Axle-less trailer suspension system from Timbren - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SD
Utah
Axle-less trailer suspension system from Timbren

I have a 2003 16SD Scamp with an AL-KO axle welded to the frame. This is the one with all the problems of improper brackets, which I've since fixed but I still would like a different suspension system because; a) The current axle is very difficult to align properly, resulting in early tire failure and b) I want more ground clearance.

Surfing around on the internet I came across the Timbren axle-less suspension system at eTrailer Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System w Electric Brake Hubs - Straight Spindle - 3,500 lbs Timbren Trailer Axles A35RS545E

Does anyone have any experience with this product?
UtahPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No experience, but have you seen this thread?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ren-58071.html

Back in December I saw an ad on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com for a tricked-out-for-serious-off-roading Scamp 5er in Hurricane, UT. Unfortunately, the ad seems to have been taken down without selling (it's not in the sales or sold sections, anyway). I believe it used the Timbren suspension.

Apparently Utah is a good place for off-roading…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

Utah
Timbren axle-less suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
No experience, but have you seen this thread?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ren-58071.html

Back in December I saw an ad on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com for a tricked-out-for-serious-off-roading Scamp 5er in Hurricane, UT. Unfortunately, the ad seems to have been taken down without selling (it's not in the sales or sold sections, anyway). I believe it used the Timbren suspension.

Apparently Utah is a good place for off-loading…
I had not seen that thread, thanks. Unfortunately none of the threads on this subject have posts from someone who actually installed the system.

As to the tricked-out 5er in Hurricane, I did see that online - must have weighed a bunch with all that extra armour on it.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
I had not seen that thread, thanks. Unfortunately none of the threads on this subject have posts from someone who actually installed the system.

As to the tricked-out 5er in Hurricane, I did see that online - must have weighed a bunch with all that extra armour on it.
Maybe as much as this has been talked about, that should tell you something..... Every ones waiting for someone else to take a chance.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Should have said "off-roading"... darn auto-correct again...

I didn't read the whole thread, but the fact that apparently both then and now there don't seem to be any forum members using this system may be a kind of answer in itself.

Hope someone who knows more comes along soon!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Timbren axle-less suspension

According to the info at their site you would still need a cross member from one unit to the other. I don't really think any one would gain much over a conventional axel.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Look on some of the Aussie sites for ideas if off roading is your goal.
They have some innovative suspensions.
You will probably have to design and build your own if you want something much different.
I went with a Flexiride that has adjustable swing arms and the ride height can be adjusted. I also changed the wheel wells for more clearance for 14"wheels and tires. My goal is to get the ride height correct to match my VW Sportwagen with the bigger setup.
I had little problem aligning the Flexiride. I used steel wire to set the distance from witness points on the axle to the hitch centerline. If the distances are the same then the axle has to be in the correct spot.
I would think it would be much more difficult to align two suspensions one on each side than one axle across the trailer. Probably the shell is not placed on the frame with any great precision either. What will count the the triangle formed by the wheel contact points and the hitch ball center. If you get this right then everything else should be good to go.
Some axles are adjusted for toe and camber by bending the cross tube, but I saw no evidence of this on my ALKO. Also the ALKO and it's "triangular" design would be difficult to modify by bending.
I think that Scamp lacks a little in the precision of assembly and you might be obsessing a little on this.
How much wear are you seeing now?
Perhaps one of the arms was bent by contact with a curb or something?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: IN THE MARKET
Ontario
axle-less by Timbren

check out this link and read the post by GREGB-00XJ.

should help answer some questions

Timbren axle-less trailing arm suspension?
Canadian traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Look on some of the Aussie sites for ideas if off roading is your goal. They have some innovative suspensions.

I went with a Flexiride that has adjustable swing arms and the ride height can be adjusted. I also changed the wheel wells for more clearance for 14"wheels and tires. My goal is to get the ride height correct to match my VW Sportwagen with the bigger setup.

I had little problem aligning the Flexiride. I used steel wire to set the distance from witness points on the axle to the hitch centerline. If the distances are the same then the axle has to be in the correct spot.
I would think it would be much more difficult to align two suspensions one on each side than one axle across the trailer.

Probably the shell is not placed on the frame with any great precision either. What will count the the triangle formed by the wheel contact points and the hitch ball center. If you get this right then everything else should be good to go.

Some axles are adjusted for toe and camber by bending the cross tube, but I saw no evidence of this on my ALKO. Also the ALKO and it's "triangular" design would be difficult to modify by bending.

I think that Scamp lacks a little in the precision of assembly and you might be obsessing a little on this. How much wear are you seeing now? Perhaps one of the arms was bent by contact with a curb or something?
All good info, thanks. In response to your comment and question - I don't have much in the way of misalignment issues since the alignment shop performed their magic, so if I wasn't also interested in getting a lift for more clearance and bigger wheels I would not be investigating a new axle solution.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
According to the info at their site you would still need a cross member from one unit to the other. I don't really think any one would gain much over a conventional axel.
Frank, I agree a cross member would be needed, which is why perhaps most people have chosen to stay with a conventional axle at 1/2 the cost. I was hoping to find someone who had experience with the Timbren axle-less solution and could address why it was worth the extra money.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What about trailers with "Springs"? Do you think the axle on those are support the frame? I dont see how.

I LIKE the idea of the axle-less. My first concern was alignment. But then I see how they use the tubing to bolt up against from the side and there's no chance for misalignment. I havent delved deeply into it...but what about the camber that Dexter puts on theirs? (leaning in at the bottom to compensate for loading) Would it even be necessary for this mount?

I have to agree with Bob....many are probably sitting back and waiting... I love innovative ideas.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian traveler View Post

Greg, that BB is down for maintenance; any chance you can copy the post you are referring to here? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #13

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian traveler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
Greg, that BB is down for maintenance; any chance you can copy the post you are referring to here? Thanks.
It's back up now and I can see the thread you're referring to. That's an interesting website for those into trailer-supported off-road venturing. I'm not that hard-core but it's nice to see that these Timbrels are beefy and compliant enough to deal with even those extreme applications. Thanks, this was helpful.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Washington
I have the axel-less system in my garage awaiting install, I went with the 2000# system. Need to get the trailer to the shop to do the work. The install instructions say you can install with the 2" tube through the axel, or weld a re-enforced gusset to the side and bolt and weld to the frame. I'm going to go with option one, tube through, and a support between the two sections of the frame on the scampi, to keep the flexing of the original frame to a min. Its going on a 1977 13
Lookabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Washington
I think that the rubber pieces in the axels themselves are replaceable. Making it easier to fix when they wear out instead of replacing the complete axle. We'll see.
Lookabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-67402.html
Recommended without reservation!
OscarD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp