Automatic vs. manual transmission - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #29

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
I have had manual shifter stuck in my old ford van twice. Had to pull over pop hood to fix it. Always put it up to sloppy shifting or driver error.

Toyota rates cars without cooler or trailer brakes in flier.
Trailer brakes take the braking load off the tug and cooler prevents transaxle over heating due to air we push at speed.
Also some autos have a TV setting.

Still ours is setup to tow 'custom class III hitch with WD system' and more.

Owen Sound is in a valley along the Niagara Escarpment lots of steep hills the boler is so light it is not a problem.

In the end we have to be safe and meet all the legal requirements.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
In all my years of towing, the weakest link in my tow vehicle has always been the automatic transmission. Failures I've experienced have always occurred without warning in obscure, out-of-the-way places. These have seriously impacted my vacations on several occasions and have been very expensive to repair, especially with a long tow distance.

Soooo -- the best way I know to eliminate this inconvenience is to eliminate the automatic transmission.

I'll go with a manual every time, given a choice.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #31

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
I was recently shopping the full-size, half-ton trucks for my next tow vehicle. I don't think a manual is available in any of them anymore.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #32

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I was recently shopping the full-size, half-ton trucks for my next tow vehicle. I don't think a manual is available in any of them anymore.
This is just one more reason why I am going today to look seriously at a 33 year old tow vehicle. It will be built to my specs and have real brakes and consistent driver operated controls, and yes... a 5-speed manual transmission.
I simply will no longer pay too much for a product I do not want,with features mandated by incompetents.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #33

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You go Floyd!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #34

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren G. Hedahl View Post
In all my years of towing, the weakest link in my tow vehicle has always been the automatic transmission.
The weakest link in MY tow vehicle is the driver!...: ME

Francesca
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #35
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I don't believe you can buy a new full size pickup with a manual transmission anymore. The Nissan Frontier and the Toyota Tacoma midsize still list them. We bought a new Frontier last year. The only manual they could find was in N.J., 350 miles away. They wanted several hundred dollars more to get the manual than the automatic on the lot, so we settled. It's the first automatic we have ever owned. We are already looking at buying a Subaru with a manual to replace it. I'm not sure if it is the trend to load them up to increase profits or the integration of the engine and the transmission via electronic control for fuel economy reasons but manuals are becoming a thing of the past. If I lived further south I'd go the route Floyd is suggesting but there are very few 10 year old daily rides here in VT. Road salt! Raz
Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #36

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I don't believe you can buy a new full size pickup with a manual transmission anymore. The Nissan Frontier and the Toyota Tacoma midsize still list them. We bought a new Frontier last year. The only manual they could find was in N.J., 350 miles away. They wanted several hundred dollars more to get the manual than the automatic on the lot, so we settled. It's the first automatic we have ever owned. We are already looking at buying a Subaru with a manual to replace it. I'm not sure if it is the trend to load them up to increase profits or the integration of the engine and the transmission via electronic control for fuel economy reasons but manuals are becoming a thing of the past. If I lived further south I'd go the route Floyd is suggesting but there are very few 10 year old daily rides here in VT. Road salt! Raz
Heck... I live in northern Illinois, they salt the roads here just to stimulate new car sales!
You can always go where you find the good ones to buy.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #37

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This is just one more reason why I am going today to look seriously at a 33 year old tow vehicle. It will be built to my specs and have real brakes and consistent driver operated controls, and yes... a 5-speed manual transmission.
1978 Trillium Factory Tow Vehicle!!!
Just what Doctor Floyd ordered...is that a Plymouth Duster???Click image for larger version

Name:	1978 <a title=Trillium Factory Tow Vehicle0001.jpg Views: 10 Size: 390.3 KB ID: 35339" style="margin: 2px" />

Can't tell about the 5-speed Part................??

Francesca
Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #38

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
1978 Trillium Factory Tow Vehicle!!!
Just what Doctor Floyd ordered...is that a Plymouth Duster???Attachment 35339

Can't tell about the 5-speed Part................??

Francesca
3 or 4 maybe ... any more would be a mod
Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #39

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
We bought a new Frontier last year. The only manual they could find was in N.J., 350 miles away. They wanted several hundred dollars more to get the manual than the automatic on the lot, so we settled. It's the first automatic we have ever owned. We are already looking at buying a Subaru with a manual to replace it. Raz
You probably should have settled on a different dealer rather than a different transmission. The auto transmissions usually cost about $1000 more than the manual so that several hundred more for the manual is really several hundred plus $1000. The Tacoma with manual that I bought a few years ago came from out of state, 250 miles away, and they did not charge any extra over one on the lot, just had to wait a week. I have purchased several cars that came in from out of state and never had to pay for it. Your dealer just wanted a quick sale and to maximize profit, I bet they would have changed their mind if you were walking out the door.

We may replace our old Subaru with manual with a new one, but for the first time in my life I am considering an automatic. The Subaru auto is a CVT and gets more MPG than the manual 6 speed. It was very very smooth in the test drive.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #40

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Get your new Subaru and let me know how it handles hills, Andy. My problem with the Forester automatic (my mom has the 2002; I have a 2000 manual) is that it has much less oomph on hills. Nowhere near as peppy though it isn't all that bad as automatics go.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #41
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Andy B., you missed the point. Out of several hundred Frontiers to choose from they could only find one manual. So while the manufacturer lists a manual they don't make enough to meet demand.

The dealer in Jersey set the price. Cost is proportional to need.

Finally, when you have a car transported you always pay for it. Car dealers don't do anything for free.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #42

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Andy B., you missed the point. Out of several hundred Frontiers to choose from they could only find one manual. So while the manufacturer lists a manual they don't make enough to meet demand.

The dealer in Jersey set the price. Cost is proportional to need.

Finally, when you have a car transported you always pay for it. Car dealers don't do anything for free.
Around here, when a dealer trade is made, it is not only free, but they won't even let the buyer help in the pick up or delivery.