Bicycle Rack on back of 17' Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #1

Name: Ian
Trailer: Escape 17' Plan A
British Columbia
Bicycle Rack on back of 17' Escape

I am looking at a Thule 912XT Roadway 2 bic hitch carrier for the back of my Escape trailer. It weights about 35lb. It also sits too far out from the bumper... so I plan to cut off about 6" to bring the upright close to the bumper. Does anyone have advise on this; or on bic carriers in general that go on the back of a camper trailer. Thanks.
Ian Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I was using a Swagman 2 bike rack that is rated for RV use, and liked it because of the hooks that slide down on the top tube of the bikes. The wheels set in loops. I have since built a rear rack using Thule wheel trays and the Swagman hooks. Thule makes a similar rack as what I built that looks really good. I think it's the 990.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

New York
LOL, here's a good one. We are in a campground in SC. In the next site is a stickie trailer with a rear bike rack. It holds two bikes. It is a piece of plywood on a square tube that is in a receiver. The plywood has slots cut into it for the bike wheels to set in. There is a vertical 2 X 4 in the middle to tie the bikes to. Clever, but doesn't meet my criteria of a sturdy rack. The trailer owner has made some interesting mods inside otherwise, but I'm not impressed with the bike rack!!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Thule Doubletrack 990XT

I've seen Bob's Swagman and talked to him about his planned modifications, which made sense. He's handier than I, so I bought the Thule Doubletrack 990XT from eTrailer for $269. When installed, it fits about as close to the bumper and spare tire as possible. We had another Thule from which the bikes hung down and didn't like it at all. The bikes swung back and forth and beat up each other. The new rack seems to hold them much more stably. eTrailer has a lot of comparisons of virtually all bike racks. A big advantage of the Thule over Swagman is that one key locks the rack to the trailer and each hook on the vertical bar to the rack.
If you look in the problem solving forum about 4 weeks back, there's a lengthy thread on this same topic.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have the Swagman with the hooks that clamp onto the top bar. It has rubbed the paint off where it attaches on two different bikes. I have tried the pool noodle thing for protection, and it does work, but is a pain, and I have had one come loose. Only once have I carried my good mountain bike with a carbon frame on it, only for a day trip with the car, and was fretting about the damage it might cause.

I will be selling it and getting one where the brace clamps onto the tire instead. I really like the offerings from Kuat, though both Thule and Yakima make a pretty good one of this style too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

New York
Thule has the rack that has hooks that clamp on to the wheels. I saw one in a store and it looks good, but we can't use it because our bikes have fenders. woman's LL Bean bike with aftermarket fenders, and a 70's Ross mens 5 speed that has original equipment fenders. Not very valuable bikes, so foam pipe insulation under the hooks works good enough. They are bikes for camping, so we can't get super fussy with them.I bought a Swagman bike bag cover thing to use while traveling. It is actually made for use with the type rack that the bikes hang on. With my rack that the bikes set on I had to cut a hole to put the receiver tube through, so the whole rack is inside the bag. I'm not real impressed with this bag, the zipper has come apart a couple times. I have no doubt that at some point on our trip it will end up in a dumpster, but for now I'll keep using it.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I'm not real impressed with this bag, the zipper has come apart a couple times. I have no doubt that at some point on our trip it will end up in a dumpster, but for now I'll keep using it.
Can you replace the zipper with velcro? I'm thinking about getting a bike bag. What's the "model" of the Swagman you have? Might not want to replicate your experience! TIA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

New York
Donna; not sure of the part or model number, don't have any paperwork on it, but I bought it from Uhaul's online parts store. It's made by Swagman, and is for two bikes. Also I believe etrailer has the same one. Interesting idea about velcro, however the zipper is at least 5 feet long, and can be closed from either end. The opening goes from about the center of the front wheel to center of rear wheel, up over the handle bars, so it is quite long.I'm having some Wifi problems in the campground we are in now, or I would look it up and provide more info for you. It's been hit & miss just to get on this site. Bob
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Bob, I'll go look on the Uhaul site and poke around. If you find more info fine, and if not... that's fine too, truly.

On edit: found it! http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...-Style?id=7819
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #10

New York
The Swagman bike bag on etrailer, part #S82005, is what I have. I bought mine online from Uhaul, think it was cheaper, but can't find it again and don't remember how I found it in the first place. One of those things I just stumbled on. We drove another 3 hours today with no problem with the zipper coming apart so maybe it will hold up. Keep in mind it is made for the racks that have one or two arms that the bikes hang on. I had to cut a hole to use it with my wheel mount rack, but that's typical of me, modify something to fit my need. edit!! Didn't read your edit Donna before this reply, that's there one. And is it cheaper than etrailer?? Uhaul may be free shipping? I've had reasonably good luck buying from them, a couple mistakes that they readily corrected.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #11

Name: Ian
Trailer: Escape 17' Plan A
British Columbia
New Info.

Thanks everyone for your input. I found out the spare tire sits about 6" out from the bumper; and is above the bumper, with the 6 volt batteries on each side. So my Thule 912XT should work, although it will only be going into the receiver about 4".
Ian Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #12

New York
Will all this stuff on the rear be a problem, like mess up the tongue weight?

Tags
escape