Axle Replacement Questions - Boler 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just as a follow up, I sent the following question to Dexter axle engineering:

Quote:
Older fiberglass campers,like Boler, have a torsion axle mounted in a leading configuration. If this axle is replaced, maintaining a leading arm configuration, can brakes be added at this time? Is adding brakes to a leading arm torsion axle inherently an issue? Thanks.
The answer from Dexter:

Quote:
We do not recommend the leading arm application. After the axle is installed and if it has a brake flange you could add brakes. The brakes don't care if it is a trailing or leading arm. Rick Kapsa | Product Manager Dexter Axle - Company Headquarters
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #22

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I'm 'this guy'. After discovering that my original leading arm Al-Ko(?) axle on my '85 Scamp 13 had absolutely no flex in the torsion arms (& was 'permanently' setting at approx 15-20* up angle) I began looking for a replacement axle. Talked to 'engineering' at Dexter about the leading arm configuration with brakes. He told me that Dexter no longer mfg's leading arm axles as a standard offering but they would mfg it to my specs (w/brakes) & he'd have no hesitation using such on a 1000/2000# trailer.

Thanks "this guy." I am in the same position you were before your axle was replaced. I'm sitting at about 15* up. Its good to know that swapping out the existing axle with a new one (with brakes) is an acceptable option. It certainly does make life easier to do a simple swap out.

This conversation has come full circle, in a meaningful way. It probably is appropriate to have a discussion about emergency braking experiences, but that is one for a new thread.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #23

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Thanks "this guy." I am in the same position you were before your axle was replaced. I'm sitting at about 15* up. Its good to know that swapping out the existing axle with a new one (with brakes) is an acceptable option. It certainly does make life easier to do a simple swap out.

This conversation has come full circle, in a meaningful way. It probably is appropriate to have a discussion about emergency braking experiences, but that is one for a new thread.

Derek
Since you've already been able to 'un-bolt' your original axle from the chassis, you should have no problem installing a new one at the same location. My original axle was welded to the Scamp chassis so I just 'torched' off the old one at the 'L' of the mounting bracket, leaving the heavier steel portion to weld my new mounting kit to so I could bolt on the new axle. Worked well for me. Pix are in post # 21 of this thread - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-52859.html
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #24

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
I am looking for a new axle for my Boler 13. The old axle was bolted on to the frame. I was able to get the bolts loose without any significant drama. I expected at least one of the bolts to be rusted solid, but they all came apart without any problems. My electric impact wrench was able to take these apart with minimal effort. The frame has been removed from the trailer, and now the axle has been removed from the frame. Now its time to find a new axle. The old axle sags, and my tow vehicle requires brakes (which the old axle does not have). Since the old axle was bolted on, I should be able to get something that matches and bolt it together.

I have the order from Cerka, who appears to be the local Dexter supplier. No firm decisions have been made yet. I do have a couple questions.
http://www.cerka.ca/Torflex_order_form.pdf

I notice that the axle pictured on Paul Neumeister's website have a bend at the center of the main shaft of the axle. My axle had a straight main shaft. What is the advantage to the bend?
Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister

What is the correct start angle for the arm? My old axle was saggy enough that I don't trust using it to the old axle.

I plan to add electric brakes this time. Does this typically create any clearance issues?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?
Derek

What is needed depends: Yes brakes are a great idea for any load over 500 lbs. (personal belief)
But I do believe based on your post you live in Ontario and the MTO has a requirement that if the trailer is over 3500 lbs. (not a problem) or (trailer weight is 50% or more of the tow vehicle weight brakes are a requirement)

As a result our Corolla needs trailer brakes to pull our boler not shure of the weight of a 13' loaded or the weight of your tow vehicle.

Maybe frame needs a little work
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #25

Ontario
Registry
Have cut and pasted this info from the MTO web site in the past on this site, did my research as we pull with a car not a truck.
Hope this helps
Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #26

Ontario
Registry
P.S. Cute dog
and the people at fiberglassRv are a great group to find helpful hints
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #27

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
What is needed depends: Yes brakes are a great idea for any load over 500 lbs. (personal belief)
But I do believe based on your post you live in Ontario and the MTO has a requirement that if the trailer is over 3500 lbs. (not a problem) or (trailer weight is 50% or more of the tow vehicle weight brakes are a requirement)

As a result our Corolla needs trailer brakes to pull our boler not shure of the weight of a 13' loaded or the weight of your tow vehicle.

Maybe frame needs a little work
In our case, our Subaru recommends brakes for trailers over 1000lbs. The vehicle itself is 4150lbs. Our adding of breaks was based on vehicle manufacturer recommendations. I wont know the true weight of the trailer until I have my restoration complete, but 2000lbs appears to be typical. It appears that the manufacturer recommendations are more conservative then the MTO requirements.

I have the frame out, and cleaned up. All it needed was some cleanup of surface rust and a repaint. The metal and welds all looked good. I've read some nightmare stories about frames with sloppy build quality and rot. I was lucky. The axle is shot, and I need brakes anyway. Even there I got lucky because the old axle was bolted on.

Derek
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #28

Ontario
Registry
Some use surge brakes it would save on the need for a battery. Electric brakes require a breakaway safety switch by law in Ontario you would need a battery on the trailer to make this work

Surge brakes would be fine for a small light trailer. Bolers very in weight even when same size not just due to cargo and equipment; think it may be due to variations like fiberglass thickness, frame thickness (many replaced) built at Earlton, or other location. Ours says the weight is including propane and fresh water full on closet door. Also it lists items we do not have? but seem to not have been removed. 17’ units run at 2150 to 2550 then add gear we run light no water very little inside e.g. no microwave.

Only a scale will tell for sure we have one at the local recycle location you may find them at many other locations but not a problem with your tv.

Like the Electric brake type best though no push at first braking to activate them; as we can get freaky weather in Canada had to deal with snow one year up north in August. Pardon the 4 letter word.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #29

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Some use surge brakes it would save on the need for a battery. Electric brakes require a breakaway safety switch by law in Ontario you would need a battery on the trailer to make this work

Only a scale will tell for sure we have one at the local recycle location you may find them at many other locations but not a problem with your tv.

Like the Electric brake type best though no push at first braking to activate them; as we can get freaky weather in Canada had to deal with snow one year up north in August. Pardon the 4 letter word.
A break away switch is probably a good idea regardless. I hadn't decided if I was going to add one, but its not an expensive choice if a battery is already there.

I have wondered if this frame is original. There is no evidence of modification, but it is in good shape and the current axle was bolted on. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Derek

Tags
axle, boler