Axle problem or what? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Axle problem or what?

I have a 2008 Scamp 13' that has the curb side tire more forward in the wheel well than the street side tire. It is less than 2" from hitting the front side of the wheel well. I called Scamp and they said it shouldn't be like that, but offered no explaination. One repair shop said the torsion arm of the axle was bent. I took it too Pace American (they make commercial trailers) and they said nothing was wrong with the axle, torsion bar or anything underneath. The trailer tracks well and there is no tire wear after approx. 3000 mi. Picture of curb and street side tire is attached.Attachment 31718
All thoughts appreciated.

Alice
Attached Thumbnails
CURBSIDE2.jpg   STREETSIDE.jpg  

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Could the axle be mounted further forward on one side than the other? How about if you measure from the axle join point to the tongue from either side and compare the measurements.

The axle is supposed to have an upward bend (in the center), but to my mind, it should be the same distance back from the tongue on both sides.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The wheel shouldn't be centered exactly in the wheel well on a trailing axle. When the wheel goes over a bump the wheel moves back and up. If it were centered, it MAY hit the back of the wheel well when moving backward.

I would think the wheel would be centered in the opening, but the wheel well itself is off centered. I think on some trailers that's the way it's manufacturered, but I don't think Scamp is one of those manufacturers...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Analysis

I do see a black edging on the right side opening and none on the left. Could a PO have done a trim job on the opening?

Maybe the RS opening is shortened in order to accomodate the door.

Looking on the Scamp site, the rs opening seems correct with the black edging. They don't have a LS view.

However, the first view of the gallery on the Scamp site does show the wheel close to the front of the opening.

Could there have been a frame bending accident that necessitated moving of the LS wheel in order to get it to track.

Have someone follow you and observe how the trailer tracks your TV.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Scamp
I have a 2009 and it looks the same as yours, I have logged many many miles this summer with no problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp001 (6).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	31736

Name:	scamp001 (5).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	31737

Name:	trailer 030a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	31738
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

Utah
Registry
Joe, it's nice to know that mine isn't the only one around like that. But why would Trenton at Scamp tell me it shouldn't be like that? It would be interesting to hear from others who own a 13' Scamp. If it's suppose to be like that, I'll quit worrying. So far it isn't touching the tire, but it seems awfully close. Seems like if I hit a bump it might move forward and touch.

Roger, maybe my picture didn't show the black trim well enough because of the black tire, but the trim is there. Joe's picture, and the first on on the Scamp site gallery photos show the tire being forward. Nothing done that would bend the frame. All highway driving. I've had someone follow me and they say it tracks well. You may be on to something with the door. The well opening on the LS is almost 2" wider than on the RS.

Raya L, I've measured as you suggested and all is good and fine. Same on both sides.

Donna D. Its good to know that when hitting a bump, the tire moves backward, I have plenty of room there.

I think the "problem" is the owner. If Joe's 2009 is like that, and the Scamp advertisement itself is like that, then that's the way it's suppose to be. But, I'd still like to hear from anyone else with a 13' Scamp too.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #7

Well it sounded to me like your original query was not because the wheels were backward or forward of center in the wheelwell, but because the two sides are different. Do I have that right?

Raya
Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #8

Utah
Registry
Raya.. My initial statement was that the curb side tire is more forward in the wheel well than the street side tire. Which makes one think that there is a problem with the axle, frame, or whatever. I've had contray opinions from repair people concerning what the problem is. But Joe's Scamp is the same way, and the pictures of the 13' Scamp on their websibe shows the same thing. I hope others on this site with a 13' Scamp will chime in on how their's are. Taking the measuements as you suggested re-inforced that the axle was welded square to the frame. After measuring the front to back distance of each wheel well I discovered the difference and the door on the RS would be reasonable to assume is the cause of that difference since that opening is smaller. So, I guess you could say that the two sides are different. At least the wheel wells.
Thanks for your input.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #9

Okay, I see, so the fiberglass wheel wells are in different positions on the body, or are different sizes (which end up amounting to the same thing). That would do it.

Seems rather odd that the fellow at Scamp would not just have said "Oh, yes, well that look results from the one wheelwell being longer than the other, but that does not mean the axle and frame have a problem necessarily" or some such.

Raya
Old 10-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Customers try to talk technical with me on the phone all the time. I've learnt over the years that unless they have a full understanding of the terminology used in the field it is usually better to say "I'd have to see what you are talking about to be sure". I've always said translating the technical into something the customer actually understands is the hardest part of my job.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #11

I hear you Roy; I do some of the same thing in my job, and it is not usually a good idea to make specific diagnoses over the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I have a 2008 Scamp 13' that has the curb side tire more forward in the wheel well than the street side tire. It is less than 2" from hitting the front side of the wheel well. I called Scamp and they said it shouldn't be like that, but offered no explaination.
And yet, that doesn't seem quite the same to me as Scamp saying that something should not be like how the customer is describing, when that IS how it should be (according to many other Scamp owners).

I could see if they said "Well, yes, you might think the axle is crooked, and there may be a problem - we would have to see it to be sure - but on the other hand this also very well may be an optical illusion because the left and right wheelwell are made slightly different from each other at the factory, so they all look like this, even when they are fine."

The latter explanation doesn't seem very technical to me (vs. say, getting into frame geometery or moduli of elasticity for metal or something).

Unless of course the Scamp should not be like that; in which case Scamp's response makes sense and there is a problem.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I hear you Raya, but most companies don't put their best people on the front lines.

When I have to deal with Micro$oft or my ISP or Telephone provider for support issues, sometimes it gets to the point where I have to request my call get transfered to a level 2 or higher to get the responses I need.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I think the wheel cutouts are different to accommodate the door. I just replaces my axle on my 75 Surfside and the new one had slots for for a minor adjustment but only a half inch or so.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #14

Utah
Registry
Well everyone, it appears like someone was trying to rip me off. After several replies from people who own 13' Scamps, the set up is normal. Joe's pictures and reference to the Scamp website with the picture gallery eased my mind greatly. Was in contact again with Scamp, and they also reviewed everything and said there was nothing wrong.

I appreaciate all who replied and your help.
Alice