Best hitch locks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Best hitch locks?

New to trailering, I was wondering what the best hitch pin locks are and best unattended trailer hitch locks. Also, any review on a Trimax SXT3 receiver lock would be helpful.. Thanks.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I have had good service from my Master Lock set. I have a 3 piece set in a storage bag. This is the new equivalent:
3794DAT - Master Lock®

My trailer came with a padlock for the coupler bail that I continue to use combined with my 377DAT - Master Lock®.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0180.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #3

Oregon
Thanks for good information, Frederick...I will look into that.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frederick; can you close the coupler with the 377 in it ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I cheaped out and went with a MasterLock padlock from WallyWorld. The it has to be removed from the coupler before engaging or disengaging.
Attached Thumbnails
Coupling Hitch Lock.jpg  

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I don't know of a lock that can't be hacked off so I just go for the Master Lock Wallo uses. The thing is to have the lock so the there will bypass your camper for an easier one. Something to think about: They do sell wheel locks that cover the lug nuts on the wheel and also prevent the unit from moving. Police use these types of locks to put on illegal parked cars so the fine is paid B 4 the vehicle can be moved. Most likely expensive but more secure than the Master lock.

Try this site: http://www.universalboot.com/
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I use an old 2" trailer ball and a padlock like Wallo to secure my trailer.
My neighbor had one of those $40.00 fancy locks on his boat trailer and they stole it out of his side yard last week.
If they want your trailer they will get it.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #8

Oregon
Thanks for all the good information and options everyone.

Thieves are among the lowest of the lowest. They steal not only one's possessions, but their peace of mind too.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Had a trailer lock about 35 years ago that featured a sleeve over the locking arm which went through the hitch lever. If anyone could get a saw blade in the thin space between hitch lever and lock, the sleeve would only roll and make cutting difficult. Don't know where that lock went but I covered (I was a reporter) a boat and trailer theft once where the entire rig was inside a garage and had double locks on the hitch. It also had 1 inch cables attached through the trailer chassis and welded to iron supports coming out of the ground. When the stolen unit was recovered later the thief said he simply used a tow truck to latch onto the trailer and pulled it away after breaking into the garage and using a cutting torch on the cables. He never could figure how to get the locks off before he was caught.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Frederick; can you close the coupler with the 377 in it ?

My picture in post #2 shows the 377 locked in the closed coupler and the bail is locked in the closed position. The coupler latch lock's shank that came with my set is too short for my wide bail, thus the continued use of the long shank padlock.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #11

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Can't tell if this lock is worth anything but that's what we have. Seems as if someone could pull it off but it is very tightly on. Don't know. It is something for someone to have to bother with at least a little. There is a section of it up inside the coupler. Keys are round.
Attached Images

Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #12

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
I picked up a Reese coupler lock. I figure it is a start and was $22 at Auto Zone then I saw that Wal-Mart carries them too.
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #13

Oregon
Thanks Cathi and Lesa. Lots of choices, seems like most are comparable. I have come to conclusion nothing is full-proof, just make it as hard as you can for the thief.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
New to trailering, I was wondering what the best hitch pin locks are and best unattended trailer hitch locks. Also, any review on a Trimax SXT3 receiver lock would be helpful.. Thanks.
I use a Masterlock stainless steel hitch lock. It works well to assure that the hitch stays put when towing and it doesn't rust. These are pretty much equal imperatives. While it may also work as a theft deterrent, that is just not a big concern considering the remote likelihood.

I once had a ball mount lock rust in place and I had to cut it off, so corrosion resistance is a big factor for me.
The ball mount lock is important to assure that the ball mount stays in place and to prevent tampering or theft. My guess is that the theft of a ball mount is a thousand times more likely than the theft of a trailer, not to mention the danger if some idiot just decides to pull the pin (about like pulling the pin on a handgrenade)

Locksets for both which are keyed alike are available to help reduce that "jailor" feeling from carrying too many keys!
Attached Thumbnails
2946_1_lg hitch lock.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote