Backing up from front of tug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Backing up from front of tug

Hi everybody: I currently own a scamp 5ver and a Toyota Tundra. I will be picking up an Escape 21 Oct 28 in Chillawack BC. I will be visiting a brother in Arcata Ca who has a long (1/2 mile) curvy and very steep driveway. Has anyone connected a tag along to the front of their vehicle and driven in looking at the trailer through the windshield? I already have a receiver on the front of the Toyota and am looking at an extension to connect the brakes. any thoughts or actual experience would be appreciated. By the way the Escape will also have a backup camera
laird allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Stand about eight feet in front of a wall. A white one is best.
What do you see?
If you use your extension mirrors, you will see down the side of the trailer.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm unclear what advantage you see in doing this. Please explain. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You will need the brakes connetted should you decide to drive backword on the highway.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Floyd, I believe the OP is switching to an Escape 21, so I assume that means a bumper pull. Otherwise the part about pushing it up using a receiver on the front of the truck doesn't make sense.

Half a mile up a steep curving hill? Paved or gravel? How wide? Overhanging obstructions? With a brand-new 21' trailer? Have you done it before with the Scamp 5er? A half-mile driveway and there isn't enough space at the end to turn around?

Not I! Forward or backward.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Floyd, I believe the OP is switching to an Escape 21, so I assume that means a bumper pull. Otherwise the part about pushing it up using a receiver on the front of the truck doesn't make sense.

Half a mile up a steep curving hill? Paved or gravel? How wide? Overhanging obstructions? With a brand-new 21' trailer? Have you done it before with the Scamp 5er? A half-mile driveway and there isn't enough space at the end to turn around?

Not I! Forward or backward.
Thanks, Guess I wasn't "listening"!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you grew up on a farm you just might know the benefits of moving a trailer from the front of your vehicle. Very easy to do.

Many have installed a Ball on their front bucket of a tractor so they can move their 5th Wheel goose neck trailers around.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi Guys: Perhaps I should clarify myself. The long curvy driveway is paved. The direction I will be backing is down the hill. The hill is extremely steep. I have seen technicians at the RV dealer near me maneuver trailers around with a ball on the front of a forklift. It seems to make sense to me that backing a trailer looking at it the way I described should be easier. I do intend on practicing and purchasing and extension for the trailer brakes
laird allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by laird allen View Post
Hi Guys: Perhaps I should clarify myself. The long curvy driveway is paved. The direction I will be backing is down the hill. The hill is extremely steep. I have seen technicians at the RV dealer near me maneuver trailers around with a ball on the front of a forklift. It seems to make sense to me that backing a trailer looking at it the way I described should be easier. I do intend on practicing and purchasing and extension for the trailer brakes
So turning around must be the issue. I think I would prefer the standard orientation to have use of the mirrors.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #10

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
My driveway is 500' downhill with nowhere to properly turn around, the first time I drove the 23.5' trailer down it (while having one of those $600 1000lb tongue dollys on order for maneuvering trailers around) it came in so I tried to turn the trailer around and found out those things are useless and returned it. While I did finally get the trailer turned around, with the truck, it was NOT easy and I ended up trashing a bit of my lawn. I immediately remembered seeing a truck and wondering why it had a hitch receiver on the front and then there was the epiphany, ordered it on Amazon, installed it in about an hour, worth all 13,500 pennies it cost.

If you have ever had a tight spot, tricky area or have had to make more than a couple adjustments of the wheel while positioning, then it is worth having directional wheels directly in control of the trailer wheels.

Do get/build the extension cable for the brake control, about $35 on Amazon and go slow, mine drops about 500-600 lbs onto the front end of the truck and going downhill can be odd feeling at first.

Youtube search front hitch and you will find some examples of how it behaves

Oh, and if you have bikes or something that needs a hitch, you can carry it on the front during travels...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Boler American
Missouri
I remember way back when the only 4WE vehicles were a few jeeps or mil surplus pickups. A hitch ball on the front bumper allowed a 2WD vehicle to put a boat trlr in the water and keep the rear drive wheels on dry land. Worked pretty well. Maybe it was local to the Ozarks?

John
Borders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi John (Borders) - That practice isn't local to the Ozarks - Several locals on this side of the 'Border' are also appreciative of having the 'rear wheels on dry land' when launching their water cruiser down the wilderness ramp into the lake. But, the common vehicles up our way are generally 4X4 anyway. John's earlier post did remind me of the many miles I've carried a Honda 50cc trail-bike mounted on the front bumper of my pick-up with the slide-in camper in the box. But, that's back in the 'olden days' when bumpers (front and rear) were made of real steel !
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by laird allen View Post
Hi everybody: I currently own a scamp 5ver and a Toyota Tundra. I will be picking up an Escape 21 Oct 28 in Chillawack BC. I will be visiting a brother in Arcata Ca who has a long (1/2 mile) curvy and very steep driveway. Has anyone connected a tag along to the front of their vehicle and driven in looking at the trailer through the windshield? I already have a receiver on the front of the Toyota and am looking at an extension to connect the brakes. any thoughts or actual experience would be appreciated. By the way the Escape will also have a backup camera
Yes, it is easier to maneuver a trailer with a front hitch on the TV.
Be sure to have one or two spotters to guide you around the curves and tight spots. Walkie Talkies are a big help. As long as you go slow, you may not need the trailer brakes.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
hitch

Go for it Much easier to drive then backing up a 1/2 mile . The 21 weighs about 4000lb you might not need the trailer brakes if you go SLOW . Moving boats or trailers are almost always moved around driving them instead of backing them at marinas or RV dealers with little tugs
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:26 PM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Lots of folks here in the South have box hitches on the front of their pickups, primarily for putting their fishing boat in the lake or river at "primitive" (dirt) boat ramps. It keeps the rear wheels on dry(er) dirt (especially if it's red clay that gets super slick when wet). Everything they need to see is right there in front of them (granted, it's easier to look over the top of a bass boat than a camper). And it's much more maneuverable (very responsive to minor steering corrections). If I'm not mistaken, isn't that how those little "Tug" things at the airport push big commercial airplanes out away from the terminal far enough that the plane can then use its own power to thrust forward from there? If a front-mounted hitch is good enough for maneuvering a 250' long 747, then it ought to be good enough for a 21' Escape. (Also used as a front mount for a portable winch for pulling yourself or someone else out of trouble.)
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #16

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Or your could just get a new TV that does it all

https://youtu.be/lAA929-djIU
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
My Dad had a hitch on the front of his 32' Pace Arrow motorhome to back his boat down ramps. Worked really well.

For the trip up the driveway, you could mount somebody's phone on the back of the trailer and connect with it via Facetime or Skype. Planning to try this next time we hitch up our trailer. My wife's backing up signals are less than fluent.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote