Beefing up Honda Odyssey suspension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: In market for scamp 13
Nebraska
Beefing up Honda Odyssey suspension

I'm driving a 2008 Honda Odyssey, and it is always loaded with some fairly heavy music gear. The back end sags noticeably, and that problem gets worse when I hook up the camper.

Has anyone beefed up their minivan's suspension? Does anyone recommend the air bag systems, or the rubber boot systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
I'm driving a 2008 Honda Odyssey, and it is always loaded with some fairly heavy music gear. The back end sags noticeably, and that problem gets worse when I hook up the camper.

Has anyone beefed up their minivan's suspension? Does anyone recommend the air bag systems, or the rubber boot systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Here's a couple of ideas....

2008 Honda Odyssey Performance Suspension | Shocks, Springs, Struts

I like this idea...

Timbren® HROD2 - Honda Odyssey EX / EX-L / LX / Touring 2008 Rear SES Rubber Helper Spring Kit
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Beefing up a Honda Odyssey suspension.

I used to pull my 3500 lb Bigfoot 17CB with my 2004 Odyssey. I had installed coolers for the transmission and the power steering. I also installed Airlift 1000 airbags in the rear coil springs. They required that the rubber bumpers inside the coils be cut out. This was best done with a soap and water wetted sharp long kitchen knife. These bumpers supposedly prevented the vehicle from bottoming out.
I pulled that trailer many thousands of miles with no problems but now use a 2011 Toyota Sienna, also with Airlift 1000 airbags. Again with no problems.
Airlift 100 airbags from Amazon are less than $100.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Airbags have the advantage of tune-ability. You match the ride to the load. They are more to maintain, and are more complex. You can add air to keep your headlights aimed too.
Overload springs or non pneumatic composite springs are simple, require no maintenance, but will only contact at some point in the suspension travel when loaded. The ride is un-affected when unloaded, which is good. Both systems would probably work for you.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote