Big foot 25B25RQ Hitch height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Big foot 25B25RQ Hitch height

I am leaving for Florida soon and I am taking an old WD hitch with me for the return trip when I pick up my Bigfoot in Denver. I have to keep it simple so I can set it up quickly without fooling with the fiberglass cargo box. I ordered a simple pair of Curt chain brackets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I need to know though is the height of the hitch with a level trailer on level ground. This information will be a big help....Tom C
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I’d make a
Call to Bigfoot and ask. They should know better than anybody.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
This is why on our Oliver they use the Anderson WDH because of the fiberglass on the trailer tongue and no other WDH will work without cutting away some of the fiberglass front panel. I have no idea if the Bigfoot cargo box would be in the way or not, but the Denver Bigfoot should be able to answer this question, or go to the Bigfoot Owner Forum.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #4

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I’d make a
Call to Bigfoot and ask. They should know better than anybody.
Yeah you are right. I am kind of hit or miss when I call manufactures.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #5

Massachusetts
Hmm....evidently my phone plan doesn't cover Canada. Well it is only Cricket I sent an email.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Hmm....evidently my phone plan doesn't cover Canada. Well it is only Cricket I sent an email.
That was quick. Bigfoot emailed back. The Ball height is 26 inches.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
This is why on our Oliver they use the Anderson WDH because of the fiberglass on the trailer tongue and no other WDH will work without cutting away some of the fiberglass front panel. I have no idea if the Bigfoot cargo box would be in the way or not, but the Denver Bigfoot should be able to answer this question, or go to the Bigfoot Owner Forum.

trainman
I am going to put a ProPride on it when I get it home.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I believe you will need to do some trimming on the front cover to install the ProPride side jacks. We had to increase our side openings about 3 inches up. You'll love the ProPride, though!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I believe you will need to do some trimming on the front cover to install the ProPride side jacks. We had to increase our side openings about 3 inches up. You'll love the ProPride, though!
ProPride has an alternative jack system which should make the installation quite clean and easy.

https://store.propridehitch.com/lipp...echnology-kit/

You could also use the chain plates from a Blue Ox with similar results.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...x/BXW4010.html

A member of the forum giro53 from Ontario did a similar installation.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The StrapTek option looks very good! I don't believe they had that available when we bought our ProPride in 2016.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
The StrapTek option looks very good! I don't believe they had that available when we bought our ProPride in 2016.
I looked at the photos of your installation and was turned off of the ProPride. I then searched the whole site looking for any mention of Hensley or ProPride and read the complete search results. I found one mention by giro53 of using a different jack system so I sent him a PM and he was nice enough to reply and send me a few pictures.

I then started searching for alternative chain plates and came up with the Blue Ox parts. At that point I called ProPride to ask if I could use the Blue Ox parts and was informed that they would ship with either the standard jacks or the strap teck system. The only draw back to the strap tek is they only lift. They will not push down so you cannot control the pitch of the hitch as well when you are hooking up. I will have to see if this become a problem.

Your wife's comment on the antitheft properties of the hitch were a big plus for me.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Hitch height on a Bigfoot is pretty tall. I am not sure what your tow vehicle is but most half ton two wheel drive pickups do not have a high enough receiver. Keep in mind that the tongue weight will set the back of your tow vehicle down several inches, even if it has an extra stiff suspension. An "equalizer" hitch will not raise that set down very much. I got into that when I bought my Bigfoot and went to get it in Colorado Springs with a Ford F-150 with the max trailer tow package and the max payload package.

I wound up buying an equalizer hitch at Camping World, setting it at its highest position, purchased a ball with extra height and I still had to find a one inch spacer to put under the ball. I found that spacer at a farm supply store. It was a spacer for some kind of farm implement. That just barely got the trailer level. All and all, running around all over Colorado Springs, a town that I was not familiar with, was a three day ordeal.

Four wheel drive pickups generally set up a little taller. The last truck I towed it with was an F-350 4WD with extra heavy suspension. The trailer still set the back of it down three or four inches. I was able to get rid of the equalizer hitch and tow it with a regular receiver ball but I had to flip it upside down to gain enough height to level the trailer. YOU WANT THE TRAILER TO BE PERFECTLY LEVEL FRONT TO BACK WHEN HOOKED UP AND LOADED. I say all of this to encourage you to get your tow vehicle's hitch height figured out before you go to get the trailer.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Yeah that is my project for tomorrow. The hitch is on the truck now and I have to bring it to the top position to get it to 26 inches. I also learned a lot setting up my equalizer for my current TT. I need to tilt the head down a little so the bars point down a little and give me more range of adjustment.

With my current TT and my equalizer I am able to bring the nose height of the truck right back up to normal. It tows really well. I have a 2019 F-150 max tow max haul.