Axle Help Please !! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1300
Oh yes i did go buy the pick on pauls site, thats why i ordered the 10 up, from my experience i would of ordered 10 down. the boler would sit better with the weight on it.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #16

axle

some pics of my axle and trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1071.jpg   Picture 1069.jpg  

Picture 1072.jpg  

Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Gordon,

My axle is bolted on 1.25" square tube, a modification from the last owner (Thanks Roy for the help) so would you suggest 10 down.
Also I see your bracket mount is "outboard", like mine and not the standard. Did you have to wait longer for the axle b/c of this bracket?
Do you by chance remember your measurements?
- Hub-Face-Hub 64"
-Outside main rails 48"
-Outside rail to hub face 8"
Of course the final question is how much from the Hitch Center $$

Thanks

Glen
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #18

give me a call at 902 489 1967
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #19

your measurements are good except for the 48" outside of frame. the frame is 48 " correct but the measurement you need is out side of brackets for the axle therefore you need 49 " because the brackets are 2" wide and the frame is 1 1/2 " wide. if you order a 48 " it will not fit outside of the drop floor. If you call me I can explain a little better and you can visit mine to have a look at how i have mine mounted. The cost 330 taxes in.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I posted drawings with measurements on my axle swap post that might help.
Replacing an Axle - leading arm to trailing arm
Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #21

i would certainly recommend 10 down or at least 0 as you can see mine from the pics, mine was ordered 10 up and when the weight sits on the axle is goes up quite abit.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #22

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Kinslow View Post
when the weight sits on the axle is goes up quite abit.
Check out page 12 of the Dexter Applications manual below.
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...0-2200_lbs.pdf

Look at the Articulation Dimensions for the #9 axle
The difference between no load and full load in the column marked "H", they will tell you how much the spindle raises when you have your trailer loaded. You can compare the various start angles. Then have a look at the shock load, that tells you how much further the spindle will travel when you go over a bump.

The next section Full Load Dimensions gives you an idea where the spindle will end up relative to your frame using various tire and start angle combinations under a full load. That helps you determine what angle you want from the height you want. Add on the shock load and the 3" clearance to make sure you don't scrub when everything settles in 15-20 years.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
your measurements are good except for the 48" outside of frame. the frame is 48 " correct but the measurement you need is out side of brackets for the axle therefore you need 49 " because the brackets are 2" wide and the frame is 1 1/2 " wide. if you order a 48 " it will not fit outside of the drop floor. If you call me I can explain a little better and you can visit mine to have a look at how i have mine mounted. The cost 330 taxes in.
Hi Gordon,

Sorry I missed the post, will you be around tomorrow (Wed)? The problem I have is that the last owner cut the original axle mounting brackets off the frame and replaced it with the 1.25" squared tube mounted offset on the bottom of the frame, maybe to get the height. So actually when I measure the frame rails it is 48" but when I measure from the add-on 1.25" tube (rail to rail) the measurement is 48.75". You can kind of see this in the pix I posted. I jacked it off the floor today, removed the wheels and did a pile of measuring. I also talked to Paul (awesome guy).
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #24

If you are keeping your blocks there, then your 48.75 may be correct, if I were you I would remove them and bolt it directly to the frame or you can order the weld on mounting plates when you order your new axle, this is why I ordered the reverse setup. I decided later that it was just as easy to mount it to the frame. Were I measured 49" is because I did the math and with the mount on the axle are 2" wide and the frame is 1.5" and the outside of frame rails are 48" therefore needed 49 so the mounting bracket on the axle would clear the drop floor. Mine fits like a glove. If you did order the 48.75" one. It may require you to force it in were the drop floor is. When I this about it a little more you are only talking about an 1/8" on each side so it may work. Just a tight fit.
Cheers
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #25

Ontario
Quote:
If you did order the 48.75" one. It may require you to force it in were the drop floor is. When I this about it a little more you are only talking about an 1/8" on each side so it may work. Just a tight fit.
Cheers
I'd double check the bracket dimensions on the Dexter site. That 1/8" tight fit either side is metal to metal and the thickness of the metal on the sides of the drop floor.

I repeat ... It is best to measure twice and order once.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #26

like i said i went with 49" measured from outside of brakets and mine fits like a glove, and the bracket dimensions are 2" wide (dexter #9 axle)
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #27

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Hi Glen,
I looked at quite a few axles before I replaced mine. Your axle was bolted onto a square tube below the frame. That is not a "standard" configuration, more likely a mod to raise the trailer due to an axle that has settled.
I realize this is a bit of a dredge, but I took a look under two Bolers this week ('74 and '77 or '78 - will have to double check on the year of the latter), and I think they both have the same bracket and tube configuration as shown in Coleman's photo (I wasn't looking specifically for this, but now that I see your photo I think it is the same).

I am almost 100% certain they are both original. The '74 was owned by the same folks for 18 years, starting in 1990 (and they were in contact with the previous owners), and then by me, and I don't believe it has had any axle work done; the '77/'78 was very lightly used and again, does not appear to have had any work done.

The '74 is a Neonex made in Winnipeg; the other is from Earlton.

I'll look again tomorrow to see if I'm correct or maybe just causing a hullabaloo for nothing and also see if I can post a couple of photos.

Raya

PS: In looking at Coleman's photo again (because it's dark and windy and cold so I don't want to go look at my Boler), I wonder if the square tube was welded to the frame so that then the axle could be bolted to the tube without making a (weakening) hole in the frame? I guess this could be answered if there is no hole there in the frame (which there would be if someone just added a tube to raise the trailer).

Tags
axle