Bike rack queations? Yeah i know........ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: SCAMP
Kentucky
Bike rack queations? Yeah i know........

Ok I haven't tried it yet but my question is this? My 96 16' Scamp had a previous owner who was very in-tune with it, he had it maintained perfectly, and even took it back
To the factory to have it gone thru last year. While there he had them install a bike rack. The rack is a very nice rack, the job they did was beautiful! But upon my investigating I was reading in the owners manual that it said to not use and rack on the trailer, that it was not designed for the use of one. And also in the owners manual of the rack it states that its is not to be used on a trailer also. So
My question is why would a company who builds the trailer and says not to do it , not only offer a bike rack when ordering a new one but also install one on a previously owned one, also with a rack that states it is not to be used on a trailer? Not trying to beat a dead horse, but if I didn't read the fine print and also all the threads on here about it, I never would have known. Has anybody has any luck using the racks?
LRS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
It might be something as simple as a Liability concern and the OEM doesnt want to be sued or there have been issues in the past with mounting on unknown frames as there are too many variables. I will be beefing up my trailer frame with some additional bracing. Im sure there will be lots of replies. I carry a 4 bike frame on my car and will need a place for at least two bikes on occasion.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Extra weight on the back can under certain conditions induce sway. Your mission, should you accept it, is to load your trailer so as to minimize sway.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Kentucky
I'm a daring sole from time to time with scar's and T-shirts to prove it. I figure if I take the weight of the 2 bikes and then us that amount to act as a ballast towards the front. And then secure them as to keep side to side movement to a min. I may still try it . And if I get some sway I will
Just simply move the bikes to the bed of the truck. I really was posting this just to get some
Other people's thoughts on the subject. I'm sure it's just a CYA statement from the lawyers. Lol
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Extra weight on the back can under certain conditions induce sway. Your mission, should you accept it, is to load your trailer so as to minimize sway.
In your opinion only based upon all the chatting on the WDH thread would that be taken care of with a correctly selected WDH or do you think that sway would still be an issue. Just a question and wont hold you to it (unless you are filthy rich)
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I believe the answer may be that Scamp doesn't want folks to buy an after market bike rack and just bolt it on the back bumper or frame. The frame can't handle the stress. When Scamp puts the hitch/rack on, they reinforce the frame of the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
In your opinion only based upon all the chatting on the WDH thread would that be taken care of with a correctly selected WDH or do you think that sway would still be an issue. Just a question and wont hold you to it (unless you are filthy rich)
I'd want to set it up so that it didn't sway with no sway bar and leave the sway bar for the extreme occurrences like a panic stop or sudden side wind gusts. Mounting the bikes on the front over the propane bottle seems like a preferable method. I think that Floyd came up with something clever along those lines.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Kentucky
Thomas G. Do you have a link to point me into the direction of bikes being mounted above the propane tanks? I would like to see it as my brother is looking for bike hauling methods.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #9

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I believe the answer may be that Scamp doesn't want folks to buy an after market bike rack and just bolt it on the back bumper or frame. The frame can't handle the stress. When Scamp puts the hitch/rack on, they reinforce the frame of the trailer.
True mine is installed from scamp and it is a class 3 hitch extremely over kill for a couple of bike but I am a big fan of overkill lol. It's a very nice job I'm not knocking it. I just thought it was interesting that in there manual it states not to do it but then they offer it as a option. And the one they chose to install is also recommended to
Not be used on a trailer. Do 2 wrongs make a right? Lol
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS30 View Post
Thomas G. Do you have a link to point me into the direction of bikes being mounted above the propane tanks? I would like to see it as my brother is looking for bike hauling methods.
Second post in thread. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post261232
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I figure if I take the weight of the 2 bikes and then us that amount to act as a ballast towards the front.
You will have then created a trailer with the centre of mass (average location of stuff) in the same place, and thus the same tongue weight, but more distributed out toward the ends... which is less stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
In your opinion only based upon all the chatting on the WDH thread would that be taken care of with a correctly selected WDH or do you think that sway would still be an issue.
Shifting load from the tug's rear axle to the tugs's front axle and the trailer axle (which is what a WDH does) doesn't help sway at all - it fundamentally makes it worse. As side effects, WDH systems also interfere with movement of the tug-trailer joint - this is usually referred to as something like "stiffening the connection" - which typically does reduce sway, as many members of this forum have explained from the own experience.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My rack is a swagman xp, and it's rated for camper use. I'm going to double up the frame rails when I put my hitch on.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I'm not Tom, but Floyd's solution is post #5 here, I posted #4
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-57381.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You will have then created a trailer with the centre of mass (average location of stuff) in the same place, and thus the same tongue weight, but more distributed out toward the ends... which is less stable.

Andrew posted a great link to an on line stability game that you can play around with to see what moving things around in the trailer does in regards to its stability.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
This may be what your looking for?...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0044.JPG   DSCF0045.JPG  

DSCF0046.JPG   scamp pictures 006.jpg  

scamp pictures 001.jpg   scamp pictures 013.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think Floyd's setup is great, but just check for clearance - a Ranger is not very wide, and Floyd has the Flare side (narrower box with protruding fenders) so it is particularly narrow at the rear. Too much tug width combined with bikes too close means damage. His bikes on his trailer hitched to my van would likely smash out the van's tail lights in a tight turn.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think Floyd's setup is great, but just check for clearance - a Ranger is not very wide, and Floyd has the Flare side (narrower box with protruding fenders) so it is particularly narrow at the rear. Too much tug width combined with bikes too close means damage. His bikes on his trailer hitched to my van would likely smash out the van's tail lights in a tight turn.
Should work for any normal sized vehicle. I measured my neighbor's oversized Dodge today and it is 7 inches wider than my Escape at the taillights. That's 3-1/2" wider per side. Unless you are careless enough to actually jack-knife, there is plenty of clearance.
Still ,as with any custom modification, It is prudent to check for clearances and allow for them.Even when fitting oversized tires or offset rims. I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to emulate my design without a tape measure.
The pictures were taken at an extreme angle, in order to show what clearances can be accomplished, wish you could see it in person.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #18

Kentucky
Floyd , trust me I am not the kinda guy who jumps in willy nilly, if I where to to try and duplicate your rack I am sure it would differ in several ways. I am not one who believes in every post to be gospel, and set in stone across the board. I understand that there are many many variables, whe it comes to custom modifications. I personally think that you nailed it! Your design is great, it seems to work great for you and that's all that matters. Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics !