Bigfoot 19 Tongue Cover Replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Is that a Camco Cover? If yes, Old or new?
It is an older Camco Cover, and is very plain. They've styled up the new ones.
Camco Mfg Inc - 20 lb Heavy Duty Propane Tank Cover - Colonial White - Propane Bottle Covers - Camping World
I can see that the "Bump" you are talking about is at the top. Since each half is the same, the "Bump" is both front and rear.
According to the Camping World site, they offer 2 sizes... the 20# covers are 6" shorter than the 30# covers, but I only ever see the 30# covers when I'm in the store.
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Part of the problem too, other than just age and breakage, there are several different sizes of tongue boxes based on the size of the trailer. For instance, no way would the one on a 21 foot Bigfoot fit a 13 foot Lil Foot.

Have you checked with Mark? Holmes on Bigfoot
Got a e-mail from Mark. He sadly reported that the old Propane/Battery tongue covers are irreplaceable.

I've ran a search on this site and ID'd two other Bigfoot owners needing a replacement cover. Neither person has had any luck.

That leaves me with three options:
  1. some sort of custom made cover
  2. adopting the Camco propane cover to my tongue
  3. painting the tongue area and going bald.
__________________

__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
If someone has a existing cover, a fiberglass reverse mold can be made and then covers made from the mold, not a cheap option but certainly doable.

I had a guy recreate my little mini mustang body.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02205.jpg   untitled.jpg  

__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B. View Post
If someone has a existing cover, a fiberglass reverse mold can be made and then covers made from the mold, not a cheap option but certainly doable.

I had a guy recreate my little mini mustang body.
I have thought of that and tried to contact Bigfoot and Matt to see if they can help me.

Unfortunately, I think that it would be hard to find another late 80s early 90s Bigfoot 19 close to me. And making a mold would cost much more than I am willing to pay.

But thanks for passing along your idea.

BTW neat picture!
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Tongue cover

Bigfoot is back in biz and you could maybe get the tongue cover from them. E-mail them and tell them that you have "this model", "this year", serial number xxxxx and they might be able to make one up for you. The covers are different for each model and sometimes changed year to year, plus B/F does not like having one of their "nose cones" appear on another maker's unit, so they want to be sure that you actually HAVE a B/F. Maybe if you tell them you carry TWO batteries, they might even have a mold for that as well - you never know!

Not sure of cost, but don't expect it to be cheap!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thanks Donna! I feel a lot better after reading your post. My trailer is exposed to direct sun as it sits on it's asphalt pad.

Next week, I'll take the trailer to Camping world and look into the tank covers. If I could add the cover without having to move the tanks, I would minimize the $$$ of this loss.

If the tank cover approach won't work, and I eventually decide to have something custom made ... there is a [possible] silver lining: with all my dry camping, I want to add a 2nd battery. But it is not possible with the old cover. I'm hoping that a newly designed cover and tongue section will allow room for a second battery. That would help increase the value of the trailer on resale, and make dry camping a lot easier.

So, I am still hoping someone on FGRV has experience with a custom made tongue cover.
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Bigfoot is back in biz and you could maybe get the tongue cover from them. E-mail them and tell them that you have "this model", "this year", serial number xxxxx and they might be able to make one up for you. The covers are different for each model and sometimes changed year to year, plus B/F does not like having one of their "nose cones" appear on another maker's unit, so they want to be sure that you actually HAVE a B/F. Maybe if you tell them you carry TWO batteries, they might even have a mold for that as well - you never know!

Not sure of cost, but don't expect it to be cheap!
Thanks for the idea, Dave.

I called Bigfoot Mfg right after I lost the cover. I left a message with my phone number. No response. I'll call again.
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Bigfoot tongue cover

I'd e-mail them - I got a quick response from them when I e-mailed and asked about a new lid for the nosecone on a friend's trailer.

I gave them year, model and ser # along with the need for a new 'lid" and sent it via e-mail. I got an answer back the next day. (by the way, just the lid is $95.00 and they strongly recommend getting a new hinge and the new-style latches as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thanks for the idea, Dave.

I called Bigfoot Mfg right after I lost the cover. I left a message with my phone number. No response. I'll call again.
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I'd e-mail them - I got a quick response from them when I e-mailed and asked about a new lid for the nosecone on a friend's trailer.

I gave them year, model and ser # along with the need for a new 'lid" and sent it via e-mail. I got an answer back the next day. (by the way, just the lid is $95.00 and they strongly recommend getting a new hinge and the new-style latches as well)
Thanks for the info! I'll contact them again.

$95 would be good price - though I hate to see shipping costs.

What year was your friends trailer? I'm still dealing with a '92, so keep your fingers' crossed.
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Bigfoot parts

$95 is just the little ("square") door on the top of the nosecone - not the whole thing!

There is someone on the "parts for sale" section of the board who has a whole nosecone for sale (may not be for your model, but.....)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll contact them again.

$95 would be good price - though I hate to see shipping costs.

What year was your friends trailer? I'm still dealing with a '92, so keep your fingers' crossed.
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Tongue/propane tank cover

Try this link for a whole nosecone in Vancouver, BC asking 250.00

its off a 2003 17footer

sale-8qgfx-2491444312@craigslist.org
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Try this link for a whole nosecone in Vancouver, BC asking 250.00

its off a 2003 17footer

sale-8qgfx-2491444312@craigslist.org
Thanks to your earlier post, I am in contact with the seller. Thank you for all you help and advice. Will let you know how it turns out.

JMP
__________________

__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bigfoot


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Bigfoot Propane Cover mszabo Parts: Buy | Sell | Trade 4 08-15-2012 07:29 AM
WANTED Bigfoot Tongue/Propane Box Cover kathy chamblin Classified Archives 0 01-16-2011 03:54 PM
COVER FOR BIGFOOT ROIDON L Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 07-06-2010 08:24 AM
Molded Fiberglass tongue box lp/battery cover Markz Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 18 05-31-2010 07:58 PM
Tongue Jack Replacement? Parker Buckley Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 12-03-2007 09:06 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.