Backing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #15

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
After 35 years in the trucking business, driving all sorts of trailer configurations, I found length of trailer not to be a major factor in the degree of difficulty backing up. More important was the axle location. If the trailer axle is near the rear of the trailer steering adjustments of the power unit are reflected slowly at the rear of the unit. If the axle is near the center of the trailer, steering adjustments are exaggerated by the center pivot point.
Barrie

Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
After 35 years in the trucking business, driving all sorts of trailer configurations, I found length of trailer not to be a major factor in the degree of difficulty backing up. More important was the axle location. If the trailer axle is near the rear of the trailer steering adjustments of the power unit are reflected slowly at the rear of the unit. If the axle is near the center of the trailer, steering adjustments are exaggerated by the center pivot point.
Barrie
The only thing that matters is the distance between the hitch ball and the trailer axle. The amount that the trailer sticks out in back of the axle can not have an effect since it is not touching the ground.

If there are two trailers, one with the wheels at the back and one with the wheels in the center, and both have the same distance from hitch to axle, they will be equally easy or difficult to back up. The one with the wheels at the center may have the back end swing further side to side for the same amount of tow vehicle steering, but that does not affect the trailer axle location, it is only the back end of the trailer that has the exaggerated adjustment, not the entire trailer.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #17

New Brunswick
LOL... Really? The ease or difficulty of backing, for me, has more to do with how much or how little I have to turn the wheel when reversing. When the axle is in the middle of the trailer, the rear end swing is far more pronounced than when the axle is in the rear nearer the bumper. Of course, 35 years of backing down alleyways and between parked trailers to ease into a loading dock leave me ill equipped to offer an opinion relative to the lofty world of reversing 13' travel trailers.... When reversing a trailer into a tight spot, you must stick the back end in first and keep it away from objects, wether or not that part of the trailer is touching the ground or not!
Barrie
Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Anyone who doesn't think length has anything to do with backing up should try backing up my lawn roller behind my riding lawn mower. One slight turn and the thing is practically parked in your lap.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
When reversing a trailer into a tight spot, you must stick the back end in first and keep it away from objects, wether or not that part of the trailer is touching the ground or not!
Barrie
you forgot one part your simple rule of backing up - the part about backing right on over the person standing in your totally blind spot waving their hands in all sorts of strange ways!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #20

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
it's a piece of cake for me! seriously. and i often have it with a cup of tea---relaxing at the picnic table, watching dennis situate the trailer---solo---because i am loathe to attempt it if anyone is watching. and since he does such an exceptional job, with zero stress, i leave it to him! and yes, that DOES make me a chicken.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #21

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I'm right there with ya, Theresa! I'm loathing the trip this weekend to the tire shop for new tires. I'm afraid they're gonna ask me to back it in somewhere for them to work on it!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #22

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Not that this helps much, but we have a boat and trailer that we occasionally put in a large garage bay to work on, there is a tight turn into the garage, which makes it just about impossible to back in. We put a hitch on the front of our tractor and use that to guide it in, and it is WAY easier with that setup. Manly because the steering wheels are very close to the hitch, so you get instant results from steering input. It is also a little more intuitive when moving forward.

Front mounted hitches are available for many trucks. If you have a difficult spot that you have to maneuver a trailer into, that might be just the ticket!

I have been towing campers since I was 16... And driving tractors with various implements longer an that. I usually don't have a problem with trailers... But that garage has a 90 degree turn into the door. It is physically impossible to back it in (or pull it out) with our diesel van.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
you forgot one part your simple rule of backing up - the part about backing right on over the person standing in your totally blind spot waving their hands in all sorts of strange ways!
I use these hand signals slightly adapted...

Name:   CRANE-418_150.gif
Views: 106
Size:  2.4 KB
STOP!

Name:   CRANE-436_150.gif
Views: 98
Go away from me

Name:   CRANE-432_150.gif
Views: 97
Size:  2.8 KB
Come toward me: wheels straight

Name:   CRANE-433_150.gif
Views: 97
Come toward me: turning Left

Name:   CRANE-437_150.gif
Come toward me: turning right

Name:   CRANE-462_150.gif
Size:  2.6 KB
There's this much room before you hit something
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I'm right there with ya, Theresa! I'm loathing the trip this weekend to the tire shop for new tires. I'm afraid they're gonna ask me to back it in somewhere for them to work on it!

LOL Ok girls listen up! Heres the trick. Turn your ears off so you are not listening to any of the guys (or anyone else for that matter) around telling you to turn the wheel this way or that way or blubbbbbbbb. Then put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and very slowly turn the wheel with your hand going in the direction you want the trailer to go. start out slow.

Simple. TRUST me!! Practise it an empty parking lot. You two could be pros!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #25

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL... We rarely had the chance. Most times when we're backing up a big rig there is no one around. Even if there were, most understand, we probably know what we're doing and don't dare try to 'assist' us. There are so many blind spots. Of course, there are always going to be those that think they can do a better job backing up a trailer... and most of those have never done it themselves.. LOL
Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #26

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
my wife would never wear this.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Melissab,
When I took mine in to get new valve stems installed they just had me pull around back and they brought a jack out and did the work outside.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #28

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I prefer the get within 20 feet of where I want the Scamp & then unhook from hitch & move by muscle method.