Backup monitor or similar - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
For what its worth I put this system on my Casita. Yes its from China, Got it in a week via Ebay. It does emulate a mirror etc etc. It is wireless. I know there are lots of replies out there. There are several vendors with the same product. I chose the dash mount variable option. JMHO.
Wireless IR Night Vision Rear View Back Up Camera System 7" Monitor for RV Truck | eBay
Mike

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Back - up camera

We have a 1997 16' Scamp. We bought it in Oct of 2013. I had little experience in campers and was pretty uncomfortable about backing up. I found a Camera on discount at a dept store for $50 and thought it might be a good idea.
I mounted the camera on the license plate. I powered the sending unit by tying into the parking lights inside the rear compartment under the dining area seat. The camera is on whenever we turn on the parking lights. Convenient and works for us.
We tow with a Ford Edge which has a pretty large window, still we find that the Garmin and the backup screen seems just a bit busy. We have now travelled over 14,000 miles and I am no longer uncomfortable about backing up. When changing lanes, my mirrors seem fine and I always twist to check my blind spot. The camera wouldn't help with the blind spot anyway. Over the past 8 -10,000 miles the backup screen has lived in the glove compartment. It fell off the window once and we haven't missed it enough to stick it back up.
Different strokes for different folks and one person's tool is another's paperweight.
I just recently helped a friend put one on his new van for the wife. Many people love em.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #17

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
Here is a link to a previous thread about this topic:
Rear View Camera Question

We use the Peak CorB camera and monitor...one of our entries in the above thread has pictures.
Yes, the monitor has a button to reverse the image so that you see things as if you were looking in your rear view mirror. Not a problem if you are looking at the monitor mounted on your dashboard BUT we mount the monitor in the back window of the Frontier tow vehicle and thus we are looking at it via the rear view mirror. Without the option to reverse the image, things on the right would appear as if on the left...so having a button to reverse the image is crucial!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #18

Texas
Just curious Fran- Would it not be like looking at a post card? Curious as to why you mounted on the back window of the tow vehicle? I'm sure there is a logical and functional explanation.
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #19

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
Mike,
Not sure how to answer your postcard question....
We mounted it in the back window of the pickup truck since it would be natural to use the rear view mirror to look behind you while driving. If the trailer was not there, that's what one would do. The suction cup mount that it came with made it easy to do that. Some people mount things to the rearview mirror but this seemed easier.... And it kept clutter out of the dashboard area...sometimes we have a GPS there.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #20

Texas
That I can understand. I tow with a Odyssey and its a long way back there for me to see. For my BU monitor I dont watch it much but I can glance at it as I check my mirrors left and right to see if anything is there. Thanks for the explanation and yes the dash does get cluttered it seems like anymore. I have a GPS, cell charger,dash cam,BU monitor, and a radar detector all vying for room. Then underneath that is the Ham Radio control heads. Thanks for the explanation and visual.

If you Rest, You Rust