BigFoot 5th Wheel Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody 1999
I have just bought a 21ft BigFoot 5th wheel and am really excited about it but what I had intended to pull it with may not work out. I was planning on getting either a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier 4 liter 6 cyl 4WD. Now I'm hearing that the composite material the truck bed is made from can't take a 5th wheel hitch and also that the 6 ft bed is too short.

Anyone have any suggestions for a tow vehicle or the type of 5th wheel hitch to use?
Nancy A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
I have just bought a 21ft BigFoot 5th wheel and am really excited about it but what I had intended to pull it with may not work out. I was planning on getting either a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier 4 liter 6 cyl 4WD. Now I'm hearing that the composite material the truck bed is made from can't take a 5th wheel hitch and also that the 6 ft bed is too short.

Anyone have any suggestions for a tow vehicle or the type of 5th wheel hitch to use?
Yikes, you bring up a pretty good point! I do have a 2002 Nissan Frontier (and I LOVE it) and while I'm looking for a bumper-pull, I'm not ruling out a good deal on a 5th wheel. I'd better have a look at my truck's manual!

Other than that, I don't have any good advice for you. Where are you hearing the info? Perhaps you can ping some of the Nissan and Tacoma forums.

By the way, I absolutely love my new-to-me Frontier. Comfortable seats in front, not TOO bad in back, handles beautifully and looks good too. (I have the crew cab long bed like the one in the link below)
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2002/niss...irst_drive.html
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

We towed our Bigfoot 5th wheel with a 2005 Toyota Tundra crew cab short box pickup with a Hi-Jacker pivoting side to side and back and forth. THAT is the important thing so you don't hit your truck.
Good luck.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations Nancy! Be sure you know the real weight of the 5th, don't believe the sticker! There is NO way I would try to tow one with a 4 cyl. And as mentioned you will want a slider hitch for a short bed. I highly recommend the Super Glide, very pricey new but can be found used.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel (by Contempo)
For our 17' Quantum 5 we have been using a Jeep Comanche (our fourth comanche overall) and they are awesome. From the cab forward, all parts are shared with the Cherokee. Solid axles all around, 4wd, stout transmissions and transfer cases, and of course the nearly unbreakable 4.0 I6.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02189.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	29632

We also just upgraded to a 98 Dodge Dakota 2wd extended cab with the 5.2 v8, and that will be the new tow vehicle. Properly equiped, they have massive towing capacities. We love the midsize/compact size, long wheelbase, and low bed height of both trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02199.JPG   8_29_09_camera_dump_290.jpg  

8_29_09_camera_dump_291.jpg   8_29_09_camera_dump_292.jpg  

Merlin Klotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Registry
Merlin, I love your Quantum. Have you ever posted pictures of the inside? I don't remember seeing any.

Quantums are quite a bit smaller and lighter than Bigfoot 5th. Bigfoot 5th don't really fall into the "lightweight" category. In real life they are quite a bit heavier than the "sticker" weight (as are most fiberglass trailers).
Old 07-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Merlin, I love your Quantum. Have you ever posted pictures of the inside? I don't remember seeing any.

Quantums are quite a bit smaller and lighter than Bigfoot 5th. Bigfoot 5th don't really fall into the "lightweight" category. In real life they are quite a bit heavier than the "sticker" weight (as are most fiberglass trailers).

Just found this site yesterday while looking for any info about the trailer I could find. Turns out, people on this board are the only people on the net that seem to have any idea what a Quantum is... we have owned it for 2 years now, and before yesterday had no idea what we were sitting on. I posted a few interior pics in my intro thread in one of the other areas of the forum. I can grab some other pics as well, if anyone would like to see more.

The Comanche's are fun little trucks with amazing capabilities. The ones with a Metric Ton package came with a dana44 rear end and upgraded springs that gave it a payload capacity of 2,205 lbs (for reference, a 2010 F150 has payloads ranging from 1500-1900)
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Merlin, there's been some debate in the past about whether the Quantum is a molded trailer. Looks like the roof and end caps are, but not the main part of the body. The side panels appear to be fiberglass panels with seams (aka stickie). So, maybe that's why we don't have a number of members since this is an all molded fiberglass forum. I'm not running you off, truly... just trying to explain the (perhaps) lack of participation by owners.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:

Rather than give up on your dream truck I would check with a good trailer hitch dealer and see what he says. I think they can reenforce the bed from the frame up and the hitch will install on the support bypassing any danger of messing up the bed, good luck
Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Merlin, there's been some debate in the past about whether the Quantum is a molded trailer. Looks like the roof and end caps are, but not the main part of the body. The side panels appear to be fiberglass panels with seams (aka stickie). So, maybe that's why we don't have a number of members since this is an all molded fiberglass forum. I'm not running you off, truly... just trying to explain the (perhaps) lack of participation by owners.

Not running me off at all, actually the opposite. I signed up specifically because this is litterally the only site on the entire internet (that I have found) that has anyone who even knows what a quantum is, and is the only place that has any information on them at all.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody 1999
Success In Bigfoot Tow Vehicle

I just completed a 2200 mi tow from WA to AZ with my new Bigfoot 5th wheel.

I wound up getting a Nissan Frontier V6 4L 4WD crew cab that had a custom install done for a Draw-Tite 5th wheel hitch - not the sliding kind but it is situated just in front of the rear axle and gives plenty of room when turning. I also had a brake controller installed.

It tows like a dream even though I ran over a few curbs while turning. I drove down US 395 with some pretty heavy climbing and the truck did great.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Nancy A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #12

Registry
Congratulations Nancy! Now we need pictures! Did you buy from a forum member?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Did you get that gorgeous one that was at the car dealer in WA for the last few months?
I almost pulled the trigger on that one.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot