Automatic vs. manual transmission - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
I have had manual shifter stuck in my old ford van twice. Had to pull over pop hood to fix it. Always put it up to sloppy shifting or driver error.

Toyota rates cars without cooler or trailer brakes in flier.
Trailer brakes take the braking load off the tug and cooler prevents transaxle over heating due to air we push at speed.
Also some autos have a TV setting.

Still ours is setup to tow 'custom class III hitch with WD system' and more.

Owen Sound is in a valley along the Niagara Escarpment lots of steep hills the boler is so light it is not a problem.

In the end we have to be safe and meet all the legal requirements.
__________________

__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
In all my years of towing, the weakest link in my tow vehicle has always been the automatic transmission. Failures I've experienced have always occurred without warning in obscure, out-of-the-way places. These have seriously impacted my vacations on several occasions and have been very expensive to repair, especially with a long tow distance.

Soooo -- the best way I know to eliminate this inconvenience is to eliminate the automatic transmission.

I'll go with a manual every time, given a choice.
__________________

__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
I was recently shopping the full-size, half-ton trucks for my next tow vehicle. I don't think a manual is available in any of them anymore.
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I was recently shopping the full-size, half-ton trucks for my next tow vehicle. I don't think a manual is available in any of them anymore.
This is just one more reason why I am going today to look seriously at a 33 year old tow vehicle. It will be built to my specs and have real brakes and consistent driver operated controls, and yes... a 5-speed manual transmission.
I simply will no longer pay too much for a product I do not want,with features mandated by incompetents.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
You go Floyd!!!
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
In all my years of towing, the weakest link in my tow vehicle has always been the automatic transmission.
The weakest link in MY tow vehicle is the driver!...: ME

Francesca
__________________
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #35
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,055
I don't believe you can buy a new full size pickup with a manual transmission anymore. The Nissan Frontier and the Toyota Tacoma midsize still list them. We bought a new Frontier last year. The only manual they could find was in N.J., 350 miles away. They wanted several hundred dollars more to get the manual than the automatic on the lot, so we settled. It's the first automatic we have ever owned. We are already looking at buying a Subaru with a manual to replace it. I'm not sure if it is the trend to load them up to increase profits or the integration of the engine and the transmission via electronic control for fuel economy reasons but manuals are becoming a thing of the past. If I lived further south I'd go the route Floyd is suggesting but there are very few 10 year old daily rides here in VT. Road salt! Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I don't believe you can buy a new full size pickup with a manual transmission anymore. The Nissan Frontier and the Toyota Tacoma midsize still list them. We bought a new Frontier last year. The only manual they could find was in N.J., 350 miles away. They wanted several hundred dollars more to get the manual than the automatic on the lot, so we settled. It's the first automatic we have ever owned. We are already looking at buying a Subaru with a manual to replace it. I'm not sure if it is the trend to load them up to increase profits or the integration of the engine and the transmission via electronic control for fuel economy reasons but manuals are becoming a thing of the past. If I lived further south I'd go the route Floyd is suggesting but there are very few 10 year old daily rides here in VT. Road salt! Raz
Heck... I live in northern Illinois, they salt the roads here just to stimulate new car sales!
You can always go where you find the good ones to buy.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This is just one more reason why I am going today to look seriously at a 33 year old tow vehicle. It will be built to my specs and have real brakes and consistent driver operated controls, and yes... a 5-speed manual transmission.
.
1978 Trillium Factory Tow Vehicle!!!
Just what Doctor Floyd ordered...is that a Plymouth Duster???Click image for larger version

Name:	1978 <a title=Trillium Factory Tow Vehicle0001.jpg Views: 10 Size: 390.3 KB ID: 35339" style="margin: 2px" />

Can't tell about the 5-speed Part................??


Francesca
__________________
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
1978 Trillium Factory Tow Vehicle!!!
Just what Doctor Floyd ordered...is that a Plymouth Duster???Attachment 35339

Can't tell about the 5-speed Part................??


Francesca
3 or 4 maybe ... any more would be a mod
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1980 Burro
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We bought a new Frontier last year. The only manual they could find was in N.J., 350 miles away. They wanted several hundred dollars more to get the manual than the automatic on the lot, so we settled. It's the first automatic we have ever owned. We are already looking at buying a Subaru with a manual to replace it. Raz
You probably should have settled on a different dealer rather than a different transmission. The auto transmissions usually cost about $1000 more than the manual so that several hundred more for the manual is really several hundred plus $1000. The Tacoma with manual that I bought a few years ago came from out of state, 250 miles away, and they did not charge any extra over one on the lot, just had to wait a week. I have purchased several cars that came in from out of state and never had to pay for it. Your dealer just wanted a quick sale and to maximize profit, I bet they would have changed their mind if you were walking out the door.

We may replace our old Subaru with manual with a new one, but for the first time in my life I am considering an automatic. The Subaru auto is a CVT and gets more MPG than the manual 6 speed. It was very very smooth in the test drive.
__________________
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,236
Registry
Get your new Subaru and let me know how it handles hills, Andy. My problem with the Forester automatic (my mom has the 2002; I have a 2000 manual) is that it has much less oomph on hills. Nowhere near as peppy though it isn't all that bad as automatics go.
__________________
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #41
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,055
Andy B., you missed the point. Out of several hundred Frontiers to choose from they could only find one manual. So while the manufacturer lists a manual they don't make enough to meet demand.

The dealer in Jersey set the price. Cost is proportional to need.

Finally, when you have a car transported you always pay for it. Car dealers don't do anything for free.
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Andy B., you missed the point. Out of several hundred Frontiers to choose from they could only find one manual. So while the manufacturer lists a manual they don't make enough to meet demand.

The dealer in Jersey set the price. Cost is proportional to need.

Finally, when you have a car transported you always pay for it. Car dealers don't do anything for free.
Around here, when a dealer trade is made, it is not only free, but they won't even let the buyer help in the pick up or delivery.
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between automatic demand and switched pumps GordM Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 04-12-2011 05:52 AM
Automatic vs. Manual Transmission Mailie Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 8 06-19-2010 06:30 PM
Transmission temps Kevin K General Chat 9 01-25-2009 12:51 PM
Automatic Transmission Stuf Pete Dumbleton General Chat 0 05-01-2008 10:11 PM
Automatic Transmission Fluid Temperatures Pete Dumbleton General Chat 1 03-04-2008 04:53 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.