Blow out on the freeway - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Tires

I've been told to replace tires on boat and RV trailers about every 3-4 years down here in sunny hot humid Florida . My Snoozy is a 2013 and Boat trailer is an 2009 with now new tires .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #42

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Blow out on the freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
Have you checked the speed rating of those tires? Many trailer tires are rated for 60 mph-
sometimes I see campers and other trailers zipping past on the freeway, only to see that same vehicle pulled over later with a flat. They are not the same as car tires- they heat up at 65 mph...
That being said, you have already learned that patch kits and fix-a-flat don't work when your whole sidewall is gone...

Good grief, not this again...trailer tires are not rated FOR 65 mph, they're rated AT 65 mph, big difference. Contact the manufacturer to see what speed they're rated FOR. Almost all are rated for at least 75, many to 85, following proper guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #43

Kansas
Blow out on the freeway

I carry two spares at all times. I've never needed it for the camper, but the car trailer likes to eat tires.

I don't believe in push in plugs. The only proper fix is a rubber plug/patch combo. As such, I see no reason to carry an air source.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #44

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Denny maybe just get a spare donut tire from a junk yard that way alot smaller for storage Not good idea mixing tire types I know most new small cars dont have spares anymore We have a radial spare but I might take my own advice and put a donut tire for spare easier for storage
When I did the axle last year on my Scamp and went from 4 to 5 lugs I had to get three new rims/tires. Light bulb went off and I went through my stash o' crap and found a donut spare that came from who-knows-where but ended up in one of my sheds and it fit! It looks swell under the Scamp cover on the back of the trailer so I only had to buy two brand new tires and rims.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #45

Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
California
While we're on the subject, can anyone give me the brand name of a good 13" trailer tire for my 1978 Trillium that would readily be available in southern California? I had to have passenger tires put on her to get her home when I bought her, because Big Brand Tires told me there is no such thing as a 13" trailer tire. I know this is not true!! If I get a couple of brand names from you good folks, I'll start calling around. The consensus is about 50-50 regarding use of passenger tires vs. trailer tires on a trailer as light as the Trillium, but somehow I think I'll feel safer with trailer tires!
Jane in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #46

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use Hercules trailer tires.
Dealer Locator | Hercules Tires
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #47
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My Trillium came with Carlisle Radial Trail. When they wore out I replaced them with the same.

Tires

Perhaps Big Brand Tires will mount them for you. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Good grief, not this again...trailer tires are not rated FOR 65 mph, they're rated AT 65 mph, big difference. Contact the manufacturer to see what speed they're rated FOR. Almost all are rated for at least 75, many to 85, following proper guidelines.

I personally do NOT care if my trailer tires are rated for/ at 65 mph or 165 mph
I have no intentions of driving while towing at any speed much above 60 mph
I am old ,retired and in no hurry to get anywhere.
I am a curmudgeon and enjoying every minute of it!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #49

Kansas
Blow out on the freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I personally do NOT care if my trailer tires are rated for/ at 65 mph or 165 mph

I have no intentions of driving while towing at any speed much above 60 mph

I am old ,retired and in no hurry to get anywhere.

I am a curmudgeon and enjoying every minute of it!

I have no issue with that, drive whatever speed you're comfortable with, that's your right.

I'm tired of the people that keep acting like trailer tires automatically blow up at 66mph, causing you to kill a bus load of nuns, after it's been repeatedly proven incorrect info.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eed-60303.html

My current tires are Hercules, it'll be them or maxxis next time. I was going to get maxxis this time, but couldn't get them before a trip.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #50

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I have no issue with that, drive what you're comfortable with.

I'm tired of the people that keep acting like trailer tires automatically blow up at 66mph, causing you to kill a bus load of nuns, after it's been repeatedly proven incorrect info.

I am tired of individuals who drive at speeds over the posted speed limit ,weaving through traffic and taking out their aggressions, on people who choose to follow the law. I often receive the one finger salute when driving at the posted speed limit in the right lane. Luckily I am not sensitive to their childish displays of immaturity. Neither one of us is going change human behaviour
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #51

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane in California View Post
While we're on the subject, can anyone give me the brand name of a good 13" trailer tire for my 1978 Trillium that would readily be available in southern California? I had to have passenger tires put on her to get her home when I bought her, because Big Brand Tires told me there is no such thing as a 13" trailer tire. I know this is not true!! If I get a couple of brand names from you good folks, I'll start calling around. The consensus is about 50-50 regarding use of passenger tires vs. trailer tires on a trailer as light as the Trillium, but somehow I think I'll feel safer with trailer tires!
Goodyear "Marathon" is another one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #52

Quote:
I have no issue with that, drive whatever speed you're comfortable with, that's your right.

My current tires are Hercules, it'll be them or maxxis next time. I was going to get maxxis this time, but couldn't get them before a trip.

Jared, I have followed extensive discussions on rv.net and the consensus there was that Maxxis and Goodyear's Marathon are the only ST (trailer) tires anyone was aware of which allowed for safe travel at up to 75 mph, and those only with increased inflation pressure (beyond the max stated on sidewall). If you have knowledge of additional brands with stated ability to safely exceed 65 mph, I'd love to know about them.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #53

Quote:

Jared, I have followed extensive discussions on rv.net and the consensus there was that Maxxis and Goodyear's Marathon are the only ST (trailer) tires anyone was aware of which allowed for safe travel at higher speeds, and those only with increased inflation pressure (beyond the max stated on sidewall). If you have knowledge of additional brands with stated ability to safely exceed 65 mph, I'd love to know about them.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #54

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
I'd like to know what brands are rated for 70-80 mph as well. I'm not retired and am always in a hurry I'll replace what's on my ParkLiner with the better tire if mine aren't up to the task.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #55

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I carry two spares at all times. I've never needed it for the camper, but the car trailer likes to eat tires.

I don't believe in push in plugs. The only proper fix is a rubber plug/patch combo. As such, I see no reason to carry an air source.

. I used good plugs in fleet service for decades, with nothing but excellent results.
I carry a plug kit and a small compressor and I even carry a can of fix-a-flat, both of which I have used it to help others stuck in traffic on occasion.
Heck, if you are planning to throw your tires away every 36 months anyway...???
We have only had one flat in the last thirty years... that was on our TV last year and it was a road hazard on a dark and rainy night in an Alabama construction zone! The spare was required and I must say that I was glad it was on the side away from traffic!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
I'd like to know what brands are rated for 70-80 mph as well. I'm not retired and am always in a hurry I'll replace what's on my ParkLiner with the better tire if mine aren't up to the task.
My KDWs were rated for 145MPH, other factors pretty much kept me from driving anywhere near that speed ...(At least most of the time!)
There are plenty of reasons other than tires to keep your speed sanity when towing!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #57

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Jared, I have followed extensive discussions on rv.net and the consensus there was that Maxxis and Goodyear's Marathon are the only ST (trailer) tires anyone was aware of which allowed for safe travel at higher speeds, and those only with increased inflation pressure (beyond the max stated on sidewall). If you have knowledge of additional brands with stated ability to safely exceed 65 mph, I'd love to know about them.

I would never run over max sidewall pressure. They have to be ran 10psi over the load pressure to get to 75 mph. To get to 85 mph, you add 10 psi to the load pressure and derate the weight by 10% (manufacturer allowing). If I put my tires at max sidewall pressure, they would be good to 85, with an easy 1,000 pounds more weight than is there.

Hercules and gremax also said it was allowed. I would personally never run marathons to start with, but that's just me.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #58

Kansas
Blow out on the freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
. I used good plugs in fleet service for decades, with nothing but excellent results.
I carry a plug kit and a small compressor and I even carry a can of fix-a-flat, both of which I have used it to help others stuck in traffic on occasion.
Heck, if you are planning to throw your tires away every 36 months anyway...???
We have only had one flat in the last thirty years... that was on our TV last year and it was a road hazard on a dark and rainy night in an Alabama construction zone! The spare was required and I must say that I was glad it was on the side away from traffic!

Each to their own. There is no such thing as a good cloth plug, in my book. They can allow belts to rust out, and tire plies to bubble, depending on where they deal. Both situations cause tread separation, leading to a complete blowout.

I changed a lot of blowouts that the customer said they had plugged awhile ago. I'm not a scientist, but I NEVER found the plug in the remaining tread. They were also the cause of many slow leaks.

I consider any tire I acquire with a cloth plug to be junk on sight. It's not worth it to me. I've had tire shops try to squeak them by, after I told them not to. They got to do it again while I watched, since the trust was gone. It takes all of 15 minutes to do it the right way, 30 if I do it myself at home.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #59

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Is any company making "run-flat" trailer tires like they do for cars?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Each to their own. There is no such thing as a good cloth plug, in my book. They can allow belts to rust out, and tire plies to bubble, depending on where they deal. Both situations cause tread separation, leading to a complete blowout.

I changed a lot of blowouts that the customer said they had plugged awhile ago. I'm not a scientist, but I NEVER found the plug in the remaining tread. They were also the cause of many slow leaks.

I consider any tire I acquire with a cloth plug to be junk on sight. It's not worth it to me. I've had tire shops try to squeak them by, after I told them not to. They got to do it again while I watched, since the trust was gone. It takes all of 15 minutes to do it the right way, 30 if I do it myself at home.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

As you almost said... To each his own...I am not advocating plugs necessarily, but I do think there is a legitimate use for every tool in the box. Try demounting a tire on the expressway when the minispare has been flat for years. Insulted belts are more prone to failure , no matter how you fix the flat.
Much of what you say is at least based on good information,but circumstances can call for measured judgement and generalities are of course, always false!
There are about a hundred new cars on the market which come with no spare at all, a couple have run-flat tires and the rest have solutions which would likely curl your hair!
Here is one example which has been around for a while now and it is by no means the only solution used by the manufacturers.

Some of the repairs are permanent, some are emergency only. often a plug and a compressor could be a MUCH safer solution than changing a tire in traffic... and to some folks, the price of a tow truck would be devastating. There are few absolutes left in this world and most of them are rejected without prejudice.

Here is a partial list of new cars without spares...
Acura RLX
Audi TT
Buick LaCrosse
Cadillac CTS
Cadillac SRX
Cadillac XTS
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Malibu
Chevrolet Spark
Chevrolet Volt
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Dart
Fiat 500
Ford C-Max
Ford Focus
Ford Fusion
Ford Mustang
Honda Accord
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Sonata
Hyundai Veloster
Infiniti G
Kia Forte
Kia Rio
Kia Soul
Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Nissan Leaf
Porsche 911
Porsche Boxster
Porsche Panamera
Scion iQ
Smart ForTwo
Toyota Prius
Volvo C70
Volvo S60
Keep in mind that the list is growing. Some models, such as the Kia Optima that came with a spare tire and aren’t on the list, now come with just an inflator kit.

Oddly enough, I have found that most steel belt failures are not caused by corrosion in a repair but rather by repeated stationary steering.

(sort of the severe "Dutch rub" of tires)