Automatic vs Manual trans?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #41

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Regarding the failure of .......snip......

If I were buying a used Frontier with an auto, I believe I would install a new radiator and...........
.....well, here is some irony ! I wrote the above on tuesday I think it was. I am back home now....made it back in one piece ( ha ! defied death again ! ) ....and when I went out in the garage this morning, I smelled coolant. Checked the radiator and the overflow bottle....all looked good. But.....crawled under the truck, and a faint bit of green residue along the bottom tank of the radiator !
It's at the shop now getting a new radiator, and while he's in there I asked him to change all the hoses too. All for the bargain ( ? ! ) price of 'just' $710 !!

Oh well.....it's cheaper to keep 'er......

If you're gonna keep them, sometimes you have to throw some parts at them......

I'm just glad it did not let go crossing Nebraska in over 100 degree heat yesterday. Any day that it rolls into the shop under it's own power has to be considered counting your blessings !
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #42

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Personally, I think an automatic transmission takes the fun factor out of driving. Granted, while much more expensive to fix than a clutch replacement, they are efficient and deliver better performance than a poorly driven manual. But a blow up doll can be efficient and sometimes deliver better performance, but where is the fun?
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #43
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Personally, I think an automatic transmission takes the fun factor out of driving.
I'm on the same page but the days of raming one of these through the gears are behind me. Now the vehicles in the driveway need to be "WUF"(wife user friendly)
Attached Thumbnails
hurst.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I just read about that. It appears that there's a transmission cooler built into the radiator. Sometimes after 80,000 miles the cooler breaks down and allows water into the transmission. Seems to me the easy solution, once beyond warranty, would be to disconnect the internal cooler and install an external cooler. Just a thought.
When I talked to my mechanic about adding a trans cooler he said the add on ones are supplemental and not a replacement. Reason given was air cooled add-on is not going to remove nearly as much heat as a water cooled one in the radiator.

Does not mean they don't make add-on coolers that can act as total replacements but worth making sure what you use is appropriate as total cooling source for tranny.

I love the control of a stick when the going gets "sticky" but it's hard to beat the ease of use and wife friendly aspect of an automatic. Especially in traffic. As long as the OD off is not a pain, hate having to remember to hit that button everytime I start the car. Or worry I'm going to fry transmission.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I'm on the same page but the days of raming one of these through the gears are behind me. Now the vehicles in the driveway need to be "WUF"(wife user friendly)
My wife and my daughter do not want a "handicap transmission", in fact my daughter just bought a Mazda 6, solely because it was the only 6 passenger car available with a manual transmission.
87% of Americans (and I assume Canadians) can't even drive a car with a manual transmission so there's a lot of uncoordinated guys out there as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #46

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My wife and my daughter do not want a "handicap transmission", in fact my daughter just bought a Mazda 6, solely because it was the only 6 passenger car available with a manual transmission.
87% of Americans (and I assume Canadians) can't even drive a car with a manual transmission so there's a lot of uncoordinated guys out there as well.
Good for her! I think you gain a lot more instinctive understanding of a car driving with a manual. The term "low gear" actually means something to you if nothing else.

DW can drive stick, and air brakes. DW just has a distinct preference for automatic. All 4 kids can drive stick too. We are just a weird family I guess. (actually I KNOW we are, just another example)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #47
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
my daughter just bought a Mazda 6, solely because it was the only 6 passenger car available with a manual transmission.
I take my hat off to your daughter. A cool lady. I once had a 1989 Mazda 626 4 door sedan with a 5 speed manual. Luved that car.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #48

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
But a blow up doll can be efficient and sometimes deliver better performance, but where is the fun?
Are blow-up dolls better for towing? Or have I missed the point?
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #49

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
What about the Mazda5? I guess some may not consider it a "passenger car" since it sort of looks like a minivan. My wife has one, albeit with a "handicap" transmission. Is a nice car, but too small for me. I'm only 6'3", and I cannot sit in the passenger seat without my knees touching the glove box. That's with the seat all the way back. There is almost always a car seat right behind the passenger seat, so that further limits the travel of the front seat. When we go out as a family, we take the Outback.