bearing lube confusion - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You can get them in a blister pack at just about any boat place for under 20 bucks.
Older Scamp13s (1200# axle) have 1" spindles, newer ones have 1-1/16" spindles so either mic your spindles or get the numbers off your bearings.
What year is your Scamp?
2014 - 13'

WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
2014 - 13'
1-1/16" straight spindle on a 2200# axle.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #17
Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Excellent - thank you for the specs
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #18
Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Tangent but relevant...
For those of you with 2WD pickups.... how often do you actually repack the front wheel bearings?
When I could do it, I did pack my bearings........myself. The newer trucks come with permanently lubricated bearing, which you can't repack. I've got almost 170K on my '07 Siverado and no problems.........yet.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
David, I'll give you MY account of my Scamp and how I feel about the trailer bearings. This is NOT advice so as my as you wish, but here's what I've done so far.

2010 13' Standard Scamp bought brand new fully-loaded weighs 1750 lbs apx 1900 lbs MAX loaded ready to travel. My running schedule has been like this... avg 4 camping trips a year since 2010. My trailer has a documented 9000 miles on it.

My maintenance schedule has been... NO grease, NO pulling the wheels since I've owned my trailer. My hubs NEVER run hot...never have. I spin the wheels before taking them off the jacks...they're VERY smooth and coast very well without any "notichiness". I pulled the rubber covers off the EZ Lubes and there's plenty of new-looking grease (not black/burned) there at the opening...both sides! I check the hubs regularly between stops with my IR meter and hand-feel. The tires are the same that came on the trailer... DICO's. I use a magnifying glass to check for dry rot. Their manufacture date is 2008.

WHY do I feel comfortable with this? Well, outside of speaking with Floyd on the phone about it, AND Dexter (more details if you want), my axle is a Dexter 2200 lb. cap. Loaded, the max load is 850 per side (rated 1100 per side!). I drive 62 mph when towing. I run 50 lbs pressure. When parked, my trailer stays up on jacks and under a fully shaded carport. I spin the wheels when I walk by which is quite occasionally. I also check for "play" by grabbing the wheel/tires on each side and performing the test. I can say that the ONLY maintenance I've done on the axle/bearings/tires/brakes since I've owned my trailer is adjusted the "Street" side brakes this year.

I've gone head-to-head with Dexter engineers as to WHY they tell people to PULL their wheels EVERY year REGARDLESS of the miles which is TOTAL nonsense!! I had one honest soul tell me they know they wont be getting calls about their axles...sheesh. Their main target for this...and it DOES make more sense- is boat trailers going in water regularly. THAT is the reason they developed the "EZ Lubes". When you do as it's designed, it will push any water out of the bearings and out the front. I'm more concerned about people trying to do what's right but are not professionals pulling the wheels/bearings and getting more contamination inside, over tightening, wrong grease...etc.

I'll more than likely get blasted for this post but that's fine. But I have to ask, why doesnt GM, Ford, Nissan, Toyota not tell us to pull the bearings on the front wheels of our trucks every year regardless whether we drive them or not????

How you load (NOT OVERLOAD), drive, store your axles/trailers is the true story of how you should maintain your axles and my opinion. And finally, I KNOW my axles and tires have a HUGE safety factor built in with the load I carry with my trailer vs the capacities stated. But if a trailer is loaded to the max on the axle load and tires, to me, one is flirting with disaster and all I just wrote will/would not apply to me or anyone else.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #20
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Very well said, Darral. I do not use an IR thermometer, but check the temperature by feel, both tires and both hubs pretty much every time I stop for gas. I never felt anything hot to touch, the sunny side is always noticeably warmer, which suggests that the Sun is a greater source of heat than the bearings, sidewalls or brakes. I use the brakes sparingly, leave myself a lot of room and coast of downshift.

When the Scamp is winterized, I raise the wheels off the ground and also give them a spin when I happen to walk by. That keeps the layer of grease/oil in the contact patch of the bearing elements (tapered rollers in this case) and races.

If the tires were getting hot while traveling, I would check the pressure, the biggest source of heat would be the excessive flexing of the sidewall. A quick and easy pressure gauge is a steel bar or a big wrench. I tap the tires and listen for the tone. After a few hits I know what they should sound like. (Somewhat like the old engineers swinging their long handled hammer, testing the railroad car wheel rims.)

I do have a regular tire gauge (or two) and I use it at the start of any long trips.

Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote