Bigger axle needed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
The hgt ground to frame for Escondido Burro was 14", Den. My trailer is at 13-1/2" but I added an inch in diameter to tires when I changed to 14" (1/2" additional hgt from the increase in radius axle center to ground so say it's down about an inch from original. I think yours has lost more of its throw than mine but it's a Sac City so I have no knowledge of the original clearance. Definitely look for the name plate on the back in the axle center.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Name: Den
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17
I found the axle plate on the front end of the axle near the wheel opposite of the curb side. Can't read it though, either while under there or in picture.

I used a scrubby to clean it off. Seems like the black paint has flaked off and it is quite rusted over right where I need to see it. What I can read suggests that the middle of the second line start with "CAP" and should be followed by the numbers I am looking for. I ran this photo through various brightness and contrast levels in photoshop but still couldn't bring it out.

Is there any liquid that might minimize the rust to enable reading it?

Probably doesn't matter, since the clearance is even lower than I imagined in a practical sense. It was all I could do to get under it as it is quite low and the axle is old. Even if it is over 2000 lbs. capacity, it needs replacing. Maybe should do it sooner rather than later, especially if Dexter is leaving the scene.
Attached Thumbnails
burro axel plate.jpg  

kcburro is online now   Reply With Quote