Axle-Less AxleLess Suspension - TIMBREN - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: Franck
Trailer: Westfalia
Quebec
Axle-Less AxleLess Suspension - TIMBREN

Part of my 'trailer education'.... Axle!!

I'm not too impressed with what modern production does with anything suspension related. Torsion bar, leaf spring..... This seems so old and rudimentary. My first initial wish was a pneumatic suspension but then, I came across the Timbren axle-less design. VERY attractive.... to the point I was sure to find some opinion on this very forum. I didn't find anything.

- If this has been debated on other thread, could you please direct me?
- If this is new, then I would love to hear your point of views (regardless of cost for now!)

An important point : We live (and travel mostly) in Quebec where roads are pretty rough to put it mildly! My first utility trailer had basic torsion bar design and our trailer content was badly shaken. Then I bought an old East German model with a long travel horizontal suspension (photo). It made all the difference. I now carry our grocery in it (tomatoes... Bananas....!!). For me a good suspension is less stress on content and - for a camper- on overall structure, cabinets, door, etc.....
Hence the Timbren design.....
(it's available with the brake flange)

Thank you for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_spring_susp_02.jpg   Timbren_Axle-Less_brochure_a.jpg  

Timbren_Axle-Less_brochure_b.jpg  
Attached Files
franck2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
It looks interesting, although I suspect alignment could be difficult & the video is a bit misleading since the camera is attached to the trailer, making it look like a much smoother ride than it actually is - check the background...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had considered them for our Scamp 13' when I needed to replace our axle, but ended up purchasing a Flexi-ride so I could adjust the ride height of the trailer for times we will be really off road with our Jeep group.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"Old and Rudimentary" yep, that's about 99% of us and, for the most part, it still works just fine.

Small FGRV's are such a niche market that we are lucky to even have more than a few builders to choose from, much less try to find something outside the profit box.

On the Starcraft P'up my son and I are rebuilding, we are following the somewhat standard off-road prep. practices of flipping the axle and increasing tire size to make it more viable on the roads less travelled behind his Jeep Cherokee.

However, if you want to take your trailer off-road this might provide an answer, albeit requiring a possible redesign of the frame as well as ones bank account.

There are several offroad sites, where "suspension travel" is king, that deal with these issues as well as a forum in the pop-up trailer group, popupportal.com.

As for us, we just pack out tomatoes and eggs a little more carefully, it's a lot easier and much cheaper.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I like it- especially the ground clearance component. Could make a big difference for those of us that go off-road. But maybe not so much on trailers with a lot of other stuff on the underbelly (black pipes etc.)

The price and do-it-yourself potential is most intriguing, too: a 3500 pounder is only $540.00 here.

Puttin' in my files....

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Quebec
Their website has some pdf available:
Advertising Material 2010

Nice constructive comments so far..... Cheers
Old 05-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #7

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Old and Rudimentary" yep, that's about 99% of us and, for the most part, it still works just fine.

Small FGRV's are such a niche market that we are lucky to even have more than a few builders to choose from, much less try to find something outside the profit box.

On the Starcraft P'up my son and I are rebuilding, we are following the somewhat standard off-road prep. practices of flipping the axle and increasing tire size to make it more viable on the roads less travelled behind his Jeep Cherokee.

However, if you want to take your trailer off-road this might provide an answer, albeit requiring a possible redesign of the frame as well as ones bank account.

There are several offroad sites, where "suspension travel" is king, that deal with these issues as well as a forum in the pop-up trailer group, popupportal.com.

As for us, we just pack out tomatoes and eggs a little more carefully, it's a lot easier and much cheaper.
Off road isn't an option for us. It's the overall road condition here, potholes, cracks you name it. The smoothest option is required here, believe me!!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to bring up "Old and Rudimentary" again (but I will anyway), but don't U-Hauls use a similar system of no axle suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franck2cv View Post
Off road isn't an option for us. It's the overall road condition here, potholes, cracks you name it. The smoothest option is required here, believe me!!
I understand, sorta like intown Los Angeles, the city with the worst streets in America.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interesting alternative. With no axle between sides, it would put a strong moment (twist) on the frame rail, so one would need to have a tubular frame member to resist that twisting action.

I wonder if the bushing and rubber spring are easily replaceable.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #10

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Off road isn't an option for us. It's the overall road condition here, potholes, cracks you name it. The smoothest option is required here, believe me!!"

I understand, sorta like intown Los Angeles, the city with the worst streets in America.
Really.... And they can't blame the winter climate in California !!!!
Is that City streets only or country road are to blame as well 'cause the problem here is pretty much across the whole province!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #11

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Interesting alternative. With no axle between sides, it would put a strong moment (twist) on the frame rail, so one would need to have a tubular frame member to resist that twisting action.

I wonder if the bushing and rubber spring are easily replaceable.
There's a 'female' square section meant to receive a beam to prevent side stress whilst cornering.

And yes, one of the point I really like is that all the parts are easily replaceable.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
axle=less comparison

Etrailer has an article on axle less suspension, comparing it to traditional suspensions.

Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System - Straight Spindle Only - 3,500 lbs Timbren Trailer Suspension ASR3500S05

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
In case anyone's wondering (as I did) about brakes- this system can be purchased with electric brake hubs, too....about a hundred and twenty dollars more.

I've always intended to buy a Flexiride if my original "Rub-R-Ride" ever wears out- but I'm definitely intrigued by this new-to-me suspension type.

Thanks for the heads up, Franck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
I've looked at these for awhile now - but I've never found an independent review of the Timbren trailer suspensions. If anyone has seen one, please post it.

Thanks.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #15

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Etrailer has an article on axle less suspension, comparing it to traditional suspensions.

Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System - Straight Spindle Only - 3,500 lbs Timbren Trailer Suspension ASR3500S05
Very thorough! .... and positive when comparing against traditional* torsion axle

* replaces the former 'old & rudimentary'
Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #16

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Franck!

Francesca
You're welcome
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Very thorough! .... and positive when comparing against traditional* torsion axle

* replaces the former 'old & rudimentary'
Sadly, there are some inaccuracies in this "article". For example not all torsion suspensions require a cross beam (ie. torsion half-axles do not require a cross beam), and not all torsion axles "twist" the rubber.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #18

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The replaceable rubber spring looks to be an advantage over the enclosed torsion spring design as far as serviceability goes. As mentioned in above posts there is the issue of the trailer frame having to deal with the cantilevered load unless you add the tube cross member to handle those loads. That would in effect be adding an axle back into the axle less axle
Also as mentioned above you would have to deal with tricky alignment issues to get the trailer to track properly, since you have to deal with camber, and getting the wheel pointing perpendicular to the trailer axis.
Flexiride sells individual left and right stub axles for cases when a boat keel or V bottom would intersect a straight across axle, but I don't see an advantage when not required by interference issues.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Really.... And they can't blame the winter climate in California !!!!
Is that City streets only or country road are to blame as well 'cause the problem here is pretty much across the whole province!
Franck having spent time driving in many parts of your wonderful province as well as having put in a few miles in California and Arizona I would suggest they have you bet in regards to rough roads. I don't recall while driving in Quebec thinking the roads were any more rougher than those in BC. Can't say the same for California and Arizona though. They do indeed have some surprisingly rough riding freeways, as well as minor highways to the south of us.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Sadly, there are some inaccuracies in this "article". For example not all torsion suspensions require a cross beam (ie. torsion half-axles do not require a cross beam), and not all torsion axles "twist" the rubber.
Technically, then I would think it wouldn't be a torsion axle.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote