Back Up Camera for Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Back Up Camera for Trailer

I'm thinking of adding a back up camera to my trailer. Has anyone installed the Boyo (or similar) license plate camera? Pros? Cons? Other suggestions?
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My new FJ came with one installed, great for solo hitching!! License plate may be too low, mine is about tailgate height.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #3

Virginia
Registry
I'm installing a Brand Motion backup camera for my F150. The monitor is in the rear view mirror. Cool! But I need a camera for my trailer ...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
You mean for the rear of the trailer, not the rear of your tow vehicle? Jon Vermyle has that set up over on the Escape forum, had Reace wire in the camera wire during construction and a special hookup for the camera plug between the two.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

Virginia
Registry
Yep, sorry for the confusion. I meant a backup camera for the back of the trailer.

I remember now that Jon Vermyle has the Voyager system. I was thinking about the license plate camera (cheaper). BTW, where is the license plate on the Escape 19'?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
on the street side lower rear, maybe 12" up from bumper, but under the tail lights. Possibly you can mount one higher, perhaps suction install inside on the rear trailer window for better viewing coverage. You would need to tell Escape to run a wire from the front dinette back to the rear window, do not know type of wire, but at least it would be pre-wired.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Here is what I posted at the Escape Forum:

I played with a wireless back up camera & had problems with signal strength & interference. When I bought my trailer I sent Reace a back up camera system from Rear View Safety. The camera is mounted above the rear window & has been useful as a rear view mirror. I have not found it as useful for pulling into a campground space - the view is too wide for accurate backing. It is great if you have to back up at a gas station, etc since you can check what is behind you. Also good for seeing the idiots that tailgate inside the view of your rear view mirrors & for pulling in when passing.

I purchased a 2 camera system (although mine came with a 5" monitor and doesn't seem to still be available) & mounted the other on the back of the RAV4. Great for hitching. The kit included a plug/cable system to go between the trailer & tow vehicle. Overall, I/m very happy with the system.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I have struggled with this for a few years, but I may have hit on the answer. A system such as suggested by Jon seems to work. I purchased one some years ago and installed it in our Honda Ody, wired so that I could switch from the camera behind the car to the one behind the trailer. It did the job.

For me the Achilles heel became clear when the screen was stolen, probably because the "gentleman" thought it was a GPS. I replaced it but never got the slightly different model to work properly. By that time I had realized that such a screen is a bait for thieves.

We recently changed tow vehicle, and I have now reinstalled the unit. The difference is that the car already has a backup camera, so the screen is only up when we tow the trailer. Lessens the theft chance.

Fortunately the compartment the screen now gets put into was already there on the car, so the installation is fairly neat and very easy to empty and close.

The pictures illustrate what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Compartment, closed.jpg   Empty compartment.jpg  

Compartment with screen holder.jpg   Screen in place 2.jpg  

Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Back up Camera

This is the one that I bought off of ebay. Maybe a bit of overkill but boy was it nice. I left it on my other camper. Should have taken it off in retrospect. I can send the link via private mail as one time I posted a link and guess I wasnt supposed to? Night vision, autoback up start up. etc etc.
Attached Thumbnails
back up camera.JPG  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft
Good morning Jon, I have a question about what you said about backing up into a campsite and that the camera was too wide for that. I was going to get the same system as yours and what I need it for is backing into our driveway which has a wall to watch out for on the drivers side but I live on a small 1 way street so I wanted the camera to be able to see how far the camper is from the wall. I also wanted to use it to back into campsites when it is dark because we don't get out of work till 8:00 pm. As long as I can see the road I will be ok. Would it work for that?

Mark
mconnorsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #11

Texas
As an adjunct and possibility you can add sensor alerts with a 1 foot to 7 foot range indicator. They are on my wish list.
I am only showing this site as one example I dont own it or sell anything.

Engineered Auto Devices: Backup sensors, parking sensors, car backup safety
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #12

Registry
As to "seeing" in the dark, the camera comes with a set of IR LEDs that provide quite a bit of light. I still feel it is not ideal for backing other than to insure that no one is behind you. The wide angle makes it difficult to judge distances (although I do find it useful for determining how close you are to something directly behind you). Still, it is better than nothing, and a useful addition when combined with extended rear view mirrors.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Are these systems useful as rear view cameras while towing or are they only used for backing up?
Eric Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #14

Texas
The one that I showed a picture of I kept on all the time and could watch traffic coming up behind me. Took me an hour or so the train my eyes or brain for the new pictorial relationship but after that it was a pleasure to watch or really peripherally glance at it. It did aide at night with the IR and as I had it angled down towards my back bumper hitch and I could watch it clearly (although the picture was a slight concave or fish eye view but not enough be distracting). Just my opinions. I think specs called for 26 feet at night but I dont think it truly was that much but it was enough with that eery greenish light to do the job.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #15

Registry
I also leave mine on all the time & can switch between the trailer camera & the one on the rear of the RAV4 (great for hooking up). I mounted my monitor on the dash in the left most corner - it is easy to track to it as your eyes head for the outside rear view mirrors. I find my set up most useful as a rear view mirror while driving, checking behind the trailer if I have to back up in a gas station, etc, and to know when I'm clear when passing (not that I do much of that since I tow at 57MPH!)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #16

Thanks Mike

Mark
Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #17

Thanks Jon

Mark