Backing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Backing

I've always been told that the longer a trailer is, the easier it is to back up because it reacts more slowly to a direction change. We have a 31 ft Kodiak and now a 17 ft Egg Camper. I find the Egg Camper to be both faster and easier to back it into wherever I want it. I find the faster reaction a lot easier. I guess different strokes for different folks.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #2

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
IMHO longer is easier to back up IF you need to go (back) long way on a straight or gentle curves.
Shorter is MUCH more manoeuvrable and that helps to negotiate sharp turns BUT only for the people who know how to back up. For many, it will be easier to learn with a long trailer and for others, backing up will forever remain a mystery ...
Old 06-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I have a portable welder that is a PIA to back up. Its only about 8 feet long. My 17' boat trailer is the easiest. Dual axles I find really slow the reaction down over single axles.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Amplitude of steering correction has everything to do with the difficulties of backing a short utility trailer and a damn good recon of the space you want to put it in and the ability to recognize that space filled with a large opaque object as a mirror image has everything to do with the difficulties of backing a big chunk of white plastic. Mostly I think backing is simplified if you treat the rear of your trailer as you would the rear of vehicle when backing into parallel parking--to wit-- while still moving forward get the aft end in the same relationship to the place of repose every time and the moves to back it in will be the same everytime. Certainly complicated by narrow streets and narrower driveways where corners can't be cut. Also something strange about a coupler pivot aft of the rear axle of the TV.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #5

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Amplitude of steering correction ...... recognize that space filled with a large opaque object ... image has everything to do with the difficulties ...... while still moving forward get the aft end ... complicated by narrow ... coupler pivot aft ...
To be honest... backing up with a trailer is easy for me. Well, make it "was". It was to the moment I read your post. Now, I'm so confused that I'll be scared to do it
Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
hehe dont you luv it when people helping you back up make it harder than it should be! I always make a mess of it when I have people telling me to turn my wheels this way or that way and I actually listen to them.

Simple rule for me is to put your hand on the bottom half of the wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Mostly I think backing is simplified if you treat the rear of your trailer as you would the rear of vehicle when backing into parallel parking--to wit-- while still moving forward get the aft end in the same relationship to the place of repose every time and the moves to back it in will be the same everytime. Certainly complicated by narrow streets and narrower driveways where corners can't be cut. Also something strange about a coupler pivot aft of the rear axle of the TV.
I'm with Andrew!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You girls need to get over yourselves!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I probably would get...oh 30 miles to the gallon with my truck, but backing up, pulling forward, backing up, pulling forward when trying to park or hitch up makes the MPG go way down That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is a rule of thumb that the difficulty you have backing up a trailer is in direct proportion to the number of people who are watching you do it.

Pulling into a horse show with a bunch of people around and trying to wedge my trailer into a giant available space? Impossible.

Parallel parking the Burro into my 20 foot spot at the storage facility where nobody's ever around? Piece of cake!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink I do it s-l-o-w-l-y

I do pretty well backing the Fiber Stream, but I cannot "think" about doing it; I gotta "feel" it... and ... become one with the trailer.

oooommmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
A couple of thoughts

1. A longer trailer with a short-wheelbase TV is the easiest - think semi. My brother could back his semi trailer through the eye of a needle. I towed with a full size blazer for a while and could a longer trailer (27' - 35') just about anywhere.

2. Helpers - it depends on who they are. My wife cannot talk me into a tight spot, or even a large one. But, I can talk her in without a problem. So when we get to a spot, we often switch drivers. Helps keep peace in the family for the rest of the evening.

BTW, she took a class for launching boats which included backing.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I'm with Andrew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
hehe dont you luv it when people helping you back up make it harder than it should be! .
I'm with you Carol! I hate it when someone tells me HOW to back up (especially when that person doesn't even know how to back trailers). I've been backing trailers almost as long as I've had my driver's license, with the Scamp I simply need a second set of eyes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a back-up camera on the trailer (or any other device)?
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
I'm with you Carol! I hate it when someone tells me HOW to back up (especially when that person doesn't even know how to back trailers). I've been backing trailers almost as long as I've had my driver's license, with the Scamp I simply need a second set of eyes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a back-up camera on the trailer (or any other device)?
My wife gave me a wireless back-up camera on a license plate frame a year or so ago for Christmas. The angle of the frame on our VW Eurovan gives me a picture at a slight angle upwards, so I can't see the hitch directly. However, I supplement the camera with the telescoping yellow balls (available at Cabela's, Camping World WalMart, etc.) and I can get the ball to within about 1-2 inches of the hitch coupling every time. I line up the stems on the extended yellow balls until they are in line and just about touching.

As to other backing (like into a camping spot), the wireless signal was right at the limit of its strength if I put the camera/frame on the trailer license plate. That's why I put the camera on the TV rather than the trailer. I scout out the spot and pick out an end reference point (water hookup, tree, picnic table, etc.) and just stay with it in sight as I go back.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
After 35 years in the trucking business, driving all sorts of trailer configurations, I found length of trailer not to be a major factor in the degree of difficulty backing up. More important was the axle location. If the trailer axle is near the rear of the trailer steering adjustments of the power unit are reflected slowly at the rear of the unit. If the axle is near the center of the trailer, steering adjustments are exaggerated by the center pivot point.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
After 35 years in the trucking business, driving all sorts of trailer configurations, I found length of trailer not to be a major factor in the degree of difficulty backing up. More important was the axle location. If the trailer axle is near the rear of the trailer steering adjustments of the power unit are reflected slowly at the rear of the unit. If the axle is near the center of the trailer, steering adjustments are exaggerated by the center pivot point.
Barrie
The only thing that matters is the distance between the hitch ball and the trailer axle. The amount that the trailer sticks out in back of the axle can not have an effect since it is not touching the ground.

If there are two trailers, one with the wheels at the back and one with the wheels in the center, and both have the same distance from hitch to axle, they will be equally easy or difficult to back up. The one with the wheels at the center may have the back end swing further side to side for the same amount of tow vehicle steering, but that does not affect the trailer axle location, it is only the back end of the trailer that has the exaggerated adjustment, not the entire trailer.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
LOL... Really? The ease or difficulty of backing, for me, has more to do with how much or how little I have to turn the wheel when reversing. When the axle is in the middle of the trailer, the rear end swing is far more pronounced than when the axle is in the rear nearer the bumper. Of course, 35 years of backing down alleyways and between parked trailers to ease into a loading dock leave me ill equipped to offer an opinion relative to the lofty world of reversing 13' travel trailers.... When reversing a trailer into a tight spot, you must stick the back end in first and keep it away from objects, wether or not that part of the trailer is touching the ground or not!
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Anyone who doesn't think length has anything to do with backing up should try backing up my lawn roller behind my riding lawn mower. One slight turn and the thing is practically parked in your lap.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
When reversing a trailer into a tight spot, you must stick the back end in first and keep it away from objects, wether or not that part of the trailer is touching the ground or not!
Barrie
you forgot one part your simple rule of backing up - the part about backing right on over the person standing in your totally blind spot waving their hands in all sorts of strange ways!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #20

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
it's a piece of cake for me! seriously. and i often have it with a cup of tea---relaxing at the picnic table, watching dennis situate the trailer---solo---because i am loathe to attempt it if anyone is watching. and since he does such an exceptional job, with zero stress, i leave it to him! and yes, that DOES make me a chicken.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote