Backup cameras times 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Backup cameras times 2

I've read lots of posts about people installing backup cameras on the back of trailers and they seem like a good idea especially since they've become so inexpensive. I've also read lots of posts where the wireless setups either weren't powerful enough to provide a consistantly good image or were affected by external interference. So I decided to go with a hard wired system. I've run lots of wires so it didn't seem like a big deal to run another couple of wires for the cameras.

I found a 7", dual input, monitor on ebay, $52 with one camera and bought a second one for $15.

I was wondering where I might mount it as I didn't want it on top of the dash but since it is about the size of my radio I decided to mount it in front on a bottom hinged bracket. Instead of hooking it to the backup lights to "turn it on" I wired in a small switch so that I can turn the whole system on while underway to monitor out of sight traffic behind the trailer.

I havn't had a chance to use it on the trailer while underway but early indications are that it'll meet my needs. A "V1/V2" button on the monitor allows for selecting either the hitch or the rear of the trailer. 67 bucks, what a deal

Attached Thumbnails
24-08-2012 7-16-16 PM  001_resize.JPG   24-08-2012 7-16-16 PM  002_resize.JPG  

24-08-2012 7-16-16 PM  003_resize.JPG  

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
I have a tendency to mount those things on the back of the sunvisor. Outta sight (not an attractive target for those who may value MY stuff highly) yet very easy to use either on the road or when backing up.

BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Nice looking setup. If I had that large monitor located there, my wife would insist I hook it up to netflix or cable TV.
Dan H

Just for fun Photo Website -
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
... I found a 7", dual input, monitor on ebay, $52 with one camera and bought a second one for $15 ...
Great deal. Was this a one off or are more for sale?
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Willy and Tom,

I just put in " 7" backup camera monitor" into ebay and got several of the same type in the first dozen listings. Including one for $32.99 which is less than I paid. Maybe that doesn't include a remote control like mine, although I have to wonder how I would use a remote control when I can touch the screen with my fingers.

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote