Bike rack queations? Yeah i know........ - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS30 View Post
Thomas G. Do you have a link to point me into the direction of bikes being mounted above the propane tanks? I would like to see it as my brother is looking for bike hauling methods.
This may be what your looking for?...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0044.JPG   DSCF0045.JPG  

DSCF0046.JPG   scamp pictures 006.jpg  

scamp pictures 001.jpg   scamp pictures 013.jpg  

Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I think Floyd's setup is great, but just check for clearance - a Ranger is not very wide, and Floyd has the Flare side (narrower box with protruding fenders) so it is particularly narrow at the rear. Too much tug width combined with bikes too close means damage. His bikes on his trailer hitched to my van would likely smash out the van's tail lights in a tight turn.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think Floyd's setup is great, but just check for clearance - a Ranger is not very wide, and Floyd has the Flare side (narrower box with protruding fenders) so it is particularly narrow at the rear. Too much tug width combined with bikes too close means damage. His bikes on his trailer hitched to my van would likely smash out the van's tail lights in a tight turn.
Should work for any normal sized vehicle. I measured my neighbor's oversized Dodge today and it is 7 inches wider than my Escape at the taillights. That's 3-1/2" wider per side. Unless you are careless enough to actually jack-knife, there is plenty of clearance.
Still ,as with any custom modification, It is prudent to check for clearances and allow for them.Even when fitting oversized tires or offset rims. I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to emulate my design without a tape measure.
The pictures were taken at an extreme angle, in order to show what clearances can be accomplished, wish you could see it in person.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #18

Name: Ryan
Trailer: SCAMP
Kentucky
Floyd , trust me I am not the kinda guy who jumps in willy nilly, if I where to to try and duplicate your rack I am sure it would differ in several ways. I am not one who believes in every post to be gospel, and set in stone across the board. I understand that there are many many variables, whe it comes to custom modifications. I personally think that you nailed it! Your design is great, it seems to work great for you and that's all that matters. Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics !