway. For some reason and I really can't explain it but that 6 speed (stolen from the Z cars) is the worst backing transmission I've ever used. I thought he was just a "clutch burner" until I tried the same thing with a light weight utility trailer. It just has no reverse power. I guess the reverse gear ratio was just intended for a light sports car and was never changed when it went too a SUV.

I'd never own a manual trans tow vehicle unless it had a transmission intended for that task (low first gear like the 3/4-1 ton trucks).
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
normally reverse and 1st gear are the same ratio in standard, i thought
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #14

Texas
Quote:

For the 6 speed Xterra (I assume is the same as the Frontier) on ehow:
The manual is a six-speed overdrive with gear ratios, from one to six, of 4.37, 2.52, 1.74, 1.28, 1.00 and .77. The reverse gear ratio is 3.97, and the axle ratio is 3.54.

Read more: Nissan Xterra Offroad Options | eHow.com Nissan Xterra Offroad Options | eHow.com
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
The gearing in the transmission may be the same, but the output shaft will turn at a different speed in reverse. This is because reverse uses the same forward gear as first, but causes the output shaft to spin the opposite direction by locking the planet carrier in the planetary gear. It turns the opposite way, but at a different speed.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #16

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I tow with a 2006 Frontier 4WD CC six speed manual. Love it.

Driven properly, you will not smoke the clutch in these trucks. I routinely back one of the rather heavy horse trailers up an incline by the barn with this truck, and yes, using 4 low is a good way of doing this. I've never smelled burning clutch, but then I am indeed careful with it.

The 4WD Frontier is a better choice for towing compared to the 2WD because they equip the 4WD models with the larger, stronger Dana 44 differential ( 9.8" ring gear, and 1.625" pinion shaft ). Excellent differential.

Simply put, I prefer a manual gearbox, mostly because I like to drive them. Automatics are pretty efficient these days.

If you are buying a Frontier, get it with the tow package. Mine came with factory tow packagae, and has oil cooler, power steering cooler, and auxilary fan. The extra fan may in fact be standard even without tow, but I am not sure on that. Definitely a good thing to have. It kept it's cool just fine yesterday pulling the long grades, and it was over 100 degrees, so of course the A/C was on too.

My camper is one of the square boxes, and I am in Wyoming right now with it behind the Nissan. I get 12.5 to 13 mpg avg with this, running between 55 and 60 mph. I have seen as low as 9.8 when pushing into bad headwinds, and 15 on an easy day. Pulling the horse trailer ( lower, more rounded, much like your FG shapes ) I usually get 12 to 15 mpg.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #17

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I became tired of shifting and went from an 05 Tacoma 5 Sp. to an 07 Tacoma automatic.
I'm satisfied with the towing ability but the 07 Tacoma lacks a very low first gear which is useless on down grades and does not have a grade retard gear.
If the Nissan has a very low first gear or a grade retard you may enjoy not shifting.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

The 4WD Frontier is a better choice for towing compared to the 2WD because they equip the 4WD models with the larger, stronger Dana 44 differential ( 9.8" ring gear, and 1.625" pinion shaft ). Excellent differential.
Now if they had only done the same for the FRONT end... )-:}

My Xterra does not have a towing package. Using 4 low for backing might be the best plan even on pavement..
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #19

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
Now if they had only done the same for the FRONT end... )-:}

My Xterra does not have a towing package. Using 4 low for backing might be the best plan even on pavement..
Realistically though, it's pretty rare that you actually tow in 4WD. The front diff has proven to be pretty stout in the hands of the abusive youngsters that off road these things.

Regarding the auto trans, if i'm not mistaken, the Fronty uses the same trans as the bigger Titan. It too has proven to be good.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #20

Registry
I don't tow in 4wheel drive, but I have used 4WD to get out a campsite on more than one occasion. Soft gravel on a slope and rear wheels started spinning. A quick flip of the switch and out we came. I had the same thing happen while trying to back the trailer into it's home port. 4WD to rescue. Don't use it very often, but it's sure nice when needed. However without I would have found another way.