Axle-Less AxleLess Suspension - TIMBREN - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #113

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13' 1977
California
Andrew !!
You DON'T reuse your nails?? What, ya made of money?
Us backwoods types (and ANYONE from MAiINE qualifies!) always do that! Even broke roof shingles can be reused, then you don't have to split more of them!
You know how to use a shingle brake? I do!
Paul

Born in MAINE, living in Exile (Lompoc, CA)
Old_Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #114

Trailer:
Someone on the teardrop forum has bought Timbren axle-less units and maybe folks here might like to see what the high ground clearance type looks like:

Attached Thumbnails
timbren.jpg  

Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #115

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Washington
I just installed the 2000lb universal kit by timbren. On my 1977 scamp 13 . It actually has suspension now! It raised the scamp quite abit. Which is exactly what the trailer needed. I'll try to post pics soon.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #116

Name: Oscar
Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
Timbren does not rock

Nothing but good three years washboard road miles. We blast thru RR crossings/topes. No parked rocknroll without stabilizers. Tire wear better. Not a paid ad -- Timbren folks never made me feel I was not welcomed on the phone. p.s. they speak Canadian :}
Offroad washboard best axle?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 AM   #117

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Princess Auto also sells a similar set up. I guess brackets would have to be welded to the frame for them to work but it might be cheaper than a complete new axle
Jan
Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #118

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
I certainly like the idea, but considering how my old axle was welded on to my lace-like frame, I can't help but think it was designed as a structural element. Instead of being able to distribute twist and torque across the entire frame structure, with this style it would have been concentrated in an area about a foot long. I will just stick with a bracketed solid axle.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #119

Washington
Well sure, I put the cross bar that connects the two independent suspensions. It's a 2*2*1/4 square tubing. And actually cut off the spindles of the original axel, put a plug in it, welded it closed. So it also supports the frame as a welded in support. So it has two cross supports connecting the frame. raised the scamp 6 inches since the timbren system mounts as a trailing atm set-up on the bottom of the frame. Good stuff.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #120

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If I remember correctly the axleless suspensions have a square tube that is intended to weld in a carry through to stiffen the Assembly if you don't have enough stiffness in the frame rails.
That stiffness or resistance to twisting is the limiting factor especially on the relatively light frames rails on the typical fiberglass trailer made with an axle from the factory.
Since resisting the twist would require some sort of reinforcement (usually a beam from one side to the other) there would be little difference in that and the axle.
Of course that beam could be higher than the axle, but in the case of the Scamp there is a floor in the way.
With the welded in axle on the Scamp it acts as a reinforcement for the frame.
All of that being said it's all a matter of what you are looking for as I changed my Scamp axle to the Flexiride unit with the adjustable and replaceable trailing arms so that I could change ride height and had it built for 3000 lb load instead of 3500 for smoother ride.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #121

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
Well done! You should be able to take that Scamp ANYWHERE with that kind of lift. Please post some pictures of the assembled setup as well as a shot of the camper with the extra lift. So many members like to get off-road" and the extra lift would make it so much easier.

Believe me... I stared at that Timbren setup for a long time, but it was just more cost effective for me to go with a standard axle. The only time I go off road is when I pull in my driveway.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #122

Washington
I guess I really didn't check the price of a replacement axle. But this set up was 450 for the axel and then install. Had a friend weld it in and add some more reinforcement. So it seemed like a good price. I thought that the other axle was like 900 to 1200 alone. Install was 500. So all in at 950.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #123

Florida
I think that I remember that the 3500 lb Flexiride axle with the adjustment for 3000 no extra charge when it was made was around $550 plus freight freight with self adjusting brakes.
The carry through square tube is 3" so that would be the total added material in the middle of the floor.
As I see it the difference in the center clearance would be that 3" and the overall clearance would depend on the angle of the trailing arms as installed.
However ground clearance was not an issue for me, but rather not really knowing the ride height of the trailer with the larger wheels and tires I installed at the rebuild time.
For rough service I would be more concerned with the twisting flex on the side rails of the scamp.
These older scamps used light tubing for the frames and need all of the strength of the you can get.
The loads are the wheel offset from the frame X 1/2 the total weight of the trailer plus the impact loading. With the standard axle the loads are bending loads on the main cross beam and they are designed to transfer that load and carry the trailer weight on the beam.
My thoughts are that the stresses might well break out the weldments on the frame to suspension connections.
You might want to keep a good look out on this area.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #124

Washington
I''ll check the stress points for sure, but the original owner put in some 1 1/2 *3 rectangle tubing under the existing frame for the scamp. So in effect making a subframe that is welded to the original, and cross braced at the front and rear, of the scamp, as well as the through bar in the timbren system. So, only time will tell how she holds up. Just wanted to give a little hope to the folks that want to try something new. And use a different product on the scamp.

When I was looking for the new axel there were many people looking at the timbren system. This was a few years ago, and I now just got around to install. Anyway if anyone wants to give it a go, let me tell you it will work, but for a longer term quality test, well........you'll have to wait! And see!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #125

Florida
What that extended height of the frame does is make the twisting moment larger.
With an additional 3" depth, if it so not side braced to take the twisting loads. will increase the stress on the frame, not reduce it.
The added square tubing will increase the bending moment fore and aft, but not appreciable affect the loads from the wheels not being directly under the frame.
Think of that distance as an added lever bending the bottom of the frame outwards.
If the intent is to improve the travel over rough "Roads" and improve ground clearance I would suggest that since there is a cross-brace that it be installed between the pivot points of the "Axles and have a triangulated brace from the added three inch square tube and also that the ends of the square tubes be welded closed to increase the strength of the assembly.
Think of the loads from the trailer and the bouncing being applies at the axle x the distance to the pivot point as a pry bar twisting the unit.
This twisting might be many times the weight of the entire trailer is extreme conditions which could be envisioned on the rough trails you suggest.
The 1977 Scamp would have thin wall tubing and it might be difficult welding to it without producing stress risers and weak points.
If I were you I would consider adding bracing to relieve the twisting loads on the frame and if they are added as triangulating braces to a cross bar that might be 3" square you would keep most of the center clearance you have now.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #126

Washington
It is braced in front and in the rear, going the width of the trailer. And there is a gusset welded to the timbren mount points. So the original frame is parallel tubing going the length of the trailer. Now there is two braces going perpendicular to that at the front and rear to make a # looking frame. Should be plenty strong for what it is. Like I said time and use will tell.