bigfoot axle and spring replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #15

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Ahhh geez sorry Jeff. I didn't see you post until today. Don't know what's wrong with Standens they where very accomodating for me. My long story is I was in Yuma AZ when I was looking for the springs. Standens said they had them in stock in their warehouse in Vancouver and one of their US distributors (Gittspring Auburn Washington) came up weekly to get springs and they would see that he picked mine up an took them back to Auburn and forward them to me in Yuma. I had them in about 4 days couldn't beat that for service.
The springs I got where UT 1255. Right now installed on the trailer they are 25 3/4 center to center. The eyes on the mount pads on the frame are 24 1/2 C/C. The springs are 5 leaf which was one of the resons I replaced with the same springs. Most others I found where 4 leaf.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Whew, I was getting confused. First I hear springs, then someone posted about the bend in the middle (torsion)... gad, who's on first? I hope the OP is following and getting the correct information. BTW: most BIG cities have spring shops. If you can get the measurements you need, it's entirely possible you can find what you need locally. Don't forget you need bushings and new shackles (for springs)

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Whew, I was getting confused. First I hear springs, then someone posted about the bend in the middle (torsion)... gad, who's on first? I hope the OP is following and getting the correct information. BTW: most BIG cities have spring shops. If you can get the measurements you need, it's entirely possible you can find what you need locally. Don't forget you need bushings and new shackles (for springs)
Really, What part do you not understand. Both springs and axle camber where part of the OPs discussion. Don't know where torsion came from
Old 03-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #18

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
Thanks Lyle.
The measurements of the leaf spring sound like the ones I bought. I'm really thinking the trailer is the problem. Ill check the spring mounts this week end. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #19

British Columbia
It may be possible that a previous owner ran into the same problem of sourcing springs and moved the mount on the frame to fit the springs they bought. Like I said previously I was very happy with the way the original springs performed other than one started to sag. I am happy with the replacements. They have about 3000 miles on them. I think the key is the 5 leaf construction rather than the four leaf of regular utility trailer springs. They provide a better rebound rate.

Tags
axle, bigfoot