Blow out on the freeway - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #71

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
For me it's the difference of one day on the road, or two. That's two less days of camping on an already short trip.

I couldn't care less how much gas is used, if it means two more laid back days in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #72

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Can also be costly in those States/Provinces that have restrictive speed limits when towing & many do!

Will cost you anywhere between $140 to $483 in these parts if caught speeding, depending on how much over the limit you where going - oh and we have a drivers licence points system as well. Each speeding ticket is a min. of 3 points - first three points are a freebie but if you get another ticket of any kind in a 5 year period you will get a bill on the anniversary date of your drivers licence. The cost per year for your drivers licence is $300 if you have had two speeding tickets within the past 5 years. The more tickets you have had the more you pay! For example 4 speeding tickets over a 5 year period will cost you an extra $1260 a year to keep your drivers licence. It takes 5 years from date of offence to get rid of the points and stop paying every year for them. If getting up into the 20 points range you are gong to be paying about $4000 to year for your licence each year.

Thats a lot of gas money wasted!! For what? Getting to a campsite an hour or so ahead of your friends?
WOW! Why don't they just shoot you!
Sounds like a good reason to stay out of foreign countries!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #73

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
For me it's the difference of one day on the road, or two. That's two less days of camping on an already short trip.

I couldn't care less how much gas is used, if it means two more laid back days in the woods.

Luckily, most RV trailer accidents are single car wrecks.
The real secret to making good time on a trip is to stay on the road.
At 60MPH I have often been passed by the same duck waddling trailer 4 or five time in a day on the highway!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #74

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Luckily, most RV trailer accidents are single car wrecks.
The real secret to making good time on a trip is to stay on the road.
At 60MPH I have often been passed by the same duck waddling trailer 4 or five time in a day on the highway!

More than a few people on here tow campers with the other vehicle I have, that I consider adequate for light 4x8 trailers only. In fact, that's why I have the fifth wheel. I originally looked at these so I could use my car. I decided a 500 lb trailer was enough in side winds, no way even a 13' would have been safe with my car. Since I had to use the pickup anyway, might as well get the bigger camper.

My pickup at 75 is one of the safer setups on here, I'm not worried about it. How many people on here are towing with passenger tires, on stock brakes, 15 year old brake hoses, and the original fluid?

I have high grade grooved and drilled rotors, stainless jacketed Teflon brake hoses, carbon fiber ceramic pads, fresh synthetic brake fluid, and 10 ply load range e tires on the pickup and trailer. I'm also not even close to half of my tow capacity.

Also, my trailers never waddle, without a wd hitch or away protection. Why? I load them right and don't use bandaids.

I'm done with the thread hijack and self righteous attitudes, that's why I stayed off the board the first time. I should have learned.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #75

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Is your solution that those who have opinions that differ from yours cease posting?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #76

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
More than a few people on here tow campers with the other vehicle I have, that I consider adequate for light 4x8 trailers only. In fact, that's why I have the fifth wheel. I originally looked at these so I could use my car. I decided a 500 lb trailer was enough in side winds, no way even a 13' would have been safe with my car. Since I had to use the pickup anyway, might as well get the bigger camper.

Although I don't see the relevance of this to the thread discuss as its more of a trailer stowage/balance issue than speed issue, I think one needs to be a bit
fairer in judgement of the vehicle when suggesting is not a safe towing a 13' fiberglass trailers with it, even though one has not actually towed one with it.

Having seen the photo (found in this thread post # 21) of the modified smaller boat trailer to kayak/bike trailer mentioned above and the way its loaded I personally would expect it to wiggle around in a side wind of 40 mph as it apparently did , regardless of what I was pulling it with. The plastic kayak on top of the tug acting as a sail probable didnt help out a lot either. The set up in the photo is not anywhere as equally as balanced and or aerodynamic as the 13' trailers other members are towing behind the same car with no problems. Although I admit one may not notice it wiggling around as much if pulling with a large truck (that is until it gets to the point of no return) but I suspect those traveling behind you might notice it.

My personal experience with a similar sized vehicle of the same make was very different than yours in regards to its ability to stick to the road and pull a 16' trailer in high winds with out a hint of a wiggle - winds high enough to put the semi in front of me sides ways on the freeway. I did not realize how windy it was until that event took place. Actually wish I could get my new tug a larger truck to give the same trailer as equal as stable a tow in less windy conditions without having to add a bunch of extra stuff to the hitch set up!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #77

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:

My pickup at 75 is one of the safer setups on here, I'm not worried about it. How many people on here are towing with passenger tires, on stock brakes, 15 year old brake hoses, and the original fluid?

I have high grade grooved and drilled rotors, stainless jacketed Teflon brake hoses, carbon fiber ceramic pads, fresh synthetic brake fluid, and 10 ply load range e tires on the pickup and trailer. I'm also not even close to half of my tow capacity.

Also, my trailers never waddle, without a wd hitch or sway protection. Why? I load them right and don't use bandaids.

I'm done with the thread hijack and self righteous attitudes, that's why I stayed off the board the first time. I should have learned.

Cross drilling went out with organic pads, today it is done for looks only, or for those who don't understand outgassing.

How would you do a wd hitch on that Scamp19?

I'm guessing then that that wasn't you who passed me 4 or 5 times that day??

Chill... I, for one, still love to hear your sage advice!
I do agree with you sometimes...
Like that last sentence for instance!

BTW... my brake hoses are only 14 years old!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #78

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Although this is talked about a lot, I think that something "In writing" from a tire manufacturer is needed. Until than, in the event of a blowout at, say 75 MPH, one doesn't have a tire to stand on! LOL.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 AM   #79

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If my memory serves me correct, Jared's first post here on the forum years ago was about acquiring a Scamp 5th wheel that was close to 30 years old out of state and then towing it home at excessive speeds. I questioned his thinking then due to the old tires and suspension that was on the trailer when he acquired it. Since then he has rebuilt the Scamp himself and did a good job while posting a lot of pictures.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #80

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wow!

There's a wide spectrum of owners on this site. For me I don't drive 75 any longer even when I'm not towing however I do realize others, many others, do drive at high speed. It's OK with me, everyone has a different style and different needs. Like Floyd I have had the same rig speed by me more than once in a day.

I'm happy to read Jared's posts because they are considered. He definitely attempts to tow safely, though at high speed. I'm sure there are many who tow at lower speeds that are less safe. I have heard many times how unsafe I was towing with a Honda CRV. Sometimes you need to just smile and go forward.

The one life lesson I've learned is you can share your opinion, approach, ideas with others but never expect to get agreement or to change anyone. Sharing your knowledge is enough.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #81

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Perhaps unlike many of us, Jared is still employed. Even after my own five years of retirement, I can still remember how it was to only have two weeks to get somewhere, see it, and then rush back in time to be back at work on Monday morning. People who drive faster often have a reason and I think we have to respect that.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #82

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Moderator note:
People ARE allowed to post their thoughts, so please respect this, even if yours differ. Speak your piece, and move on, as we know that debate only leads to aggravation, and aggravation leads to us having to do more clean up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Perhaps unlike many of us, Jared is still employed. Even after my own five years of retirement, I can still remember how it was to only have two weeks to get somewhere, see it, and then rush back in time to be back at work on Monday morning. People who drive faster often have a reason and I think we have to respect that.
Terry, this fits me to a tee too. When I can even get two weeks, I have learned that I much prefer to spend an extended time exploring one or two areas, and not just see the surface of lots of places along the way. If driving faster saves me even one night, it is great. When headed for a distant destination, I prefer to drive long days too, and getting there in good time feels like such a relaxing reward.

In saying that, I rarely exceed the speed limit by more than 10 mph, and only when traffic is generally doing the same, and seldom do I get up to 75 mph, but will if conditions are favourable for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #83

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Well I bought another identical wheel/tire from Walmart and put it on yesterday. Now I have two new matching bias ply ST tires.

I was shocked to see what my old "good" tire looked like after I took it off and could easily see everything:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1420730959.052265.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	79632

Cheeses, I might not have made it another mile without a blowout!

Lesson learned, trailer tires need a lot more inspection than car tires. Checking pressure and a glance at the tread isn't enough.

As I read about many trailer tire failures I wonder if more careful inspection would have caught problems before they blew up on the highway. I'm certain, had I carefully inspected my tires before leaving Alabama last Saturday I would not have left with out new tires

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #84

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Denny, are these both the same tire? If so, how many miles between the 2 shots?