Better Wheel clearance? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Kay
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Better Wheel clearance?

I have a 1989 16ft Scamp. There is not a whole lot of wheel clearance between the tire and camper body. Is there a way to lift it for better wheel clearance?
I am so tired of blowing tires...HELP!!! Kay W
Why2kay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Sounds like your suspension is worn out and has settled. But not sure how that is causing you to blow tires? Is it actually rubbing sometimes?
Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #3

Florida
Yes it is rubbing sometimes.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It needs a new rubber torsion axle. They have a normal working lifespan of around 20 years, so unless it’s already had a new axle, you’re due.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #5

Florida
Thank you!!! I kinda was thinking that.. I wonder how much it would costs for a new axel?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

Florida
Is the suspension the same as an axel?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Yes, the rubber torsion axle is the same as the suspension. I have had the axle with brakes replaced on our Scamp 13’, with Flexiride brand of torsion axle. It runs between $600.00 to $700.00 for the axle, then around $400.00 to have it installed. The nice thing about the Flexiride axle is that you can have the height of the trailer adjusted anytime you would like. I tow with our pick-up, and at times for off roading, I tow with our Jeep Rubicon, and adjust the trailer height for better ground clearance. You could also change out to 14 or even 15” wheels when you change out your axles.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Better Wheel clearance?

Flexiride is a great option but pricier than a regular fixed-angle torsion axle from Dexter or Lippert. Either would come in perhaps a couple hundred less than Dave’s estimates, if you’re on a budget. Since a Scamp 16 already uses a 10 or 22.5 (can’t recall offhand) degree down angle, I’m not sure you’d gain much adjustability, unless you also add a spacer.

I agree 14” or 15” wheels would give more safety margin on weight and (especially with 15”) a lot more tire choices.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We took our 19 ft to the Scamp factory 2 years ago to replace the axle and add a lift kit plus new 14 inch tires. Cost us about $1100.00.
J. Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
We have a 1980 trillium 4500 14.5ft and had the axle replace 2 years ago at a welding/fabrication shop in Sault, Michigan. They install a 3500lb axle with electric brakes and also replace the 1 7/8" inch coupler with a 2" coupler. I had the get the heavier axle and it also had a different angle to raise the trailer ride height and to carry a heavier load. It had a 2000lb axle and was the original. The total cost was $600 parts and labor. I had all ready switched from 13" wheels to 14" several years ago.

I wish I had done it long ago as we are boon dockers and needed the extra ground clearance. They had to order the axle because of my application, it took 2 days to get the axle. They called me it came in and scheduled me to install everything the next morning. Dropped it off first thing in the morning and they call me 4 hours later and said it is done, and come and pick it up. Went in and look at the job and it was excellent as expected, my family have used this shop for over 40 years on jobs we could do ourselves. They do not gouge customers as it is a small town and they want customers to return for other jobs.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

Name: Gary
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT ONEILL View Post
We have a 1980 trillium 4500 14.5ft and had the axle replace 2 years ago at a welding/fabrication shop in Sault, Michigan. They install a 3500lb axle with electric brakes and also replace the 1 7/8" inch coupler with a 2" coupler. I had the get the heavier axle and it also had a different angle to raise the trailer ride height and to carry a heavier load. It had a 2000lb axle and was the original. The total cost was $600 parts and labor. I had all ready switched from 13" wheels to 14" several years ago.

I wish I had done it long ago as we are boon dockers and needed the extra ground clearance. They had to order the axle because of my application, it took 2 days to get the axle. They called me it came in and scheduled me to install everything the next morning. Dropped it off first thing in the morning and they call me 4 hours later and said it is done, and come and pick it up. Went in and look at the job and it was excellent as expected, my family have used this shop for over 40 years on jobs we could do ourselves. They do not gouge customers as it is a small town and they want customers to return for other jobs.
Could I have the name of the business please? I think I could use a new axel myself. Pm me if you prefer. Thanks
The x kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The key is to use a trailer shop, not an RV shop. The cost will be significantly less and in many cases the quality will be higher. Of course you still need to make sure it's a good trailer shop, but avoid having work done at an RV shop if possible.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #13

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why2kay53 View Post
Thank you!!! I kinda was thinking that.. I wonder how much it would costs for a new axel?
Why2kay53,

For a 16ft trailer, likely best to go with a 3500lbs axle.

This might help you in your research. I've been looking at 2k axles for my burro.

https://www.southwestwheel.com/p-231...sion-axle.aspx
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:34 AM   #14

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Suggestion based on our personal experience:
Load up the trailer to your normal camping load, go to a scale, and weigh the trailer axle individually. Call Dexter support, and tell them your dimensions and load. They will supply you with a part number to order (we bought direct to avoid possible ordering error). While talking with them you can explain any non-standard uses or conditions, and they will adjust the recommendation to match.

Our need was for a trailer that is usually ca. 350-400 lbs. on the axle, but needs to run at 1100 lbs. occasionally. We got an axle that was overrated, but supplied with derated torsion springs. It's been perfect once we got radial tires on it.

The other system I would consider would be the Timbren Axle-Less; they also have excellent support and can craft an ideal spring for your needs.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #15

Name: Rae
Florida
I would also like the name of the business. PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance for the help.
Scampdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote