Best Towing Vehicle Conundrum for 16' or 17 ' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Best Towing Vehicle Conundrum for 16' or 17 '

Hello Folks:
We are planning to purchase a 16' or 17' FGT this fall or early spring.
Along with that, we will be buying a new/used vehicle for everyday use and towing. Estimated weight of FGT is 3500 lbs loaded.
We are going around in circles with the tow vehicle decision. Looking for a vehicle that is easy to drive around town, but will do the tow job.
We would appreciate any suggestions?
Thanks!
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You wouldn't think 1' could make much difference, but it can.

A Scamp 16 averages around 2500-2600 pounds with 275 pounds tongue weight. It can be towed with any number of 3500/350 rated vehicles, including some compact and mid-sized 2-row SUVs and minivans.

A Casita 17 averages 3100-3200 pounds, but the kicker is tongue weight, at around 425 pounds. That puts you into a truck or larger SUV.

If you want to keep your options open, a properly equipped Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, or similar can tow up to 5000 pounds or more. That should handle anything up to 17'.

Make sure that whatever you buy has the right engine, drivetrain, and towing upgrades required for the maximum tow rating.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Whatever you get, be SURE to get the towing option on that vehicle. Some of the changes cannot be effectively added later. Included in the original build is so much better.

Myself, I have owned and driven a pickup truck for over 35 years. We won't go without. So the decision was easy, a nice F150.

As far as getting around town, the F150 is fine. If I want something smaller, I just take my wife's Honda Element. Problem solved.

IMHO, people seem to get themselves into marginal towing situations, with little to no margin to spare. Want to take another passenger? May put you over your payload limit. Want to travel with water on board? Might take you over the hitch weight limit. Want to pull a steep grade? Might need to change your route to something not so steep. Find a great deal on a slightly larger trailer (or get upgrade-itis)? Might be a problem!!

With extra to spare, any of these is no problem.

It took us just one F/G rally to decide to upgrade trailers (and go to 19 foot). The same has happened to others I am sure.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its not the trailer or the tug its what the additional load thats the issue. You have to put a number to the additional weight. We have a small trailer but carry allot of extra stuff. We are 2 people. A couple of bikes, a canopy, a folding hammoc, 2 chairs, a folding step stool, fire wood and of course the dog and its luggage. All this weight and stuff has to go some place and be accounted for. Thes eggs are not utilitary trailers and you cant pack them full of stuff. Nor do you want to climb over or unpack an overloaded trailer just for a half day or over night nap. For us the Tacoma pickup with bed cover works well and before that the nissan pathfinder did well too. Both can handle the tow capasity and the luggage over load and still remain safe. You just have to account what is important to you. 450 lbs of tongue weight eats up allot of carrying capasity.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

Connecticut
These are all helpful considerations. Thanks so much!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Jude,

If you would like to enjoy some additional margin, or would like to comfortably tow the Casita 17 with its heavy tongue weight, you can search the Internet for "5000 lb tow rating" and similar terms. There are many articles like "10 SUVs That Can Tow 5000 Lbs."

Tongue weight capacity is typically 10% of the towing capacity, so would be 500 lbs for a 5,000 tow capacity. I believe that Hyundai Santa Fe's have retained the 5,000/500 capacity through many model years.

A few vehicles such as some Volvos have a tongue weight capacity that is much less than 10% of the tow capacity, so that has to be checked. You'll also need to make sure that the vehicle you are interested retain your target rating for the model year(s) you focus on. The capacity can also vary between different models of the same vehicle.

Also look into the vehicle's cargo carrying capacity. The tongue weight and everything you put into the car from luggage to driver and passengers has to be supported by the cargo capacity (in lbs, not cubic feet!). It's probably best to search for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) to get at the cargo capacity in pounds.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
You could really help the discussion if you at least decided if you want a pickup or an enclosed SUV.

This decision will be based on possible other uses, type and amount of gear you intend to take with you, ie. bikes, kayaks, dogs, large family, etc.

It's not just how much the TV can tow, it's what it will be carrying while towing or what it will be doing when not towing too. Do you go to the mountains in winter, camp in the desert, only travel in fair weather with full hookups, want to take a quad with you, frequently need to have four people in the TV, or just two? Need 4WD, want a truck for other purposes or want the absolute best gas mileage you can get? Will the TV replace another vehicle or be added to the fleet? Are you going full time traveling or going once a year in summer?

Narrow the search a bit or it's pretty much impossible to make sensible recommendations.

How about a 1958 Chrysler Imperial with the 392 Hemi and Torque Flite transmission. A very powerful and durable car with a huge trunk and back seat. Very easy to drive with power steering and double leading shoe front brakes. This could tow the FGRV at 100 MPH all day without braking a sweat (excellent in the open spaces of Nevada). Plenty of room for the dogs and kids, but poor in the snow.

Another fine choice might be a 2018 F-150 with extended cab, short bed, 4WD and 3.5 engine with 10 speed transmission (avoid the Raptor with it's extreme dealer markup).

Or a Mercedes-Benz ML 350 4Matic Blue TEC Diesel.

All capable of doing the work just fine, but way different from each other.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
What's your budget for this "New" tow vehicle or for your "New To You" (Used) tow vehicle?
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:47 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We're essentially full timers and as a result own only one vehicle. Initially we towed with a 4 cylinder, manual transmissionHonda CRV all over North America towing a 2600 lb Scamp 16, tongue weight 200 lbs. We averaged 20-21 mpg driving 55-60 mph. After 10 years we sold the CRV, never a problem, and bought a V6 Honda Odyssey and now get 18-19 mpg towing the same trailer. It definitely has more power and is more comfortable than the CRV plus a ton more room. As well it gets better Mpg when not towing than the CRV. Since it's an automatic we did get Honda's massive transmission cooler.

We're into year 4 again with no problems. I will say it has gobs of power compared to the CRV.

Ginny's thoughts were we are old enough for an automatic and when we can't tow any more we could sleep in the van. (I guess she's not planning to ever get off the road.)

I should say our tongue weight is still 200 lbs, our trailer weight is low and well centered, our trailer tires are at max, and our tow vehicle tires boosted a little, and our ball is as close to the rear axle as possible.

A truck was never a consideration, too tall for 75 year old's and not nearly as comfortable as the Odyssey.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We had a Subaru Outback (200/2700 lbs) but now that we travel more miles and longer distances our Scamp has gotten too heavy. Good news for Subaru lovers is that the Subaru Ascent is due to come out soon and according to Motor Trend will tow up to 5,000 lbs! It will compete with Dodge Durangos, Toyota Highlanders, and Honda Pilots, etc, but will have AWD standard.
We did get a Dodge Durango V6 8 spd transmission and it has plenty of starting and stopping power, and can tow up to 6200 lbs with the V6. We do miss the utility of our Dakota pickup with the cap and side windoors, it had plenty of places to pack stuff including a gas can where the fumes wouldn't affect us inside the tow vehicle. Our Durango gets 20% better fuel mileage than the Dakota and has some features that we've come to like that the Dakota doesn't have, so the Durango is now our primary tow vehicle.
We will probably look closely at the new Ford Ranger when it comes out since the newer full size pickups are just too big for everyday drivers in my opinion. We love our Dakota since it's just the right size but no longer made.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #11

Name: Jerry
Colorado
My solution

This may be on the expensive side, but I haul a 17 ft. Casita with a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. Great combination, including a 7200 tow rating. However, they are not currently selling the diesel model as emissions are under review. I currently get 20-21 mpg towing the Casita and high 20s around town, 30 plus hwy. I have over 60K miles on the car, 30K towing - very good combination.
Jerryteits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Take a look at the small diesels in the Chevy Colorado, or comparable GMC pickup. I've enjoyed the small diesel in the Sprinter. The Sprinter "Worker" starts in the mid thirties.
In gas engines, look into Ford's EcoBoost. They seem to tow well and get great mileage
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I assume that since you are asking this question that you have limited automotive and towing experience.
That doesn't stop most people from having predisposed opinions about makes, styles, and images.
So...

Start with a TV you like and that you think will work.
Pick the trailer you like.
Check to see if the TV you picked will pull the trailer you like
using manufacturer's ratings of both and including a margin with which you are comfortable.
Be patient,slow and careful while you learn to drive your new TV /trailer combo.
This should bring you confidence and competence which should lead to a good travel trailer experience.
Be careful and have fun.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #14

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
If you decide to get a truck, you might look into a 2016+ Ford F150 XLT with the towing package that includes the Pro Trailer Backup Assist feature.

https://youtu.be/0HLcJiPcumM

Nice for backing trailers into a campsite.

Just a thought ..... ☺

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Jude,

If you would like to enjoy some additional margin, or would like to comfortably tow the Casita 17 with its heavy tongue weight, you can search the Internet for "5000 lb tow rating" and similar terms. There are many articles like "10 SUVs That Can Tow 5000 Lbs."

Tongue weight capacity is typically 10% of the towing capacity, so would be 500 lbs for a 5,000 tow capacity. I believe that Hyundai Santa Fe's have retained the 5,000/500 capacity through many model years.

A few vehicles such as some Volvos have a tongue weight capacity that is much less than 10% of the tow capacity, so that has to be checked. You'll also need to make sure that the vehicle you are interested retain your target rating for the model year(s) you focus on. The capacity can also vary between different models of the same vehicle.

Also look into the vehicle's cargo carrying capacity. The tongue weight and everything you put into the car from luggage to driver and passengers has to be supported by the cargo capacity (in lbs, not cubic feet!). It's probably best to search for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) to get at the cargo capacity in pounds.
You highlight a couple of points...
I will substitute ratings for capacity since capacity is not at issue.

1] Notice tongue rating is nearly always 10% of tow rating, even on identical chassis where only engines are different. While a smaller less powerful engine could effect tow rating, it could not alone effect tongue weight capacity(rating being arbitrary).

2] Since it is widely accepted that tongue weight must be at least 10% of trailer weight then logic dictates that either the tongue rating is arbitrary or the tow rating is just plain wrong. Either way, it can not be legitimate that tongue weight rating can be less than 10% of tow rating.
If Tongue Ratings were legitimate, then they could effect Tow Rating but not the other way around.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #16

Connecticut
Thanks, all, for your thorough answers. We ARE new to towing and have learned a lot from reading online, talking to seasoned TT folks and this forum.

We have driven and are leaning toward:
*Toyota 4 Runner - SR5 (has tow package)
*Toyota Highlander XLE (this model has the tow package)
Tomorrow we are driving:
*Ford 150 Eco Boost
*Nissan Frontier SV

Does anyone have any experience with the Nissan Frontier? They are offering some great deals on the 2017 SV, but Consumers isn't gaga over it.

Our price point for a TV is around $25,000 so this puts us into the older vehicle category.
It certainly is challenging!
And - we are pretty sold on the Casita 17" Spirit Deluxe. We will be shopping for a used one as soon as we settle on a vehicle. So, we know what we need in terms of capacity.
Thanks again for all of the information.
Happy Labor Day Weekend to all!

Jude and Ed
Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Thanks, all, for your thorough answers. We ARE new to towing and have learned a lot from reading online, talking to seasoned TT folks and this forum.

We have driven and are leaning toward:
*Toyota 4 Runner - SR5 (has tow package)
*Toyota Highlander XLE (this model has the tow package)
Tomorrow we are driving:
*Ford 150 Eco Boost
*Nissan Frontier SV

Does anyone have any experience with the Nissan Frontier? They are offering some great deals on the 2017 SV, but Consumers isn't gaga over it.

Our price point for a TV is around $25,000 so this puts us into the older vehicle category.
It certainly is challenging!
And - we are pretty sold on the Casita 17" Spirit Deluxe. We will be shopping for a used one as soon as we settle on a vehicle. So, we know what we need in terms of capacity.
Thanks again for all of the information.
Happy Labor Day Weekend to all!

Jude and Ed
If you parked a Tacoma next to Frontier and made me choose, I would buy the Frontier in a New York minute, then stuff my pockets FULL with the difference money and drive home with a big smile on my face!

But it sounds like you will find the right choice for towing the Casita17 tomorrow, when you drive the F-150...(if you can afford it) get the 2.7L Eco-Boost for first engine choice.(Prolly a new 2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Jude - a warning. Do not buy an F150 with a 2.7L Ecoboost V6. It'll ruin you for any other tow vehicle, period. :