Bearing Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Talking Bearing Question

Just got a 1989 16' Scamp. My mechanic said the bearings were fine and greased, but what about annual maintenance? What should be done to keep things rolling??
sgmharvard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
How many miles do you anticipate traveling per year? Once a year cleaning, inspecting, and packing with grease is more than adequate. It also provides the opportunity to inspect the brakes. You'll get lots of opinions on this subject. If you have a good mechanic you use, follow his recommendations.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Thanks for the comment. How do I pack the bearing with grease? is there a place for a grease gun?
sgmharvard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Once A Year

I have my bearings repacked and my brakes checked and adjusted
(If Necessary) each fall .
Cost is around $40 where I live and it is cheap insurance in my mind.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most wheel bearings are not set up to use a grease gun. They have to be removed, cleaned, inspected, and packed with grease. If you are not mechanically inclined, you should let a professional do it. By your user name, do you have a connection to Harvard University? Our son got his Masters there, and although I'm a retired truck mechanic, he never picked up any mechanical knowledge from me and would have no idea how to do wheel bearings. We all have our own area of expertise, but certainly capable of learning other tasks. Our son calls me with mechanical questions, I call him with computer questions. My opinion is that if you wish to do your own repairs, have a knowledgeable person show you, don't always rely on something you find on the internet. Some of the info I've found online just scares me the way people do things.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
My opinion is that if you wish to do your own repairs, have a knowledgeable person show you, don't always rely on something you find on the internet. Some of the info I've found online just scares me the way people do things.
Well said!
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote