Axle Help Please !! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Axle Help Please !!

Hi,
Our family made our first couple of trips out in our new reno'd 73. It was a blast and we just wanted to keep going. On the down side I overlooked the axle condition and I now know it needs replacement poor old Boler took a pounding.
I am hoping someone has the proper Dexter part number to get my 73 back on the road. I don't want to add brakes, change wheel size, or add height other than the original. Any help would be much appreciated.
I am also wondering what the estimated cost would be for the parts only. It appears a simple fix, only 4(qty) bolts hold it on.
Cheers,
Glen
glen coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Glen. Unless someone answers up, you might want to check with Paul Neumeister here: Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister

Paul is supplying axles for the 1300 Boler. Nice man, I'm sure he can give you some answers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Thank you Donna I am going to call Paul on Monday.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #4

I have also posted a picture of my swing arm with full weight applied, I believe the axle is toast....
Attached Thumbnails
73_boler axle.jpg  
Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Glen,
Your set up is not original. What you get may not be a bolt on solution. Who ever you order from will need to know the distance to the outside of the brackets, Hub face to hub face, the bolt pattern and you are going to have to pick a weight and start angle.
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #6

Hi Roy,

Just curious how you could tell from the pix that it is not original? I am going to try to get the name plate identification off the axle however I painted it when I had the coach off the frame. It appears to be exactly like the pix from Paul's website.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #7

additional pix

Picasa Web Albums - Glen - Coleman 73 Bo...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

Hi Glen,
I looked at quite a few axles before I replaced mine. Your axle was bolted onto a square tube below the frame. That is not a "standard" configuration, more likely a mod to raise the trailer due to an axle that has settled. I had to do it myself in a time restricted situation. (New tires were scrubbing the top of the wheel well and we were leaving in a week, no time to order and install and axle).

If you look closely at yours and the one on Paul's site. Your axle mount has the long face on the outside, Paul's is on the inside.

Have a look at this:
http://www.cerka.ca/Torflex_order_form.pdf
and the Dexter site
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - HOME

Modifying an old saying ... Measure twice order once.

Nice job on your trailer! Well done.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #9

Hi Roy,

Thank you for the information. I see what you are saying, I really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Glen
Old 08-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Just a guess...but it looks as if you were to order a stock axle and install it you may be riding a bit high due to the square tube spacer. If you were to get a stock axle I would install it with the space and take a look at your ride height....if it is too high remove the spacer. But with Nova Scotia roads a bit of height may not be a bad thing. Just hoping that the bolt holes will line up with the mounting flange of the new axle. Good Luck.

Where in NS?

HRM for me.

Kevin
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWA View Post
Just a guess...but it looks as if you were to order a stock axle and install it you may be riding a bit high due to the square tube spacer. If you were to get a stock axle I would install it with the space and take a look at your ride height....if it is too high remove the spacer. But with Nova Scotia roads a bit of height may not be a bad thing. Just hoping that the bolt holes will line up with the mounting flange of the new axle. Good Luck.

Where in NS?

HRM for me.

Kevin
I started the Boler reno in Tantallon but a job change took me to Pictou County. I see the Hitch Centre on 12B Rosedale Drive, Burnside is a dealer for Dexter (Torflex) but want to make sure I get the correct axle. I want to keep the future mods to minimum ($). I am hoping I can get somthing that will bolt on and use the the same wheels and tires. That's why I was interested in Paul's website the axle he sells looks very close to mine.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Hi Glen,
I looked at quite a few axles before I replaced mine. Your axle was bolted onto a square tube below the frame. That is not a "standard" configuration, more likely a mod to raise the trailer due to an axle that has settled. I had to do it myself in a time restricted situation. (New tires were scrubbing the top of the wheel well and we were leaving in a week, no time to order and install and axle).

If you look closely at yours and the one on Paul's site. Your axle mount has the long face on the outside, Paul's is on the inside.

Have a look at this:
http://www.cerka.ca/Torflex_order_form.pdf
and the Dexter site
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - HOME

Modifying an old saying ... Measure twice order once.

Nice job on your trailer! Well done.
Hi Roy,
Thanks, BTW how did you decide on the down angle on the axle? I see Scamp uses 25 degrees down (2010 website) and Torflex can be 22.5, 10 or 0. The one on Paul's website almost looks like 0 but I would like to be sure.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #13

Hi Glen,
I essentially used the specs off the Dexter and Flexride sites for the various start angles along with various tires sizes etc. in a spreadsheet to dermine which combination would give me the desired final riding height.
Here is how I did mine:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...arm-37248.html
Yes it was more complex than what you want to do, but I think I explain most the questions I've ever read about boler axles on FGRV in my post.

The one on Pauls site looks to me like a 10 up
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1300
I bought mine from the hitch centre in dartmouth NS (torflex). Grinded off the old one and bolted the new one on. Easy job. i ordered a 10 up but now wish i ordered a 10 down, because with the weight on it, it sits around 20 up, now will place 2 inch blocks to raise it up a bit
Gordon Kinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #15

Oh yes i did go buy the pick on pauls site, thats why i ordered the 10 up, from my experience i would of ordered 10 down. the boler would sit better with the weight on it.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #16

axle

some pics of my axle and trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1071.jpg   Picture 1069.jpg  

Picture 1072.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #17

Hi Gordon,

My axle is bolted on 1.25" square tube, a modification from the last owner (Thanks Roy for the help) so would you suggest 10 down.
Also I see your bracket mount is "outboard", like mine and not the standard. Did you have to wait longer for the axle b/c of this bracket?
Do you by chance remember your measurements?
- Hub-Face-Hub 64"
-Outside main rails 48"
-Outside rail to hub face 8"
Of course the final question is how much from the Hitch Center $$

Thanks

Glen
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #18

give me a call at 902 489 1967
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #19

your measurements are good except for the 48" outside of frame. the frame is 48 " correct but the measurement you need is out side of brackets for the axle therefore you need 49 " because the brackets are 2" wide and the frame is 1 1/2 " wide. if you order a 48 " it will not fit outside of the drop floor. If you call me I can explain a little better and you can visit mine to have a look at how i have mine mounted. The cost 330 taxes in.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #20

I posted drawings with measurements on my axle swap post that might help.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post168312

Tags
axle