Beware Of PackRats! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Beware Of PackRats!

Just wanted to remind everyone of the dangers of PackRats and the damage they can do! We had them chew up under hood wiring on our F-150 a year ago and now again, at Lost Dutchman State Park another huge nest in our site (62). Thought all was good again but missing a cylinder. Bugger chewed an injector wire! Four hours to get at the injector, twenty minutes to fix and four hours back together.

Put some lights under your vehicle and or leave your hood up! You have been warned!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Rabbits do the same thing at the airport here. Seems I've heard there's an ingredient in the wire insulation they like.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Rabbits do the same thing at the airport here. Seems I've heard there's an ingredient in the wire insulation they like.
I think the insulation may be vegetable oil based, or something similar. Here on Jekyll Island GA the campground is over populated with squirrels and some people have had vehicle wiring chewed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Several years ago a confused hungry critter chewed up some sensor wires on my brand new Tacoma. I was lucky it only cost about $200, but it forced a change of plans on one of our camping trips. I was told by a service tech at a different Toyota dealership that some wiring had/has insulation based on soy oil plastic. Ever since, I have been hanging bags of moth balls in the engine compartment of my cars, and also on the outside of the Scamp. In winter my wife throws dryer (antistatic) sheets inside the Scamp.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I think the insulation may be vegetable oil based, or something similar. Here on Jekyll Island GA the campground is over populated with squirrels and some people have had vehicle wiring chewed.
Actually it is peanut oil in the coating of the wires they are after.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #6

New York
After a recent episode of a critter chewing vehicle wiring here on Jekyll and disabling that vehicle another person mentioned some electronic device that they use to repell critters. It connects to the vehicle battery. Don't recall what it was and don't know if I can find that post now, I'll try.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Field mice are our problem at home. A mechanic suggested a strobe light wired to the battery, but it was pricey. I've also heard mothballs, but I couldn't find any place to put then in the engine compartment away from moving parts and heat sources.

So far the field mice have only gone after the insulation attached to the hood as nesting material, but they chewed their way into the passenger compartment of our CR-V and as far as the cabin air filter in the Pilot, so I keep strategically-placed dryer sheets in both vehicles now. Surprisingly, the Scamp is the one place they haven't found their way into. Yet.

I'm definitely following this thread. We're going to Lost Dutchman in March. So glad we don't have pack rats up here in the mountains! I knew they were a problem for homeowners in the desert, but I hadn't thought to take precautions when camping. I appreciate the heads-up, Tony.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

New York
I use Fresh Cab in my stored vehicles and campers. Look at mouseblocker.com for the electronic device that I mentioned in my previous post. Have to research it myself and may try it.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Jon. Near site 62 in LDM, there is a nest about five feet long by three feet wide. These buggers are everywhere here in the desert! You need to have lights under your tow vehicle for sure! Fortunately Fiberglass trailers are well sealed as opposed to stickies.

For everyone:
A lot of people think that if you don’t have power that you can’t have lighting under your vehicle and trailer. Not so!
I use and have shown tons of people to do an easy light system that can be used when dry camping also.
You need to purchase the following:
1 - RV porch light (like on your trailer)
1 - Vehicle end 7 pin socket (if you have a 7 pin plug on your trailer)
1 - LED bulb to fit the porch light you have bought
30-50 feet of cheap speaker wire.
Use the speaker wire to join the 7 pin socket to the porch light. (Black terminal of socket to black wire of porch lamp. White terminal of socket to white wire of porch lamp.
Sooo, when you plug the socket to your trailer, the lamp will come on and run off of your trailer battery while you ,sleep. In the morning just unplug the socket from your trailer. With a good LED bulb it shouldn’t take much of your trailer battery to run it.
I have fixed my F-150s wiring twice now! In both cases I didn’t have my lights out (don’t ask why). Ford gave me a price for the first episode at $1800 approximately. I fixed it myself for $20. But a lot of time on my knees above the rad support. This isn’t fun at all!
Learn from my misfortune!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
A fellow camper in WY said to keep hood open and even star light would keep them out of the engine compartment. So I did. Then some months later another fellow said that is not sufficient, instead drop bags of moth balls under the truck. So I used 10 bags around the outside. I was doing this in Organ Pipe Nat Mon. The camp host said that is what he and the Ranger does.

We then went to Big Ben Nat Park in TX. Was told to NOT drop bags of moth balls on the ground around the outside of the truck because the Peccary will eat the moth balls and die an agonizing death. Or get asked to leave the park. So I picked them up and kept them in the back of the truck for the duration.
When we got back home I Googled the issue. Based on the resulting info I bought this stuff: (Amazon) Transtar 4423 Amber Rustproofing - 17 oz. Supposed to spray on all your wires, etc. Tested it and decided I did not want to use it so I bought this: (Amazon) 1/2" Bentley Harris Convoshield Wire Loom - Length: 39". It says it is Wire, but I cut a bit and it looks like chromed plastic, but maybe not. The 1/2" is too small a diameter for the propane hose, so I am buying the 5/8". I am still looking for real metal shielding/loom and if I find it will cover all wires and hoses, at least under the TT.
I have not had any packrats eat my wires, but maybe I will try the LED lights under the trailer, or at least in the engine compartment of my truck. But I must say, I don't like the idea of lights on when camping.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Rzrbrn. I too do not like lights. But with the porch light (s) shining up to the underside of your vehicle it is hard to see from beyond your site. Give it a try.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #12

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
FYI- A few years ago, my brother had his auto wiring eaten while in storage. Big time damage. His auto insurance paid for repair. Might be worth checking out if you have some major chewing.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #13

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Wow, I guess I'm lucky. I spent about a week at Organ Pipe Natl. Monument in May of this year and spent two days in Lost Dutchman a few years ago, with no vehicle problems. I did see one packrat at the camp sight at Lost Dutchman, but he was headed away from us. We did have our dog with us, and I wonder if the presence of a dog had any effect in the situation.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Mice will enter your vehicle through the air intake. Leave your heater in recirculate when parked. This will close off the opening. For a permanent fix remove the cowel and put a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth over the hole. I use Gorilla tape. The cowel removal requires removing the wipers and a bunch of push pins. Some cars have pressure relief vents that need to be screened as well. On our Subaru they were behind the rear bumper cover on the side. Once mice get in snap traps with peanut butter is your best bet. Moth balls, soap, drier sheets, etc. won't get rid of them. Trust me, I'm a veteran.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Thanks for that. I shudder to think what those critters did to your truck!

For a light without wiring, folks can use a flashlight. There are plenty of LED flashlights that will run all night (at or under 50 lumens) on a single AA cell.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Or an LED "puck" light, magnetic base, plus rechargeable batteries: https://www.harborfreight.com/27-led...ght-67227.html

Get one FREE right now with a coupon
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Rodents hate bleach it repels them, I carry a spay bottle and when parked for a few day's give things a quick spray to keep them away.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
DonnaD: Harbor Freight? Slip in a battery from The Dollar Tree (several to a $1 pack) new each night, well worth it to save your wiring!

Lots of things to try. Never thought about this at all before, will never quite NOT think about it from now on.

Thanks, all.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
You can avoid a lot of frustration and high blood pressure by doing ANY of these great ideas! Another vote for Snap Traps and Peanut Butter. We were in Anaheim California and got visited by mice. Not the Mickey kind. Deer Mice. As in carriers of Hantevirus. There is no cure for this terrible disease! It is deadly! Never handle anything to do with mice especially Deer Mice. Don’t vacuum their droppings!!!! Spray known areas with Bleach water and leave for an hour. Then wipe up and thoroughly clean. Check the CDC website about the dangers of Deer Mice. Every year people DIE because of inhaling their waste with vacuuming or sweeping!
Old 02-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #20

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I will look into the porch light idea and the portable battery powered light, one of the two may work. Both are really interesting ideas.

I can't find any metal split or spiral loom tubing protectors.

I don't much like the moth balls, they smell up the camper shell even though I keep them in sealed plastic bag. Not really certain they work anyway.

I suspect we have not had a problem camping because we are on the move so much. Sooner or later I expect we will set down for a week or two, and so need to have a plan in place to address this rodent issue.

I live in the country near Nashville, TN, but have not had a serious problem at home as of this moment. Not sure why, I do see rats, mice and squirrels now and again.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote