Best vehicle for hauling Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-18-2003, 02:08 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Morgan Bulger
It wouldn't work at all for you.
Is that because you wonít loan it out long enough? Or maybe itís not for sale?

Oh, I know what you mean; I bought a CHEVY! :duck

Just kidding...:quiet

Old 01-18-2003, 05:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Orginally posted by Michael Sanders

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
It wouldn't work at all for you.
Is that because you won't loan it out long enough? Or maybe it's not for sale?

Oh, I know what you mean; I bought a CHEVY! :duck

Just kidding...:quiet [/quote]

Everything I own is always for sale at the right price. :lol2

I said that because Patricia had already said she wanted a passenger vehicle; she has a truck. :thumb

Happy b'day webguy. :wine

Old 01-18-2003, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Happy b'day webguy. :wine
You Guys & Gals sure make it easy to turn 60.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:17 AM   #18

Overkill???

As stated earlier - 'best' is a highly subjective concept. Depends on what your needs and personal preferences are. It's like asking 'what camera is best' (I'm also a photographer). Kinda depends on what you're doing with it. The idea of passing out disposable cameras at weddings is really great. Using one to take a negative you want to blow up poster-size is a really bad idea though. On the other hand - an 8x10 view camera would be a poor choice for taking family snaps and vacation pics.

That being said: We pull our Boler (which weighs under 900lbs dry) with a Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van. The van is actually bigger than the trailer is (all the more storage capacity). Is that overkill? You betcha! Reasons: partially it's because I prefer overkill. We knew we planned on driving out west into the mountains - so nudging ourselves up to our limits would be difficult at the time, and very hard on the van. More importantly however - we were concerned about the general comfort level of our butts on long drives. With the van, we can stick a 13" TV/VCR between the front seats - a small console between the middle seats - and load the back end full of camping gear. The kids are comfortable and happy - that keeps them quiet. That (in turn) keeps Mom and Dad comfortable and happy. :) The van is already wide enough that we don't need any special mirror extensions to see around the Boler. To be honest - I've gotta stretch a bit just to SEE the Boler in my left side mirror (it can't be seen at all in the right side mirror). If the Boler was just a little bit taller - I could see perfectly THROUGH the thing (those big front and rear windows). As it - we see pretty well through it - it's just not a perfect straight shot. :)

So - for us - the primary criteria became the ability to seat the 4 of us comfortably for the foreseable future (I expect the kids to be tall like me so the large space was muy important). The Boler COULD have been pulled by darn near anything - but the van was a better fit for our family.

mkw

Tags
scamp