Bigfoot 19 Tongue Cover Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Question Bigfoot 19 Tongue Cover Replacement

NEED: New Tongue Cover for Bigfoot 19.

Hey everyone, I got a big problem: the original tongue cover for my '92 Bigfoot 19 basically fell apart due to old age and flew off my trailer en route home.

I need to either find something that will fit the front part of the trailer frame, or have something built. I have a call into Bigfoot, but haven'e heard back from them. Somehow, I doubt they can help me.

Any suggestions regarding materials, development of design, etc. would be helpful. I want to cover the two propane tanks and my battery ASAP. Plus there is a cosmetic concern.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
I read that Bigfoot was back in production again, call them again and keep calling until you get through.

Or you could just get the industry standard tank cover and a battery box.

Or you could make or modify a tongue box with an open bottom to cover all that.
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen G View Post
I read that Bigfoot was back in production again, call them again and keep calling until you get through.

Or you could just get the industry standard tank cover and a battery box.

Or you could make or modify a tongue box with an open bottom to cover all that.
I do have a call into Bigfoot, but no response as yet.

What is the battery box industry standard? Do you have any pics/links?

I have the replaceable type propane tanks, and will look into whether they they have covers for those style tanks.

What I'd prefer is to cover the whole area, like Bigfoot has done. But I'd need to use a different material (probably a light metal), and need to think about how I can do it economically and functionally (need to open the cover to take out the tanks or get to the battery).

I'm wondering what other folks who have designed covers for their tongue area have done, and what they'd do to improve upon their designs.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Jane,

I would buy a generic tank cover and a battery box. If the tongue is rusty, it could be painted after clean-up with a wire brush. You could probably get a custom cover made, but it would be expensive. Some Bigfoot motorhome owners have gone to Gilmay for restoration work. It's near the Bigfoot factory and owned by one of the Mayalls.

Gilmay RV
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Hi Jane,

I would buy a generic tank cover and a battery box. If the tongue is rusty, it could be painted after clean-up with a wire brush. You could probably get a custom cover made, but it would be expensive. Some Bigfoot motorhome owners have gone to Gilmay for restoration work. It's near the Bigfoot factory and owned by one of the Mayalls.

Gilmay RV
Thanks for the link to Gilmay. I have a call into them, but they did not call me back. California is too far for a Canadian response.

As I research my options, I fear that this may become a real nightmare: Via other threads, the Camco tank covers have some kind of a bump in the rear, and need to be cut to fit against the trailer. The covers will probably require the tanks be moved forward 2-3 inches. So, I'll need to have a new tray welded to the tong, and I am not sure how that will affect the battery, situated in front of the tanks. These covers require some sort of bungee cord attachment to stay on the trailer while under way.

I will need to take the trailer to CW to see if the are short enough so that they do not interfere with the tongue light.

I do believe that other fiberglass owners have done custom work with Aluminum Sheets. That may turn out the be the least expensive/best solution to this problem. I need to locate some talented college student/retiree who does metal work.

Once again, if anyone has ideas, please submit!!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
It really doesn't have to have a cover. Throw the battery/ies in boxes and strap them down and call it good.

I understand the neat look of a cover is appealing, I wish there was a good solution for a replacement one, there have been several people looking for them over the years and occasionally some one selling one they don't want.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Part of the problem too, other than just age and breakage, there are several different sizes of tongue boxes based on the size of the trailer. For instance, no way would the one on a 21 foot Bigfoot fit a 13 foot Lil Foot.

Have you checked with Mark? Holmes on Bigfoot
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
As far as the Camco tank covers go ....

I believe the cover is tall enough for 30# tanks.

You most likely have 20# tanks. They are shorter then the 30# tanks so the cover will need to be cut down thus removing the "bump".

Once installed use a heavy rubber bungee cord under the tanks to secure the cover. You will need to make 2 holes in the lower lip of the tank cover to hook the bungee to.

Wal-Mart has battery boxes in the automotive section.
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Part of the problem too, other than just age and breakage, there are several different sizes of tongue boxes based on the size of the trailer. For instance, no way would the one on a 21 foot Bigfoot fit a 13 foot Lil Foot.

I emailed Mark yesterday.

I also have a call into Bigfoot. I do agree that the newer boxes probably won't fit. I'm just following through with my research.

Thanks for the info, Donna.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:

You most likely have 20# tanks. They are shorter then the 30# tanks so the cover will need to be cut down thus removing the "bump".

Once installed use a heavy rubber bungee cord under the tanks to secure the cover. You will need to make 2 holes in the lower lip of the tank cover to hook the bungee to.

Wal-Mart has battery boxes in the automotive section.

My battery is already in a box. I think that I have the 30 LB tanks. I'm planning to go by Home Depot to check on that.

I will need to bring the trailer to Campers World to see if the covers will fit. There are two size Camco propane covers: one for a 20 Lb tank, the other for a 30 Lb tank. Once I'm satisfied that the tanks will fit in one of them, the fun will begin with respect to fitting the covers/tanks on the trailer's tongue section.

I'm still thinking that building a tongue box from aluminum sheets may be the best solution. But need to find someone who could do the work reliably (and economically).

Liz has a valid point. But my question: Is it safe to allow the tanks to be exposed to direct (summer) sunlight?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jane, I'm guessing a large majority of the molded trailers don't have covers over the propane. Seems like most have the batteries in a battery box though. My 23 year old Scamp has always had an exposed propane tank....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:

Once installed use a heavy rubber bungee cord under the tanks to secure the cover.
Yes, the Camco Propane Tank Covers are tall enough for 30# tanks. I once called Casita about their shorter covers. "We just cut the regular covers shorter" they said. I also have a tall all-thread rod between the tanks that holds the regulator and clamp. I just drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of the cover so that my rod pokes through, and one washer and one nut later, the cover is securely fastened.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1088.jpg   000_1089.jpg  

Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Yes, the Camco Propane Tank Covers are tall enough for 30# tanks. I once called Casita about their shorter covers. "We just cut the regular covers shorter" they said. I also have a tall all-thread rod between the tanks that holds the regulator and clamp. I just drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of the cover so that my rod pokes through, and one washer and one nut later, the cover is securely fastened.
Thanks for the picture Frederick. Is that a Camco Cover? If yes, Old or new? If not, what make?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #14

Thanks Donna! I feel a lot better after reading your post. My trailer is exposed to direct sun as it sits on it's asphalt pad.

Next week, I'll take the trailer to Camping world and look into the tank covers. If I could add the cover without having to move the tanks, I would minimize the $$$ of this loss.

If the tank cover approach won't work, and I eventually decide to have something custom made ... there is a [possible] silver lining: with all my dry camping, I want to add a 2nd battery. But it is not possible with the old cover. I'm hoping that a newly designed cover and tongue section will allow room for a second battery. That would help increase the value of the trailer on resale, and make dry camping a lot easier.

So, I am still hoping someone on FGRV has experience with a custom made tongue cover.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Is that a Camco Cover? If yes, Old or new?
It is an older Camco Cover, and is very plain. They've styled up the new ones.
Camco Mfg Inc - 20 lb Heavy Duty Propane Tank Cover - Colonial White - Propane Bottle Covers - Camping World
I can see that the "Bump" you are talking about is at the top. Since each half is the same, the "Bump" is both front and rear.
According to the Camping World site, they offer 2 sizes... the 20# covers are 6" shorter than the 30# covers, but I only ever see the 30# covers when I'm in the store.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Got a e-mail from Mark. He sadly reported that the old Propane/Battery tongue covers are irreplaceable.

I've ran a search on this site and ID'd two other Bigfoot owners needing a replacement cover. Neither person has had any luck.

That leaves me with three options:
  1. some sort of custom made cover
  2. adopting the Camco propane cover to my tongue
  3. painting the tongue area and going bald.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
If someone has a existing cover, a fiberglass reverse mold can be made and then covers made from the mold, not a cheap option but certainly doable.

I had a guy recreate my little mini mustang body.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02205.jpg   untitled.jpg  

Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B. View Post
If someone has a existing cover, a fiberglass reverse mold can be made and then covers made from the mold, not a cheap option but certainly doable.

I had a guy recreate my little mini mustang body.
I have thought of that and tried to contact Bigfoot and Matt to see if they can help me.

Unfortunately, I think that it would be hard to find another late 80s early 90s Bigfoot 19 close to me. And making a mold would cost much more than I am willing to pay.

But thanks for passing along your idea.

BTW neat picture!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Tongue cover

Bigfoot is back in biz and you could maybe get the tongue cover from them. E-mail them and tell them that you have "this model", "this year", serial number xxxxx and they might be able to make one up for you. The covers are different for each model and sometimes changed year to year, plus B/F does not like having one of their "nose cones" appear on another maker's unit, so they want to be sure that you actually HAVE a B/F. Maybe if you tell them you carry TWO batteries, they might even have a mold for that as well - you never know!

Not sure of cost, but don't expect it to be cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thanks Donna! I feel a lot better after reading your post. My trailer is exposed to direct sun as it sits on it's asphalt pad.

Next week, I'll take the trailer to Camping world and look into the tank covers. If I could add the cover without having to move the tanks, I would minimize the $$$ of this loss.

If the tank cover approach won't work, and I eventually decide to have something custom made ... there is a [possible] silver lining: with all my dry camping, I want to add a 2nd battery. But it is not possible with the old cover. I'm hoping that a newly designed cover and tongue section will allow room for a second battery. That would help increase the value of the trailer on resale, and make dry camping a lot easier.

So, I am still hoping someone on FGRV has experience with a custom made tongue cover.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Bigfoot is back in biz and you could maybe get the tongue cover from them. E-mail them and tell them that you have "this model", "this year", serial number xxxxx and they might be able to make one up for you. The covers are different for each model and sometimes changed year to year, plus B/F does not like having one of their "nose cones" appear on another maker's unit, so they want to be sure that you actually HAVE a B/F. Maybe if you tell them you carry TWO batteries, they might even have a mold for that as well - you never know!

Not sure of cost, but don't expect it to be cheap!
Thanks for the idea, Dave.

I called Bigfoot Mfg right after I lost the cover. I left a message with my phone number. No response. I'll call again.

Tags
bigfoot