Best tow vehicle for Lil Snoozy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
funny how that seems to happen when ever someone asks whats the best vehicle to tow such and such with..... may as well asking what brand/make trailer should I buy!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Wisconsin
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
funny how that seems to happen when ever someone asks whats the best vehicle to tow such and such with..... may as well asking what brand/make trailer should I buy!
Thanks Carol! I was wondering if that's what the "head against the brick wall" meant! I do apologize for asking a question that I'm sure many newbies ask and that you who are experienced must be tired of hearing. I really do appreciate your patience. Thank you all!

Old 05-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel P View Post
Thanks Carol! I was wondering if that's what the "head against the brick wall" meant! I do apologize for asking a question that I'm sure many newbies ask and that you who are experienced must be tired of hearing. I really do appreciate your patience. Thank you all!
Rachel Please don't take it as a jab at newbies as asking before you spend a lot of money on a vehicle is a good thing. BUT as you can imaging every one has their own make/brand biases etc..... if you stick around long enough you can pretty well guess what so and so is going to say before they say it!

But to be honest, you have put a pretty wide spectrum of possible vehicles on your list. Like MC1 based on my own personal biases there are a couple I would draw a line right through as well but not because I don't think they can tow what you want them to tow.

I would suggested going and taking each of a test drive and narrowing it down to a smaller list and then getting some feed back on those. Also think about what you will be using the vehicle for when not towing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My '08 Highlander has towed trailers over 140,000 miles, with a total of 180,000+ on the odometer. I tow a Lil Hauley (empty Snoozy shell) daily, taking books and gift items from school to school. It will do fine with the Snoozy up to 65 mph, although on long grades at high altitude you'd want to slow down.

Another one you might consider, if within your budget, is the Lexus GX. It has a V8.

Dave, a Hemi in a Wrangler? I didn't know they could stuff one under that hood. Very cool! How much will that mod set you back?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't think that we (at least I don't) get tired of answering questions that are important to the O.P. For example, not many Subaru owners know about the limitations on some models, which is a surprise to many when they ask, much as was the same with the post I made earlier concerning the GMC Terrain. Gathering information and resources is a good idea. But, what some peeps will think that's the cats meow, others will drop off at the animal shelter and walk away from, and vice-versa.

I doubt if anyone on the group think that my chosen TV is a great choice, but after ten years of research it has proved perfect for me. You too will need to do the same, except not for 10 years, maybe.

One BIG TIP: DO NOT accept sale or service reps word for towing specifications. Get the owners manual out of the glove box and read in there the exact specifications for the vehicle you are looking at. Those are upper limits for good reason and should never be exceeded. If they don't have the manual for that vehicle, tell them to get it....period. And, if there are multiple ratings, be sure you are looking at the same driveline and options.

Good Luck Hunting.

Keep in mind that most of what you get here are opinions of an individual, or third party opinions that they in turn repeat here and all of them must be taken in context.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...if you stick around long enough you can pretty well guess what so and so is going to say before they say it! ...
I had a feeling you were going to say that.

For a tow vehicle, I also like the Toyota options including the Tacoma, 4Runner, and Highlander (in that order). Of course, the FJ Cruiser also makes a fine tow vehicle, but you did not ask about that.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOW, that's a very strong indictment of a vehicle. One that a number of list members seemed to be happy with the last time this came up. How about some references, or at least some specifics like:

Who are the "Towing Professionals"?
What Year and Model 4Runners were tested and with What trailers?
When were the tests done?
Why didn't they like them?
Where can these tests/opinions be seen?
My thought too..
Just what is a towing professional??? The guys who deliver RV trailers almost all drive duellys.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My head-banging was a response to MC1's predictable response, not to the question that was posed.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Rachel, take the 4 Runner off your list as they are rated poorly by the towing professionals as far as towing capabilities.

Generally speaking any of the rest would work, personal preference comes into play here.

Why not look at Mini Vans? Honda and Toyota are very good at doing everything and much more practical than some of the vehicles you have listed.
Towed many thousands of miles with a 4Runner. You fail to realize that there are many versions of a 4Runner and many versions of towing professionals. Do you have any personal knowledge regarding towing with a 4Runner? Are you or they referring to the V6s or V8s? Manual or automatic? Were they commenting on the latest generation or an older one that is completely different? Did any of these professionals happen to say what they specifically did not like?

By the way, I have seen the "professionals" give excellent reviews regarding towing with a 4Runner. A truck base is a decided advantage when towing. I know many are using 4Runners to tow fiberglass trailers. We also had about 17mpg when towing 3500-3600 lbs. Would be good if you had any specifics.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Towed many thousands of miles with a 4Runner. Did any of these professionals happen to say what they specifically did not like?
No prob Cathi. This is what the pro's had to say. No doubt the earlier versions were highlighted.

Quote: "We have set up a lot of 4Runners over the years. It is not a vehicle we would recommend for towing but a lot of people come in that already own them. The drive train works very well, there are no power issues with it.

They are one of the least stable tow vehicles you can choose however. Many of the design elements that give it great off road capabilities reduce it on highway stability when towing."
Old 05-14-2015, 01:01 AM   #25

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote from whom? Again, no specifics on which 4Runners. No specifics on what they are referring to.

The SAE, however, tested 4Runners in towing tests under a variety of conditions and rated 5000 towing capacity for our particular one. There are other experts who give them high marks not to mention owners who tow with them. I still see no basis given for such a blanket statement when there are different versions of 4Runners and no indication of which are being talked about, or what their remarks are based on.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #26

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Rachel, take the 4 Runner off your list as they are rated poorly by the towing professionals as far as towing capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOW, that's a very strong indictment of a vehicle. One that a number of list members seemed to be happy with the last time this came up. How about some references, or at least some specifics like:

Who are the "Towing Professionals"?
What Year and Model 4Runners were tested and with What trailers?
When were the tests done?
Why didn't they like them?
Where can these tests/opinions be seen?
I totally agree with Bob and would like to know where you got your information. Not just quotes but actual links from the "professionals".
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post

...... would like to know where you got your information. Not just quotes but actual links from the "professionals".
Good day Pat. I am a long time researcher of tow vehicle and combinations. Sooo.... please don't shoot the messenger....LOL

I follow info and seminar's from Garth Cane who is out of Toronto Canada. Very knowledgeable and experienced with towing, TV, and combo dynamics.

Also, one of the best resources IMHO for towing info is from these folks. The net, numerous RV magazines, towing seminars, etc have volumes pages/articles of info from this source. Do your research. Lots of good info out there.

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/getti...in-london-ont/
Old 05-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #28

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Good day Pat. I am a long time researcher of tow vehicle and combinations. Sooo.... please don't shoot the messenger....LOL

I follow info and seminar's from Garth Cane who is out of Toronto Canada. Very knowledgeable and experienced with towing, TV, and combo dynamics.

Also, one of the best resources IMHO for towing info is from these folks. The net, numerous RV magazines, towing seminars, etc have volumes pages/articles of info from this source. Do your research. Lots of good info out there.

Getting hitched in London, Ont. - Macleans.ca
I looked at the one link you provided “Getting hitched in London, Ont.” and it’s about hitches not about TV’s and this remark in the article attributed to Andy Thompson would make anything else he says rather suspect:

“Most dealers will tell you you need a big truck to tow a trailer, but Andy will tow a 34-foot trailer with a Jaguar XJ or a Jetta Diesel.”

He may pull a 34’ trailer with a VW Jetta Diesel on his “17 acres off Highway 4” but I certainly wouldn’t want to be around when he tries to stop that thing at highway speeds or going down one of the hills in the west.

2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy